Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ]

From "Scanners" to "X-Men: The Movie"...

Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:05 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
The Village: Interviews

This movie should really have its own heading, but a thread in its honor can be found in the Signs forum here:
http://forums.sciflicks.com/showthre...hlight=village

Articles
Adrien Brody
http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0408026

Academy Award-winning actor Adrien Brody co-stars as Noah Percy, a mentally challenged man, in M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village," which opened in theaters everywhere last weekend. Set in 1897, the film tells the story of an isolated village in the middle of the woods. But a dark and deadly secret keeps the inhabits of this village within the town boundaries, as it is believed that there are evil and deadly creatures lurking in the surrounding forrest. The humans believe that there is a simple understanding between them and the creatures: do not bother us and we will not bother you. But when a curious inhabitant, Lucius Hunt (Joaquin Phoenix), decides to curiously venture into the woods, members of Covington, Pennsylvannia begin to fear for their lives, as a frightening terror has been unleashed after a truce for hundreds of years has been broken.

Q: I hate to make this sound bad, but you make a pretty good village idiotÖ

ADRIEN: Oh yeah? Thank you. Does that sound bad? Itís a complimen,t I guess. I mean it doesnít bother me, thatís why I took the job. I did a lot of research for that. Itís a complicated role and its more than just playing a guy whoís...I felt like there was a number of elements to that character and I couldnít just attribute it to being, you know mentally retarded, I think there were a combination of things. So I researched a lot of characters that didnít adapt to society well. And then, created my own within that.

Q: Describe your experiences of Night's 19th century boot camp.

ADRIEN: Well it was really, really a lot of fun. I did a real boot camp once with "The Thin Red Line" which was nothing but MREís and learning military exercises. And this was far less strenuous. It was kind of refreshing to spend a week or so without my cell phone. You know, I really had a blast. I mean, we were all thrown into the woods and you know, we didnít have any of the modern conveniences that we take for granted. And learn how to survive without anything. No matches. And because of the rebellious nature of my character, any excuse I could find I would go and like get into trouble and go steal food from the kitchen and wine and go out camping in the middle of the woods. They have to send a search party out for me in the morning [*laughs*], but it was all appropriate.

Q: You said it was refreshing not to have the cell phone, but what was almost maddening not to have?

ADRIEN: The cell phone [*chuckles*]. Uh what was maddening not to have? It was tough, youíd be surprised how difficult it is to relinquish a cell phone. But I think we really take for granted how just our meals are prepared or to be able to go to the super market and grab something we wanted, whether you were craving caffeine. Or if you want to start a fire, you better get to work and keep it lit. And learn how to make rope with a certain kind of tree bark. You fray it and bray it. It was amazing.

Q: What was Night like working with actors. Does he give you a lot of freedom?

ADRIEN: Yeah, I think, Night manages to do a remarkable thing. He makes most of his actors feel comfortable and free and yet maintains his vision quite specifically. I mean, he storyboards a lot. And when you have things that are storyboarded, you generally know how things are set up for the day, and then you can stray from that, but basically, you have a good sense as an actor, how things are gonna play out. And the way certain scenes will be set up, which I think is really helpful. Night gave me in particular a lot of freedom. We tried to, you know, the advantages we had from this boot camp period, where we had this kind of opportunity to rehearse and for the cast to get to know one another really well, which I think is invaluable. And then I think, um, within the rehearsal period, I think Night saw my character in a different way than I did, and we kind of figured out a way to, um, I think he trusted me, and we were thinking along the terms of, ďif you could imagine slightly odder portrayal, and perhaps a little darker.Ē And he let me go, and I felt emotionally free place and overly joyous and sensitive.

Q: What do you think life would be like if there was no money, no greed, if we lived like this utopian society?

ADRIEN: Well, its hard to imagine. I donít think that thatís the only downfall of society Ė money and greed. I think life in general is way too complex to be harmonious at all times. I think even on a cellular level, I mean, for one part of a the body or for one organism to survive, another has to lose. Thereís always turmoil. I think that makes life interesting, but I think life would be great if things were simpler, on a lot of levels for a lot of people.

Q: But do you feel like um, are you one to believe that we just over-romanticize the part or are you someone that belong in different places at times?

ADRIEN: Do I belong in different place? No Iím happy that Iím here now. I think its easy to look at another time or another lifestyle and see uh, you know, a prettier picture than it really is because we donít know it well. I mean, I can tell you that people see me and have a whole bunch of expectations or feelings that my life must be run, and I may even have those feelings until I experience them firsthand. And so you know, the grass is always greener. But I think we live in a pretty amazing time right now, in modern medicine and technology and it may be hectic, but its pretty phenomenal.

Q: Nightís movies are so shrouded in secrecy, what kind of security measures were there surrounding the script? And how difficult was it to keep it a secret?

ADRIEN: Well, they, Night swore me to secrecy first of all. And I think Night even hesitated at me seeing the script if I wasnít going to do the movie. And Night made me promise not to show the script to anyone, including my representatives, so my agents didnít even read the script. I been loyal to that, none of my friends, my family, no ones seen it. I havenít really discussed much of even my character or the research I done. I did lot of that on my own.

Q: How difficult was it?

ADRIEN: Its difficult when youíre doing the press. Because Iím really about the work and I want to talk about the process and I want to talk about all the interesting people I met along the way and how it shaped me. And I think thereís been a little concern about that and they asked me to be very general and vague. And I donít like to answer questions in a vague way. I like to respond honestly, especially when it comes to what I do, which is I work at creating a character and thatís what its about. And if even discussions of my character become difficult to do, it makes it difficult. In general, its kind of fun to keep a secret, its not, you know, as long as no one is getting hurt, its fun. And I think, people go to the movies and they know too much about the movie before they go into it, whether itís the advertising or theyíre reading too many stories about it, and they donít know, I mean, they know the essential elements of the story before even going into it and I think that sabotages a thriller.

Q: Its an interesting comment to make because youíre involved now in revisiting a character, or at least re-imagining a character thatís sort of iconic in Hollywood history, in the Jack Driskel "King Kong" story. How do you approach that?

ADRIEN: Well, its interesting. I guess it takes on the life of its own when you do a project like that. I mean, I couldnít see myself revealing that actorís interpretation in the 30ís. I think thereís a lot to be improved upon. I also feel like stylistically it was really fantastic and there are elements of that behavior that I would incorporate but not necessarily that characterís interpretation. And I think that character will change to some degree. And, thereís a lot of room for change with a movie like that. You know, you have the same problem, I think more so with playing a real life character, like in "The Pianist," I think I have more of a responsibility to be true to characteristics to Szpilman than I would to another actorís interpretation in a movie that may be recreated.

Q: Do you feel like "The Village" deals with issues of today?

ADRIEN: Part of what attracted me to The Village was that it had a lot of parallels with contemporary issues, like fear and the way fear controls us in a way governments or the governing body of a village or a town or a nation controls us through fear. They might even mean well by it, but we are conditioned to be afraid of things. Fear of the unknown, fear of terrorism, and its unfortunate. Realistically, there are things to be afraid of in this world, but I kind of, I was attracted to those parallels, I as attracted to a film that on one level that will, I think make a large audience excited and feel the ride of the thriller. But thereís a little deeper commentary about whatís going today in todayís world, even though its taking place in a different time.

Q: Can you tell us a little something about "The Jacket"?

ADRIEN: The Jacket, what can I tell you about The Jacket. The Jacketís a story about a soldier who survives the Gulf War but is injured and has a memory problem and implicated in a murder. And heís sentenced to a mental institution. And in the mental institution, heís experiencing some pretty intense treatment, so to speak, and kind of has outer-body experiences. Itís a very complicated story, but along the way thereís a love story in there with Keira Knightley. I think itís a fantastic role for me, and it was a dramatic piece and that too had elements of a thriller.

Q: How has your life changed after winning the Oscar?

ADRIEN: My life is similar, but just a little more visible. I donít feel like Iíve changed all that much. I still do what I like to do. And I had the same goals and I try to be the same kind of person and grow. Just a little more visible.

Q: Now that Halle Berry is single, will you beÖ.

ADRIEN: [*laughs*] I donít know, Iíve been asked that actually.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:06 PM   #2
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Re: The Village: Interviews

M. Night Shyamalan
http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0407301

M. Night Shyamalan returns with his latest thriller, "The Village," opening in theaters everywhere this weekend. Set in 1897, the film tells the story of an isolated village in the middle of the woods. But a dark and deadly secret keeps the inhabits of this village within the town boundaries, as it is believed that there are evil and deadly creatures lurking in the surrounding forrest. The humans believe that there is a simple understanding between them and the creatures: do not bother us and we will not bother you. But when a curious inhabitant, Lucius Hunt (Joaquin Phoenix), decides to curiously venture into the woods, members of Covington, Pennsylvannia begin to fear for their lives, as a frightening terror has been unleashed after a truce for hundreds of years has been broken.

Q: Was there something special that attracted you to that landscape for the film?

NIGHT: Itís very hard to find a plot of land in the middle of the woods, we had to fly in a helicopter to find it.

Q: Did the woods scare you?

NIGHT: The woods are a place that we are genetically afraid of, we know not to go into them in order to survive, so I am taking advantage of that.

Q: When people mention this film they refer to it as ďoh, that horror movieĒ but it seems to be so much more, how does that make you feel?

NIGHT: I think there is always a desire to put it into a box, it was not intended to be a horror movie, I wanted it to be a period romance and have heighten suspense to the point that it would become freighting. I would feel more comfortable with them saying, ďthat suspense movieĒ.

Q: Within the film there seemed to be political commentary, being that you donít know what the world would be like once your film is released, did you find that events occurring were running parallel to the events in your film?

NIGHT: It came from the feeling that the world is a scary place right now and desire to go back to simplicity; emotional colors were accurate for what your saying. Itís ironic because we wrote this a while ago.

Q: As a film maker and writer how tough is it to keep the element of surprise? Everyone knows how all your films have surprises to them.

NIGHT: I'm just going to be Zen about this: If I worried about the keeping the element of surprise I wouldnít be able to make a "Sixth Sense." So I just going to keep doing what Iím doing.

Q: You say your going to be Zen about this...

NIGHT: Right, which is in reference to me making my movies.

Q: Right, but peoples expectations are going to get out there regardless and that must be frustrating for you...

NIGHT: I canít take it into account. Would you really want me to take that into account? Should that be the basis of my next movie? Thatís why I stay in Philadelphia so that I can draw my ideas from a small pool.

Q: You put your actors for this film through a boot camp. Was it interesting to see who was really into it and who was crying for their cell phones?

NIGHT: They were all very intense about it in there own ways. It gave them the opportunity to do their craft at the highest level. They felt honored to give there all and we all felt there was something precious; the process brought great meaning. I had an opportunity to create a sanctuary.

Q: Bryce [Howard] said that she was shocked you casted her for this role after just seeing her in one play.

NIGHT: Yes, it's this stupid trust that I have in the internet. My wife gets on me for that. She says that Iím lazy but itís really instinct of mine. I didnít even make her audition for it, I had a gut feeling.

Q: You refer to your work process as magic, and during magic tricks there are times where one would hold their breath and wonder whether they will be able to pull the rabbit out of the hat. Do you ever have those moments?

NIGHT: Thereís a reason why signs opened at 60 million. I walked my walk my own way, and you knew that no matter what, you were going to see something different and original. Itís the choices we made: Bryce, the camp, the commitments is what shines though.

Q: You talk about ďyour worldĒ, as being a writer and a director and a producer, doesnít that create a very insulated small group?

NIGHT: Itís absolutely problematic, thatís where Scott Rudin (producer) comes in. We never meet before, I told him to come in here Iím in danger of being too isolated, he looks at what I have and he critiques and challenges me. That is why I hired these monster actors and theater actors, to challenge me. Iím not about being comfortable, I want to be challenged. You always want someone to go, ďwhy thatĒ and ďwhy thisĒ.

Q: Could you live in this utopian society where there is no money, no greed?

NIGHT: Could I live in it? Yeah, the irony is that I donít put a lot of stock into money and materials; they arenít that important. If that stuff went away, I wouldnít give a ****. If those things are your motivators in life, I guarantee crash and burn.

Q: Was it fun to write romance?

NIGHT: I wanted to write a romance, a period romance. I wanted to go back to the1890s where people believed in love. It was hard to write because I had to remove all my sarcasm out of my writing. Today when we say things sarcasm is always there. In that era, when someone said, ďI like youĒ it meant they liked you.

Q: When are you going to get your own TV show?

NIGHT: I have all these ideas that arenít big enough to be movies, but it requires deviation of time and effort that I can not justify. These movies work at the level that their working on because I get to devote two years of my life to them creatively. I have family and all that stuff the requires...time. I canít right now justify that move.

Q: Has there been any interest to do this?

NIGHT: I have been asked by every network to do that same thing. But to do it right, itís a sense of putting your time and love in. But movies are really the format that I want to talk in.
mack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ]