Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > First Contact

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

First Contact

Welcome to the SQUAD! New pilots, introduce yourself here; veterans will greet you warmly.

Old Sep 7, 2006, 09:55 PM   #1
kc7gr
Apprentice
3 flights since Sep 2006
New arrival, questions, etc...

Hi, folks,

KC7GR here. If you were to look me up in the FCC database, you'd find out that my name is Bruce Lane, and I'm located in Kent, WA.

SciFlicks was an accidental and pleasantly-surprising discovery for me. Oddly enough, I found out about it while searching for references to the two hamateur callsigns used in the movie 'Contact' (I've already made a separate post about that in the appropriate movie section).

Since I have more space here than I do in the 'Bio' section, let me add some stuff. Although I do electronics and computers as both hobby and occupation, I counterbalance it with a healthy interest in exotic animals, notably marine mammals (primarily dolphins and whales) and raptors (birds-of-prey).

In reference to the latter, in fact, I just finished a beginner's course in falconry. Fascinating stuff, and great fun, but I can also tell that I don't have the kind of lifestyle that would be fair to a falcon, owl, or hawk, so I doubt I'll be trying for an actual permit and a bird to go with it.

Am I alone in these endeavors? Essence, no! My wife of 13 years and I have common interests along these lines (in fact, we met around the dolphin petting pool at Sea World, San Diego about 23 years ago).

Let's see, what else...? I'm self-hosted for my Internet presence (meaning I own and run my own servers, including authoritative DNS for my multiple domains), and I'm a big fan of the Firesign Theater, Monty Python, and 'Are You Being Served?' (explanations provided on request if you don't recognize any or all the above).

Despite my residence in WA state, I was born and raised in Berkeley, CA (and bloody proud of it!) My wife also came from California (the southern part).

If I had to pick a single goal in life, it would be to inspire as many people as I can to question EVERYthing, including their own beliefs!

Before I go, I have a couple of questions for the board's moderators (assuming they're reading): What's with all the stupid electronics-for-sale spam in this section of the forum? And isn't there a button to report such obnoxious crap as off-topic and inappropriate?

Remember, Frodo really did fail. Bush has the Ring!

Keep the peace(es).
kc7gr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Re: New arrival, questions, etc...

Not every section has an active mod at the moment, and our admin's real life tends to distract. The plus side being that there's a healthy and damn near unequalled free speech ethic here. Provided you're on-topic and reasonably respectful to fellow posters, it's all good. Spam like that appears once in a while, but recedes after a while too.

Which brings me back to the point - Welcome Aboard!
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Welcome aboard indeed! You'll find the emergency escape pods over there to your left, next to the coffee machine. You know, just in case, we can get a little overwhelming sometimes

If you plan on sticking around, don't forget to check out the avatar/sig options
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:29 AM   #4
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

Screw the avatar sig options! Continue to be different! Fight the power that i'm a part of! Hooah!

Welcome, and may your death be quick and painless.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Cackas
Apprentice
2 flights since Sep 2006
Smile newby

G'day guys,
I'm new here too! Although I'm from australia...I'm guessing this is an American site? I found it whilst looking for quotes from the film "Gattaca", to help me with my yr. 12 english essay. I'm not exactly a sci-fi 'movie-buff' but I thought Gattaca was a very interesting insight into the "not so distant future"...
I must say this site is pretty cool. I might stick me nose in here and there if I feel the need... Catchya later!
Cackas
Cackas is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:44 PM   #6
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

Hey guys!

Bwahah... haha. Australians will take over the world!

Okay, so not really. I need more caffeine.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Strewth! Another one!

SF, are you organising a take-over?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:48 PM   #8
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Canada will forever have my vote for supreme overlords of the world. Canada rules. So take that, Australia.

It'll be a mighty battle - the war we never predicted - but the Canadian-Australian war will determine the way of things to come.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:51 PM   #9
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

I may/may not be hosting a takeover. Splendiferous may/may not be dead tomorrow for finding out about this truth/lie.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:57 PM   #10
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Didn't you people lose a Prime Minister once? Sounds like the Canadians have made the first move.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:22 AM   #11
Cackas
Apprentice
2 flights since Sep 2006

Hahaha, as if Canada rules...Australia is so way better mate!! we got the wide open spaces...the kangaroos...what more can you want?
And yeah we did lose a Prime Minister once - Harold Holt his name was. Went missing one day while swimming at his favourite beach. Theres was lots of speculation at the time about how he might have been picked up by a Japanese submarine... Just to get out of the place or something. Dont think theres any truth in it though.
Cackas is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:31 AM   #12
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

What more could i want than wide open spaces and kangaroo's? Snow.....and tempuratures low enough so that my eyeballs do not fry like so many eggs inside my sockets............and mooses' or moose, however you say the plural for a moose.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 06:00 AM   #13
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Meeces? Is that it?

Also, you have to admit, Canada has a smaller percentage of dangerous, poisonous or just plain unfriendly animals. It seems almost as if Australia just doesn't want people there
Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:14 PM   #14
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Australia itself wants to kill you. If the animals, plants or climate doesn't get you, the ocean will.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > First Contact