Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:31 AM   #31
merlin
Sector Marshall
684 flights since Apr 2004
Re: Graphic novels

Got the sequel to 30 days of night for xmas.

Dark Days.

Anyone here read the Walking Dead collections or monthlies?
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:14 PM   #32
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Hey, I just realized that William Blake must be the first graphic novelist: Milton

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Dec 30, 2006 at 08:23 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:01 AM   #33
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Just making my way through "Ronin" by Alan Moore.

Wonderful stuff.
Really is.
Recommended for anyone who likes good Graphic Novels.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:13 AM   #34
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

A-ha! I believe that Ronin is by Frank Miller! Um, unless that Alan Moore wrote a Ronin too...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 01:13 AM   #35
Sleeper
Wing Commander
318 flights since Mar 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Anyone here read the Walking Dead collections or monthlies?

Bought the first trade years ago and still just sitting there on the stack of comics waiting for when I do get around to it.
Sleeper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:53 AM   #36
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
A-ha! I believe that Ronin is by Frank Miller! Um, unless that Alan Moore wrote a Ronin too...
Doh! You are quite right, sir!
Was getting it confused with "V for Vendetta" which I have also just read (actually just before I started Ronin) and "Watchmen" - which Amazon has STILL not sent me after 5 f**king months!!
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 04:20 AM   #37
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I am incredibly out of touch with the graphic novels that are available at the moment.

Anyone got any reccomendations? And yes, I know I haven't finished collecting the Sandman and Preacher ones, but shush
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 05:09 PM   #38
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

CoughRunawaysCough.

Speaking of which, I just got the first Joss Whedon written issue. It's almost a seamless transition. The dialogue is as fantastic as always - ("I dislike semantics" "So does Mel Gibson.") and the characters still feel like they felt before - distinct, flawed and likeable.

It's a little irksome that already, the plot's looking like it's going in a very Whedonesque direction. The story seems to be leaning on Nico, the reluctant leader of the group, and the burden of being responsible for kids no older than she is, which isn't a million miles away from... well. That said, it's only noticeable if you're wary for it. Otherwise, every character gets a shout, which is a relief, because I was slightly afraid the whole family dynamic might shift dramatically to Whedon's tastes. Well, Victor's a little shortchanged, but he's just not as interesting as the others.

What I love about Runaways is it's internal morality. Nothing matters so long as the kids keep each other safe. If that means fighting Wolverine or making nice with Kingpin, then so be it. I like that. Right and wrong is totally subjective to them. And I love how they - sunny West Coasters - see all the rest of the Marvel Universe, good or bad, as a threat.

Definitely the best Marvel title on the go, but be warned - if you aren't willing to faff around with characters in between superfights, it's not for you.

Also got I and II of Buffy -The Long Way Home, AKA Season 8, which is a marvellous surprise, because it's brilliant. The art is superb, capturing the characters rather than just the actors who'd played them. After watching the TV show fade out like it did, it caught me completely off guard that the comic is such a return to old-school form. Like Season 1-3 form. But at the same time, plenty of it is only possible on the page, effects that wouldn't have been afforable or visuals that wouldn't have been acceptable in live action. Whedon's been clever in using the change of form as an opportunity to do something new with a world he felt had nowhere left to go on screen.

And it's good to see the characters again. There's no doubt that they're the ones we used to know. Xander has a role! A real role! And one that wouldn't have worked on screen, neither. Which I can't spoil, but seems to have come from a quote in a Nicholas Brendon interview. Buffy is Buffy again, more than she was in the end of the show. She's smart, funny and humane, and I like the girl again.

While I'm feeling a little queasy about the rumblings of political statement, I like that the disappearrance of Sunnydale hasn't gone unnoticed - that Buffy Summers' world didn't stop turning in our absence. Now she wears a Serenity t-shirt.

Last edited by jill_valentine : Apr 6, 2007 at 05:26 PM.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 04:57 AM   #39
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

How many issues in s8? Can only find 2 released so far, is that correct?

Covers are droolworthy so far, not so much a fan of the interior art though. It's wierd, never read a Buffy comic before, but the dialogue lacks the punch...all the rhythum and stresses are lost.

Cute Fury quip (+ immortal info), yay Buffy not as hateful, damn Dawn - pretty much sums it up. Roll on Faith arc.

Is there any chance we're gonna get to catch up the Angel people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
(No, they're not comics! They're Illustrated Literature!!)
Technically...Sequential Art is the term

Last edited by Seraph : Apr 7, 2007 at 06:41 AM.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 02:46 PM   #40
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Only two that I'm aware of, the next one out in May, I think. Jo Chen! Jo Chen is doing some of the covers! Runaways' very excellent cover artist. Looking forward to Faith. Woo!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:25 PM   #41
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

EeeeeEeeeeEEEeeee! Cover for the next issue of Runaways -

Seriously, Jo Chen's amazing. And Punisher's in terrible danger.

Last edited by jill_valentine : Apr 11, 2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 03:14 AM   #42
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

That certainly looks cool. Are any of these collected into Graphic Novel form at all? Becaue hunting down individual comics has never been my forte (Fell defeated me )
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:23 AM   #43
merlin
Sector Marshall
684 flights since Apr 2004

Speaking of The Punisher. I've been getting some of the recent Punisher MAX graphic novels written by Garth (Preacher) Ennis, and have to say they're brilliant stories.
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 08:13 AM   #44
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
That certainly looks cool. Are any of these collected into Graphic Novel form at all? Becaue hunting down individual comics has never been my forte (Fell defeated me )

There are individual comics, and they're nice and all 'cause you get all the covers. #25 is Joss Whedon's first issue. But the mini-arcs are collected into (quite reasonably priced, eight euros here) little digests, six so far I think, and they're way easier to follow it with. They're smaller than the usual graphic novel, but the art is very clean so it doesn't really matter. The only thing is, there's a big wait between new ones and Whedon's run won't be done for some time yet. The first three books form the first big arc, so they call it the first season. The next two digests just have... well, think of them as standalone episodes, and then the next arc starts.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:48 PM   #45
Cactus_Jack
Pilot
40 flights since Jul 2003

HERES LOOKING AT YOU JILLY!
Cactus_Jack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room