Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Jul 8, 2006, 03:12 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
30 Days of Night

Article

Josh Hartnet to star in 30 Days

Josh Harnett will star in the vampire drama "30 Days of Night" for Columbia Pictures. Sam Raimi & Rob Tapert are producing with David Slade set to direct.

The movie is set in Barrow, Alaska, the northernmost town in the United States where the sun doesn't appear for more than 30 days during the dead of winter - a natural haven for vampires! The local sheriff (played by Hartnett) and his wife are forced to choose between saving themselves and helping the town survive until daylight returns.

Due to shoot in early August in New Zealand, no release date has been set as yet. The movie is based on the graphic novel by Steve Niles which was illustrated by Ben Templesmith.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Re: 30 Days of Night

It was a very cool comic. And I hear it's being directed by the Hard Candy guy. But Josh Hartnett. Awooga! Awooga! Danger Will Robinson Again! Awooga!
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

What Jill said.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:23 AM   #4
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I have never heard of this before.

And you never know, Josh Harnett might prove to be just the right man to cast as a local sherrif/saviour-from-vampires ...

<<suffers an explosive fit of giggles>>

Ben Templesmith ... he's the artist that drew for Fell, right? Is this the comic he was referring to when he said "I'll draw Fell as long as I don't have to draw any more ****ing vampires"?
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Yep, remind me about this thread if you're msn on later and you may get a pressie.

(He didn't screw up Sin City, yeah ok he was only in about 5 mins)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Hooray, I like my present! Near the end of first one, so far so good. Can't quite see Josh Hartnett in the part, though. Benefit of the doubt, though, I guess.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,103 flights since Jun 2004

Well....he was good in Black Hawk Down....but then all he had to do was scream a lot and shoot stuff. So maybe....maybe theres hope.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 04:41 AM   #8
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Right, I've devoured 30 Days of Night and the first of Dark Days. Excellent stuff, some very creepy vampires there. And no, I don't think Josh Hartnett fits the part at all now, but you never know, he might bring his own kind of twist to it, sometimes casting against type is good.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 05:31 AM   #9
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
Right, I've devoured 30 Days of Night and the first of Dark Days. Excellent stuff, some very creepy vampires there. And no, I don't think Josh Hartnett fits the part at all now, but you never know, he might bring his own kind of twist to it, sometimes casting against type is good.

Stop there. After Dark Days, they began to milk it with endless, pointless sequels...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:11 AM   #10
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill_valentine
It was a very cool comic. And I hear it's being directed by the Hard Candy guy. But Josh Hartnett. Awooga! Awooga! Danger Will Robinson Again! Awooga!
coughMelissaGeorgeisStellacough*

*Melissa George is an australian actress most famous in the UK for being Angel from the Australian beach soap opera: Home & Away. Jill has previously been known to hold fettishs for random australian soap actresses - as evidenced by Radha Mitchell & Alias.

She'll be plalying Stella - Hartnett's wife who kicks arse as I recollect (though haven't gotten around to reading them myself yet).
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:25 AM   #11
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Well, I read the ones you sent me, Seraph, (for which thanks again, btw) and she's certainly beginning to kick arse.

Not being a soap-er, though, I don't know who Melissa Thingie is. Just as well, probably
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:29 AM   #12
Seraph

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0313534/

She also appears in random episodes of: Hercules, Alias, Roar (I think) and god knows what else. Huh. I think Jill has a thing for blonds.

Oh and 'mind me to send the others next time, totally forgot.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 03:43 PM   #13
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

I have, as Becks would attest if she were here, a most definite thing for blondes.

And I have much, much love for random Australian blondes, but Melissa George is kind of different, since I so closely associate her with the sunny, after school evenings of my late childhood. Anyway - Angel was a rebellious runaway who came to Summer Bay and joined Pippa's creepy incestuous-esque brood of foster children. She fell in love with local bad-boy Shane, who had a weird face, but everyone I knew was in love with him. Everybody said those crazy kids couldn't make it, but their love would carry them through. They were all set to get married, when Angel got hit by a car and paralysed. She learned to walk again - Sob! - just in time for their wedding day. They were Kylie and Jason for my generation, and when Shane died part of me died with him, even if nobody in the world seems to remember what killed him. He died on a rock though, I remember that. Angel moved to England, if I remember right, and that was the end of my life with Home and Away forever.

So imagine my delight when Melissa George started showing up in Friends as the hot nanny Molly, and Amityville Horror, and then Alias as The Most Obvious Double Agent Ever, aka Oh Thank God, She's Not Sydney. True to her badass form, she was still able to shout abuse even after being shot right through the mouth. I had a nice picture of her getting shot to bits in my signature for ages, but I never got back into Alias after she died.

I just don't care, Jennifer Garner, I'm sorry.

Point is, Seraph knows I am an easily manipulated foo, and this is very good news, so I'm going to downgrade the Hartnett alert to a 2 Point Awooga.

Last edited by jill_valentine : Aug 15, 2006 at 03:59 PM.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:00 PM   #14
Seraph

Okaaaaaaay. Eh, I really don't know...

( Trailer, clickity click )
Old Jun 10, 2007, 04:18 AM   #15
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Hmm. Doesn't look fantastic, doesn't look all that bad. Not sure what they're saying, though, as mum's pottering around the kitchen and I couldn't hear a thing

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy