Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old May 24, 2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000
Rebuilding main sciflicks site, can users help Ramses?

Bringing the site up-to-date with content and multimedia is a huge task. Ramses is sure spending a lot of time on this since there is a large gap since 2002 .

So Ramses, is there a way members can help in finding images , plots, reviews for recent movies?

If you can set a layout for needed information I am sure a lot of members could provide help , and possibly make the whole task much easier for you.

How about it?

Last edited by Ivan : May 24, 2006 at 07:09 AM.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Rebuilding main sciflicks site, can users help Ramses?

Could we write the reviews? I'd like the site to be melded closer to the forum; it'd be better to get members to write original reviews rather than copying and pasting off somewhere else...

EDIT: The reviews for Back to the Future and Metropolis must be replaced! Way too short to be decent, analytical reviews - and 3/5?! BLASPHEMY!!

Last edited by Nexus : May 24, 2006 at 06:49 AM.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 06:58 AM   #3
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Second and second. Think that most of us would love to help out/give back to and grow a place that's pretty much home to us - especially for films we love.

Another nice idea is if people could rate the films, along with a selection of squad reviews for each film it gives the site a more unique feel and more information for someone to decide whether it might be their type of film or not - not everyone's taste/expectations are the same and prevents too much skewing to one viewpoint. Possibly another incentive to get newbies more involved/more sf posts.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 06:59 AM   #4
Ivan

Well i think reviews are tricky and I don't think he should give it to just anyone besides, if you give-take review only from fans of a specific movie all will get high rating.

For reviews you have to have consistency in the sense that you review a bunch of movies even the ones you don't like or don't review at all.

I was thinking more in the lines of extensive plot and multimedia , like screen caps , sound clips.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

I always review things I don't like - it's fun bashing them.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:06 AM   #6
Ivan

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Another nice idea is if people could rate the films, along with a selection of squad reviews for each film it gives the site a more unique feel and more information for someone to decide whether it might be their type of film or not - not everyone's taste/expectations are the same and prevents too much skewing to one viewpoint. Possibly another incentive to get newbies more involved/more sf posts.

Yeah it would be great if say after 500 posts or more you get the privilege to rate movies and write squad reviews.

So we could have a regular rating of the original reviewer and then Squad rating average with specific squad member review.

That would be neat.

BTW I think I'll move this to the suggestion forum.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:11 AM   #7
Seraph

Re Reviews: No all content for a site should be tightly edited before deciding they can even be used and reviews from different viewpoints should be highly encouraged. Think about Last Movie we watched thread - it's not all love. There's only 1 thing I hate about Play, it doesn't have reviews like Amazon, you can't a 'feel' for something before you buy it - and the site makes money from referrals for purchases right? Get the people to trust the site and they'll wanna come here before going to watch/buy something - if the purchase link happens to be happy and dandy there...

You can talk about a film you love, but a review should be quite different. Definatly agree with one's don't like etc. Hence having a selection so people can 'balance' out and judge for themselves - no reviewer is impartial and everyone has different expectations/tastes; hence different people preferring different movie tv reviews shows or movie mags.

Er all the reviews seem to come from Scifi Movie Page - are we affiliated with them? Aren't they kind of our competition? P.S. the link to them needs fixing it currently goes to a redirect page.

Re the rest: as above seconded

edit: this was to your 1st post after mine Ivan (I wanna type hoe ) and better on the moving to suggestions.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:14 AM   #8
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
So we could have a regular rating of the original reviewer and then Squad rating average with specific squad member review.

This reminds me of what some movie critics' websites do - after the review, there's either a list of comments by members after it, or a link that reads "What do you think of this movie?", which takes you to a thread of the same title in the movie's forum, where you post your own reviews...

I'd still like to see new directors in the Artist Database, like Cronenberg and Gilliam...
Old May 24, 2006, 07:16 AM   #9
Ivan

Also I think that we should have 10/10 rating star system and not 5/5 star system.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:19 AM   #10
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

I prefer 5/5's, but only because I very, very rarely give a film a 10 or a 1.

How I rate:

1 star = 1 or 2 out of 10
2 stars = 3 or 4 out of 10
3 stars = 5 or 6 out of 10
4 stars = 7 or 8 out of 10
5 stars = 9 or 10 out of 10
Old May 24, 2006, 07:20 AM   #11
Seraph

I like 5, it's simpler visually (but I always wind up needing half stars).

P.S. To above: critques of reviews (via a comments section or something) are a good balancing point too. Plus added interactive goodness for newbies.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:21 AM   #12
Ivan

Well after looking at the screen-shot Ramses posted I belive most of what we are talking about here is already planned to be implemented.

Which is great. It looks like we are going to have a cool , slick new site.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:38 AM   #13
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000

Wow, thanks for the kind offers fellow pilots!

Pilot-contributed plots and multimedia is definitely welcome. I'll be rolling out features one at a time, commencing with a few core elements like reviews, and then expanding into other fields.

The current reviews do come from affiliate South African website Sci-Fi Movie Page, but won't for long: as Nexus says, some of these are rather short (true, I edited some to remove spoilers). Pilots and new faces alike can surely produce more detailed critiques. Additionally, a large spectrum collection of reviews as suggested by Seraph would indeed make for a more balanced and fair approach. We definitely think alike.

Currently, the review system under development splits-up ratings into 5 components, averaging them into an overall score:
  1. Engaging Story/script: How good is the story good and is it engaging?
  2. Credible Science: How believable is the science portrayed?
  3. Cast & Directing: How talented are the cast and the director?
  4. Audio & Visuals: How balanced and what quality are the cinematography/photography, score and effects (for the time)?
  5. Viewers' Tilt: How much fun did you have watching this?
  6. Overall: round(sum(1,5)/5, 1)
This should help give more accurate credits in case of situations like badly-acted, low-budget yet worthy movies with very interesting story and science.
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 02:48 AM   #14
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

That's an interesting way to do it...

Wow, I consider Metropolis a 5-star movie, but that has such a silly story, I wonder how it would turn out now...
Old May 25, 2006, 03:39 AM   #15
Seraph

~quivers~

I'm SO excited (and I haven't even looked at the other thread yet). More GADGETS!

~scuttles off~

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems