Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:17 AM   #1
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005
The Dark Crystal ( 1982).

Fantastic and underrated Sci-fi fantasy epic from Jim Henson and Frank Oz set in another world and another time where a universal source called "The Dark Crystal" has been cracked with a single crystal shard missing. It created two races known as the Skeckis who rule the castle of the Crystal and are evil reptilian-bird creatures and the gentle mystics that live in a far away land away from the castle, for a thousand years the Skeckis ruled but a prophecy says that a gelfling (Elf-like being) must find the missing piece of the shard from a sorceress so he can bring it back to the castle before the three suns join in one to heal it, if not then the Skeckis will rule the galaxy.

A unique, one-of-a-kind and magical fantasy adventure performed by realistic rubber muppets, animatronics and people in costumes to create one of the most dazzling movies ever. This movie has been a childhood favorite of mine since i was a little boy next to "Last Unicorn", "Batman", "D-i-c-k Tracy" and "Secret of NIMH"! i still love it today and is a must see if you need a break from the fancy CGI these days.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 05:38 AM   #2
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002
Re: The Dark Crystal ( 1982).

It's a great film - in an 80's throwback sort of way. Somewhat dated by today's standard, which is only to be expected. But it is certainly one of the few films from my childhood that I thought did "mystical" very well. And if I remember rightly, it's also a tad slow by modern MTV-generation standards of break-neck editing - which is a refreshing change.
Definitely a film for a rainy Sunday afternoon rather than a beered-up Saturday night.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

I enjoyed this film a great deal, remembering seeing it for the first time on TV so many years ago. Which leaves me worried about the sequel that is supposedly being made now with a combination of CGI effects and puppetry.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
lost
Pilot
19 flights since Oct 2006

Sounds quite dark, is it anything like the Black Cauldron?
lost is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:22 PM   #5
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Yes Lost! but even better, it's a thought provoking and unique movie from Jim Henson. It's even better then the much overrated "Labyrinth" from Henson! the sequel to "TDC" wil be awesome and it's one of my most anticipated movies in 2008.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 07:52 AM   #6
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Oh yeh i forgot to mention, there's also going to be an animated series, video games with one based on the first movie, a manga series from Tokyo Pop, and new merchandise next year which will rock since i'm a huge fan of the movie.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 03:25 AM   #7
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

I can see the Video game, everything gets made into a video game these days.

Much the same that everything gets made into a movie these days. Which consequently, based on this cycle, get's made into a video game. For good or bad.

But a MANGA!? Tokyo Pop is the MTV of manga companies so I can certainly see them doing something like this. But it scares me, it really does. Tokyo Pop will be producing/serializing it, apparently, that just leaves the question of who will be making it. They might as well "jump the shark" and give it Rikudou Koushi. Now that would be fun to read. =D

Edit: The first one appears to be a prequal and will be released November, 17th. Not sure though if that is international or strictly in Japan.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Hell most of the charactor designs have been made already. The Skexises (however the hell you spell the bird guys) Are in World of Warcraft as an entire NPC race.

Its one of those movies I watched as a kid and never really forgot it. Kinda dark for henson though.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:26 AM   #9
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost
Sounds quite dark, is it anything like the Black Cauldron?

Yeh kind of but more darker and delightfully macabre.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy