Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old May 25, 2006, 04:09 AM   #76
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: New looks and features

Heh. I only just noticed the b-movie style headings - "SHARE...your thoughts!"
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 04:09 AM   #77
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramses
Agreed, the main site's not looking too bright ; I'm testing content/ad positioning. This is more a stepping stone look towards the desired cleaner design, which you can have a peek at here (beta version):

Screenshot #1 (JPG, 1258x2601, 593k)

*Note to self: Until Iwata's revolution comes, have an escape launch vehicle fueled and ready for take off.

Otherwise quite lovely, but has a somewhat sterile feel in my opinion, maybe it's the lack of colour or maybe I've grown too fond the colourschemes of current SciFlicks.

It's a nice start.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 04:49 AM   #78
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Mucho impressive

Will the change of colour scheme apply to the forums as well, do you know?

I like the header at the top of the page - will each movie have its own similar heading?

This is exciting
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 04:55 AM   #79
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Hey, since we can review films, like on IMDb, could the site also have a Top 50 like IMDb does?

Though I do have a feeling that Predator will be to SciFlicks what Lord of the Rings is to IMDb...
Old May 25, 2006, 05:01 AM   #80
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Feel free to ignore but it was this or accounting (I hate balancing books):

Stuff That Rocks:
• Clickable SF Topics to find other movies with similar themes
• Ratings
• Reviews (excited excited excited)
• Clean design – yay (hence the jaw drop) and it’s nice and light.
• Count down, highly visible & looks like a movie ticket
• Cickable links to cast & crew
• Picture Gallery film reel
• Newly tweaked forum posts
• Comments on Reviews (more interactivity – bonus)

Stuff that could need Tweaking
• Share your Toughts > Thoughts
• Oscar is partly right with the lack of personality (I can think of 3 other films sites that look similar – one being IMDB [but we’re prettier ] the others being SF ones). However I’m a firm believer in the content giving the site character and I like clean designs. Possible tweak ideas to make it more ‘sciflicks’/unique
o ‘User Reviews’ > Pilot/Squad Reviews
o ‘Member Reviews Verdict’ > Sciflicks/Pilot/Squad Verdict
o Reviews verdict (i.e. ‘Very Good!’) changing them to something more unique to sciflicks (and fun) – but easily understandable
o Potential for more user content outside of reviews???
• Tilt – I actually like it (having read the explanation in Suggestions) because it’s kooky and has personality, however I don’t think new browsers will ‘get’ it

Other Stuff
• The count down is US right? Can we have a section for international release dates (ideally with a link in the main count down to more dates)?
• What’s the Community Input bit? Fan fic/fan art (photoshoping, comic strips) etc? There are some wicked online film comedy cartoon strips around, would it be possible to host some with link backs?
• New Section? How ‘Newsy’ is it going to be? Is it site news? Movie news? TV news? Can we submit articles (obviously have to be guidelines, as in writing ourselves and only quoting select parts, copy/paste bad)?
• What kind of material can be submitted? (Submit material link)
• Trivia (Yay – including quotes right?), but what’s the Analysis bit?
• Will we be able to search reviews by Reviewer (some people will like some reviewers better than others – plus it’s a way to guage what other movies to watch)? Can reviewers be notified that they have a new comment to their review?
• What Nex said about a top 50 is 50 too much? Or would it be easier to rate them all top to bottom? Maybe Top 10/20 Released? Or top 10 for each SF theme??? And Top 10 most anticipated (unreleased) would be really nice.

OMG TV! There’s a TV bit! Battlestar Galactica! Yay! Or er…is that just gonna be the old TV schedule and nothing else?

(Can't wait for the new site to go live)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 05:23 AM   #81
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Ok, does anyone else think Seraph is a little too excited about this?

I do second the suggestions about adding little touches to make it more sciflicks-y - perhaps the new people that ost stuff but don't actually join the Squad could be given their own SF-y status/name? Just so we don't alienate them by being to o clique-y.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:25 AM   #82
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

*Goody bags flashback...*

I'm excited too. New SciFlicks, WHEEE!
Old May 25, 2006, 05:27 AM   #83
Seraph

This is the coolest thing to happen to sciflicks - period. It's fabtabulous! And I haven't had any sugar today.

I love extra goody stuff and that's what we're getting, it's like sitting with the vanilla copy of Desperado for years then one day you get a present of the Mariachi trilogy.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:28 AM   #84
Seraph

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus
*Goody bags flashback...*

I'm excited too. New SciFlicks, WHEEE!
See?

I love Nex I do

____________________-
P.S. Can we change the 60 sec rule to 30 secs? Pretty please? How many pleases do I have to type before it will let me post?
Old May 25, 2006, 05:31 AM   #85
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Man, and to think I was only meant to be online for five minutes...I have an exam tomorrow! Damn you, Ramses for making SciFlicks so much fun!
Old May 25, 2006, 05:39 AM   #86
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Go and revise, damn you!

And I second, third and fourth the repeal of the 60 second rule and re-instatement with an amended time of 30 seconds - please, Rames? Please?
Old May 26, 2006, 05:24 AM   #87
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000

Definitely adding your suggestions to the TODO list.

Oscar: After days of design, I came to realize that I forgot one basic rule: grays don't count as colors. As an afterthought, I tried adding a tad of yellow but I agree with you, the look is somewhat sterile. Hopefully content will bring color it it?

Splendiferous: Yes, the forums will be upgraded/modified to roughly match the new looks. Each movie can have its own set of headers (they rotate smoothly and are stream-loaded after page-load), however depending on feedback regarding bandwidth usage I may have to throttle their sizes back. If no headers are available, a smaller default one shows up.

Seraph: Tweaks noted and implementing, thanks! *Note to self: watc out for tose darn 'h' letter tings.*

Countdown is currently US based, but I made it so it's easy to add dates for other countries as well. Using geo-targeting, pilots and visitors alike would then have their respective release dates showcased.

Some tags are either ideas for the future or simply me trying to group sub-pages under a single heading. As for news and material submitting, we'll be discussing them shortly.

[moving thread to suggestion box]
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 05:31 AM   #88
Seraph

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramses
Countdown is currently US based, but I made it so it's easy to add dates for other countries as well. Using geo-targeting, pilots and visitors alike would then have their respective release dates showcased.
Very very very very very very friggin cool. I don't actually know anywhere else that does that (which I've wanted a place to do for ages), then I haven't looked in awhile.
Old May 30, 2006, 02:32 PM   #89
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

just popping in and out quickly over the last few weeks, but from a visual perspective, everything looks the exact same to me, cept for the flashy orange advertisement on top and sides.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 03:01 PM   #90
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Forums-wise, there's the ad, the blue-gradient background and new/moved forums.

Site-wise it now looks a bit bittier, but that's only temporary while Ramses is working on The Great Overhaul.

It WILL be shiny!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems