Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:40 AM   #31
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: New Reading Suggestions

Haven't read it in years but I own that copy. I am working through another volume of Robert Jordan's Eye of the World series - The Fires of Heaven, Book Six (or is it book Five?). Been working on this series for almost three years now, can't believe I am only on book five (or is it Six?).

But, when I am done, I will dig out Stranger in a Strange Land and we can start a new discussion thread.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:52 AM   #32
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Sounds good. I also bought The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. On the cover it says something about having a libertarian philosophy. I was sort of curious about that. When I think about it, Stranger in a Strange Land could be seen as being pretty libertarian.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:23 PM   #33
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I actually listened to the so-called unabridged audio book version of Stranger in a Strange Land at work ("so-called" because I tried reading along at home and noticed that several words were omitted from the audio that were in the text version) and enjoyed it very much, mostly because the character Jubal Harshaw (sp?) was read with a a Virginian accent that reminded me of the accent used by Stonewall Jackson in the movie Gods and Generals.

I'm pretty sure there's only two versions of the book. The one as it appeared in 1961 or whenever and the 1984 version that recovered some 50,000 words. I don't even know if the 1961 version is available anymore.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 03:44 PM   #34
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

Has anybody every seen Carl Sagan's tv show "The Cosmos"? I'm watching it again for the second time, first time was a few years ago, and, man, this is a good show. Seriously, I almost wept at the end of the show about Johannes Kepler. Anyway, apparently Kepler wrote the first, or one of the first, science fiction stories, The Somnium (the other being that book by Edward-Bulwer, Lord Lytton, I think is name is):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048...e=UTF8&s=books(How do I hide a link behind a phrase?)

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Aug 19, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:15 AM   #35
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge

After thousands of years of searching, humans stand on the verge of first contact with an alien race. Two human groups: The Qeng Ho, a culture of free, innovative traders, and the Emergents, a ruthless society based on the technological enslavement of minds.

The group that opens trade with the aliens will reap unimaginable riches. But first, both groups must wait at the aliens' very doorstep for their strange star to relight and for the alien planet to reawaken, as it does every two hundred and fifty years...

Amidst terrible treachery, the Qeng Ho must fight for their freedom and for the lives of the unsuspecting innocents on the planet below, while the aliens themselves play a role unsuspected by the Qeng Ho and Emergents alike.

I loved this book so much. I still haven't read his A Fire Upon the Deep, which is actually apparently better.

I reccommend this story though! Read. It.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:58 AM   #36
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I think I'm going to, actually.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:46 AM   #37
scifi_lover
Trust No One

Good plan.

DOOO IT! *shakes fist*
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:46 AM   #38
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I ordered used copies of that one and the first one from amazon.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:04 PM   #39
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I haven't read that particular book but I have read Vernor Vinge before, The Peace War was one I specifically remember, and I recall not enjoying his writing. I seem to remember him taking the idea of defense technology and absolutely running it into the ground with every imaginable "What if" scenario, to the point of absurdity really, at least in my opinion. Still have it in paperback somewhere. Read it about 12 years ago.

Last edited by HighWiredSith : Aug 22, 2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:51 AM   #40
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

Well, that's a bummer. I thought it looked good when I read about it at amazon. The only thing that made me not want to buy them is the fact that David Brin liked them. I guess he must be a good writer because he's won the nebula or hugo awards or both, but I thought some of his arguments for not liking Star Wars and Joseph Campbell were pretty ridiculous. Which is not to say that you can't have intelligent reasons for not liking either of those subjects (Kurt Vonnegut doesn't like Joseph Campbell for some reason, even though I wasn't crazy about his argument, either, but I have a great deal of respect for Vonnegut [the little I've read of him]), but the arguments I've heard from David Brin were pretty ridiculous, I thought, the kind of arguments that were based on prejudice but very little knowledge of what he was criticizing.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:46 AM   #41
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I've seen a couple of interviews with Vernor Vinge. He's quite the arrogant little cuss - very critical of any style or type of Science Fiction that does not conform to his rather narrow interpretation of the genre. He's particularly critical of Frank Hebert and Robert Heinlen and went into a rather scathing rant about the pitiful state of Science Fiction film. I must admit that it somewhat clouded my refelctions on his novels that I read previously and I have not read him since.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:47 PM   #42
scifi_lover
Trust No One

Quote:
I've seen a couple of interviews with Vernor Vinge. He's quite the arrogant little cuss - very critical of any style or type of Science Fiction that does not conform to his rather narrow interpretation of the genre.

I noticed that too. I admit I think that Vernor Vinges' opinion on science fiction is different to many others, but I do think he should give them a damn chance too.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:27 PM   #43
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

And yet, I think you've intrigued me SFLover, to perhaps pick up some Vernor Vinge. His mantle full of Hugo awards indicates that he's definatley a solid SF writer. The one you posted looks interesting, might have to check it out.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:55 PM   #44
scifi_lover
Trust No One

Hehe. I've intrigued you. I feel special
Old Nov 5, 2006, 05:10 PM   #45
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I haven't read this, but it looks interesting (I'm also posting because I think it's depressing to see all of these adds fronting all of the forums):

Critical Theory and Science Fiction, by Carl Freedman

Maybe this one is good, too:

The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room