Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old May 25, 2006, 05:42 AM   #31
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Rebuilding main sciflicks site, can users help Ramses?

I think they'll come out weirdly accurate.

And more fields! More! More! More!

<<bursts through wall and rampages through the streets in search of more fields>>

Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 05:42 AM   #32
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus
Well, I like that Ivanhoe put "Script" instead of "Story". A film can have a great script, but no story. Not every film is a piece of escapist adventure with a three-act structure, like an "introduction, danger/problem, climax" narrative. Look a European films, for example - such as Besson's La Dernier Combat.

Actually...

Maybe it's because I'm not a mathmatical person, but I'd really rather just give it the rating that feels right. I've been doing that for years. I can't help but think that some of the ratings will turn out weird instead of accurate. Um, sorry.

I know how you feel , that is why I sugested that we have these categories for informationall purpose and give overal rating separete from any mathematicall conections.

But If we don't do this we must have more categories.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 05:45 AM   #33
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

While I do think people could go fanboy, people's overall ratings might still be quite upsetting. Imagine Phlub's reaction when he realises how terrible Predator is.

Actually, maybe it'll turn all right as long as we put in our own subjective, overall rating, instead of (or as well as) working out the rating mathmatically. I doubt we'd ever come across a "perfect" 10 film though.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 05:45 AM   #34
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

I think the overall rating should be based on the individual aspects. It'll just take a little getting used to and fidning the most effective fields.

EDIT : I think it'll end up being fanboy-ratings only if the overall rating is based on subjective voting and not the average of the options made available to us. I don't think it would be fair to films other than Predator, which has a HUGE amount of fans, don't forget, despite its npot being entirely brilliant
Old May 25, 2006, 05:46 AM   #35
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Woah...mind melting, realisation.

Ivan wants to go subjective and I'm arguing for a statistical amalgamation?

THE WORLD IS ENDING!

(Agreeing with Splend, however I'm teatering between lots of categories and user boredom - don't make it too complicated)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 05:47 AM   #36
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Whoa, dude, like, really instant replies. Like the early days of the C H A T thread.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:50 AM   #37
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Just think how wildly innacurate the imdb ratings are. I rest my case

(inflates his inflatable fallout shelter in preperation for the end of the world)
Old May 25, 2006, 05:50 AM   #38
Ivan

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Woah...mind melting, realisation.

Ivan wants to go subjective and I'm arguing for a statistical amalgamation?

THE WORLD IS ENDING!

Statistics are useless. What good does it make that you know a coin will fall 50% - 50% heads/tails percentage in infinity.

You will never be able to throw a coin infinite number of times.

See my point.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:55 AM   #39
Seraph

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

Statistics are useless. What good does it make that you know a coin will fall 50% - 50% heads/tails percentage in infinity.

You will never be able to throw a coin infinite number of times.

See my point.
The point is everyone has different tastes, by breaking them down into different categories and making people think more you can balance off more of the subjectivity against the multiple ratings. As Splend said you also get a truer view of what is good about the picture in an easy to see way - which also results in a more honest overall rating.

Just have an overall rating and it's like sticking a pin in a map blindfolded. Everyone rates on different criteria.

(So ditto on the IMDB - but then again you'll still get some of that here, because a lot of it is to do with new movies being fresh in peoples minds and they don't have the benefit of hindsight to see how well it ages etc)
Old May 25, 2006, 05:56 AM   #40
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
Just think how wildly innacurate the imdb ratings are. I rest my case

Yeah, like I said, there could be a fanboy attack. Fortunately, I rate my films sensibly. Well, I rate them differently from everyone else anyway. For example, in my opinion, a film that is a 10/10 must be perfect in every single possible way (which is why I rarely give films a 10 or a 1). When I went on IMDb's Silent Hill message board, I was surrounded by people saying things like, "Well, even though the dialogue was sometimes a bit crap and the witch sub-plot was a bit silly, I give this film a 10/10!"

I'm really not sure if I'm For or Against this rating system. It'll stop the fanboys giving films ridiculous ratings, but I'd still like to put in my own personal rating that feels right to me. If SciFlicks were to have a Top 50 list like IMDb does, the films can be ranked by the objective/mathmatical rating instead of the "fanboy" rating. Maybe we could have two lists - a Greatest list and a Most Popular list!
Old May 25, 2006, 05:58 AM   #41
Seraph

Ooooh see now I like the idea of the true (honest) score vs the popularity score.
Old May 25, 2006, 06:02 AM   #42
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

See, Nex - YOU rate sensibly on an overall system, and that's great But it doesn't mean that everyone will. I think it would be a farce. Take a look in the Predator forum and tell me those guys would post as sensibly as you.

(when all else fails, fall back on smug snobbishness - you'd never guess I was only HALF English )

I think you can vote with what feels right to you - you'll just do it on the individual aspects rather than the overall.

Although the splitting of Greatest/Popular is a very swanky idea
Old May 25, 2006, 06:03 AM   #43
Ivan

Ok, people , we are so deep into this at his point. I think we need some feedback from Ramses as soon as possible.
Old May 25, 2006, 06:05 AM   #44
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Agreed - I think we've all made our points, now other members can and Ramses will hopefully get a chance to actually read this thread without it getting updated every few minutes
Old May 25, 2006, 06:05 AM   #45
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Yeah, perhaps we should display two different ratings out of 10 on the review page...

Last edited by Nexus : May 25, 2006 at 08:13 AM.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems