Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:06 AM   #31
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

I just finished Brother Odd another sequel to Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas the second being Forever Odd. This was a nice addition to the story of Odd Thomas, a man who can see the lingering dead. If you haven't already read the first books, I highy recommend them.

I just started the latest Star Trek novel for the 40th anniversary of Trek, Crucible: McCoy "Provenance of Shadows" by David George III

An interesting read so far, going into depth with two stories one, how the death of Edith Keeler affected McCoy, and two, McCoy trapped in the past after saving her life. This book will continue with two other books, one for Spock and one for Kirk.

Last edited by Optimus Prime : Aug 9, 2007 at 02:05 PM.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:27 AM   #32
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003

Zola's Germinal
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:39 PM   #33
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

That McCoy book looks pretty interesting.

Currently reading at work : The Hogfather, by Terry Pratchett. It's a santa parody, of course. 'Tis the season, and all that ...

Will begin reading very shortly : The Prestige, by Christopher Priest. If it's half as good as the film, it'll be an entertaining read
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:57 PM   #34
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Picked up Saturday - should start it tonight:

A couple of reviews I read:
Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Right-wing rhetoric trumps the logic of story and character in this near-future political thriller about a red-state vs. blue-state American civil war, an implausibly plotted departure from Card's bestselling science fiction (Ender's Game, etc.). When the president and vice-president are killed by domestic terrorists (of unknown political identity), a radical leftist army calling itself the Progressive Restoration takes over New York City and declares itself the rightful government of the United States. Other blue states officially recognize the legitimacy of the group, thus starting a second civil war. Card's heroic red-state protagonists, Maj. Reuben "Rube" Malek and Capt. Bartholomew "Cole" Coleman, draw on their Special Ops training to take down the extremist leftists and restore peace to the nation. The action is overshadowed by the novel's polemical message, which Card tops off with an afterword decrying his own politically-motivated exclusion from various conventions and campuses, the "national media elite" and the divisive excesses of both the right and the left.
Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist
Some video-game developers asked Card to write a scenario for "an entertainment franchise . . . about a near-future American civil war." They came to the right man and held off on releasing the game until he completed this relentless thriller, which couldn't be timelier and is, for all its hyperactivity and flip, Hollywoodish one-liners, heartfelt and sobering. Its heroes are two special-ops army officers who keep their oaths to defend the U.S. against all enemies when far too many of their ostensible colleagues have decided to abandon theirs. A rocket hits the west wing of the White House, killing the president, vice-president, and secretary of defense. While those directly responsible are Arabs, the next day, 14-foot-tall, bulletproof, armed globes on mechanical legs, backed by shooters on individual hovercraft, seize New York City by killing anyone in uniform. None of the new attackers looks anything other than American. A "Progressive Restoration" administration is established in the city, and it encourages other cities and states to join it to restore government as it should have been but for the stolen elections of 2000 and 2004. Intriguing plot wrinkles come fore and aft of those basic developments, there are many deftly shaped supporting players, and major shocks explode in a split second (no Stephen King slo-mo for Card!). Moreover, all the action doesn't obscure the author's message about the dangers of extreme political polarization and the need to reassert moderation and mutual citizenship; indeed, it drives it home. Ray Olson
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 02:40 PM   #35
Caleb2k4
Recruit Pilot
13 flights since Jul 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
Alan Dean Foster novelised the Thing as well? Is there no good script this man can't improve?! (By which I mean - yay, I must find this book)

I picked it up at amazon.co.uk second hand for 1.80
Caleb2k4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 02:51 PM   #36
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Thanks Caleb, I'll check it out
Old Jan 28, 2007, 06:50 PM   #37
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

I just started The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I really like it and he makes some good points, but I really do think that he is pretty uninformed with regard to religious beliefs. I can't really speak on that myself, because I am sort of uninformed as well, but I suspect that he will over simplify what purpose religious beliefs serve. I think that it might serve as something more than just as a way to explain the unexplained/unexplainable.

Actually, that Orson Scott Card book that Sith posted looks good, too.

[EDIT]: I take back what I said about his being uninformed. I don't know, anymore. It's a good book, though.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Feb 9, 2007 at 10:52 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:29 AM   #38
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchcoffee
I think that it might serve as something more than just as a way to explain the unexplained/unexplainable.
I don't think Dawkins has an issue per se with religion as a psychological crutch (group therapy through church-going etc) as much as with the tennets of the belief that people hold merely through their lack of rational thought... the God of the Gaps, so to speak. (e.g. I don't know what created the Universe - so let's say God did it.)

The psychological support that religion grants could most likely be achieved through non-religious means, but not as easily nor as comfortably. And for that alone it should be applauded to a degree.

Anyhoo - I'm reading "Golden Fool" by Robin Hobb.
I read the Assassin trilogy a couple of years or so ago and much enjoyed them, and now I'm half-way through this other trilogy.
I think I missed the Liveship trilogy, though, but not to worry.

Last edited by Jove : Feb 12, 2007 at 07:57 AM.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:25 PM   #39
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Finishing Letter to a Christian Nation:

Sam Harris on Book TV.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Feb 9, 2007 at 11:49 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:44 PM   #40
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

I've had a problem: good books won't fit into my favourite bag. That's the most biggest reason why I haven't read Dante Alighieri's Divina Commedia completely before. Thanks for the technology, I can't avoid this classic anymore... Yes, I downloaded it as eBook into my cellphone. Oh joy!

...I've almost forgotten to leave a buss on my stop a couple of times because of this invention...
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:31 AM   #41
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

A Man For All Seasons (1960) ~ Robert Bolt

After rewatching the film a few weeks ago I was inspired to read the book/play by Robert Bolt, and he doesn't disappoint. Although Bolt writes in a very concise style the play was certainly more involving than the screenplay, but by watching the film previously certainly helped flesh out some of the scenes and characters.

The book is truly absorbing and arresting from what I've read so far.
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:02 AM   #42
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester - not a proto-Demolition Man, luckily It's (so far) about a man trying to commit and get away with murder in a telepathically dominated society, and if J. Michael Straczynski hadn't read this before creating the Psi Corps I'll eat my hat.

And, at work, the first book of The Wheel of Time. It doesn't suffer so badly from the stilted-fantasy-dialogue-syndrome that a lot of other fantasy books are plagued by - but then, I've only just started it
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:56 PM   #43
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

The Master & Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

The devil comes to Soviet Moscow with a gun toting tom cat and satrical surrealist mayhem ensues (allegedly).

Keep picking it up and forgetting about it again - hasn't really grabbed me yet (I'm up to the insanse asylum ).
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:36 PM   #44
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

I'd like to read that Richard Dawkins one, were it not for the fact that the man is a knob.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:10 PM   #45
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Command Decision - by Elizabeth Moon
Im cant even finish the book which has me . It is just a testament that writers shouldnt write if they have nothing to say. I feel a sense of personal guilt because I was probably one of the crazy fans who dropped her an email in college telling her to write more. Doubtful it got past her PR personnel, but still. I understand now. Stop when your gut tells you stop. If you dont, what comes out may be far better than garbage, but somehow, it lacks that pizazz or creativity that you once had - that luster for the story; that creativity and ingenuity that consumed you. And suddenly all we are left with is a book filled with words, floating along helplessly in the shallow current of The Story - the one you turned out as cookie cutter as the last.

Because we made you write it. Please stop. We apologize - nay, repent, in sackcloth and ashes.
mack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room