Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old May 16, 2008, 11:53 PM   #16
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: The Hobbit

Actually, del Toro mentioned the differences in tone and story concerning The Hobbit, i.e. more innocent time, etc, in his interview after becoming the director.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 03:43 PM   #17
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Actually, del Toro mentioned the differences in tone and story concerning The Hobbit, i.e. more innocent time, etc, in his interview after becoming the director.

You gotta link to this - would love to read it.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:46 PM   #18
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

By your command...

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008...-hobbit-films/
Old May 21, 2008, 09:07 AM   #19
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Pre-production has started - guess there's no turning back now.

Here's some news:
Quote:
Pre-production is about to get under way on the two "The Hobbit" movies says Variety.

Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are expected to write the scripts under the direction of Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro.

Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum) have already been in contact in regards to starring in the film, the three "Lord of the Rings" characters playing important parts in the story.

Director Guillermo del Toro says "I am all for keeping the actors who originated the parts, as much as availability and their willingness will allow."

del Toro will also produce "Hater", an adaptation of David Moody's 2006 novel for Universal Pictures. Glen Mazzara (FX's "The Shield") will adapt the work for the screen.

Okay - first wee little criticism/concern...Aragorn is not in The Hobbit. I assumed this oft scoffed second film will showcase the grungy king-to-be, but the first film? I smell massive story changes ahead. Also - shouldn't they be contacting Hugo Weaving, the perfect Elrond?

In addition, since they don't seem be in any efforts to contact Ian Holm, one can assume they're casting a younger actor in the role. I was never keen on having Holm play the younger role anyway despite his perfect performance in the the LOTR.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:38 PM   #20
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

Del Toro is just pitch perfect since he's a visionary director.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:51 PM   #21
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

A bit more news....

Quote:
Tolkien estate, New Line settle lawsuit over films

LOS ANGELES – The heirs of J.R.R. Tolkien and a movie studio that produced the blockbuster "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy have settled a lawsuit over the films' profits, it was announced Tuesday.

The out-of-court resolution clears the way for a two-film prequel based on Tolkien's novel "The Hobbit" and will benefit charities around the world, according to a joint press release announcing the settlement.

The lawsuit had sought to rescind New Line Cinema's rights to make films based on the book.

Tolkien's heirs sued New Line Cinema in February 2008, claiming the studio owed it millions in profits from the movies released between 2001 and 2003. The films earned an estimated $6 billion in sales of movie tickets, DVDs and merchandise.

No settlement paperwork has yet been filed with a Los Angeles court. The terms of the deal are being kept confidential.

"We deeply value the contributions of the Tolkien novels to the success of our films and are pleased to have put this litigation behind us," said Alan Horn, president and chief operating officer of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Warner Bros. acquired New Line in March 2008.

One of the main beneficiaries of the settlement is The Tolkien Trust, a British charity that supports causes around the world.

Christopher Tolkien, one of the author's trustees, said the lawsuit was regrettable, but the estate is "glad that this dispute has been settled on satisfactory terms that will allow The Tolkien Trust to properly pursue its charitable objectives."

Bonnie Eskenazi, an attorney who handled the lawsuit for the Tolkien estate, said the settlement vindicated the heirs and will touch more than just movie audiences.

The lawsuit claimed Tolkien's trust received only an upfront payment of $62,500 for the three movies before production began but was due 7.5 percent of the gross receipts.

Peter Jackson, who directed "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer on "The Hobbit" films. The prequels have already endured a legal path as treacherous as the story's trek by hobbit Bilbo Baggins to the Lonely Mountain.

Jackson and New Line feuded for a year over the trilogy's profits before reaching an agreement in 2007 that cleared the way for work on "The Hobbit."

The two prequels will be directed by Guillermo del Toro, who directed the two "Hellboy" movies and "Pan's Labyrinth."
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:33 PM   #22
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Oh for frak's sake...

Quote:
Peter Jackson's 'Hobbit' movies delayed again

The 'Rings' prequels won't hit theaters until 2012 ... or later

Daniel Frankel
TheWrap.com

New Line's efforts to get "The Hobbit" on the big screen have been hobbled again.

Studio officials confirm that the film, which had been slated to premiere in December 2011, won't hit theaters until the end of 2012 at the earliest.

The two-part prequel to New Line's mega-successful "Lord of the Rings" franchise has Peter Jackson signed on to produce and Guillermo del Toro enlisted to direct.

Production had previously been delayed by haggling between author J.R.R. Tolkien's estate and New Line over "Lord of the Rings" profits.

This latest delay, however, has to do over financing for "The Hobbit," which unlike "LOTR," will not be paid for via foreign pre-sales. Rather, for "The Hobbit," New Line shares financing rights with MGM/UA, which purchased its rights back in 1969 and could sell them soon as part of a larger restructuring.

In short, "The Hobbit's" production financing situation probably won't become clear until MGM's situation is sorted out later this year.

Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:35 AM   #23
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Makes you wonder when del Toro is going to bolt. I finally watched Pan's Labyrinth, the man has got a hell of an eye behind the camera and a great, definitive style. He'd be a fool to hang on too long.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:13 PM   #24
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

From BBC News: Page last updated at 09:39 GMT, Thursday, 18 March 2010

Quote:
Hobbit filming to begin in New Zealand in July

Shooting of the long-awaited film version of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit is set to begin in New Zealand in July.

Actor Sir Ian McKellen, who reprises his Lord of the Rings role as Gandalf the Grey, revealed casting is taking place in LA, London and New York.

Mexican-born film-maker Guillermo del Toro will direct the film and its proposed sequel.

The films will be prequels to the Lord of the Rings trilogy directed by Oscar winner Peter Jackson.

Jackson - together with his wife Fran Walsh - will produce the films, to be made back-to-back in New Zealand.

Writing on his official website, Sir Ian reports that shooting of the two films is expected to take more than a year, with Del Toro "now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons' and the studio in Miramar".

McKellen added that the script was still being worked on, saying "the first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle-earth".

Del Toro, best known for the Hellboy movies, has called the directing role "an absolute dream come true".

His acclaimed Spanish-language fantasy Pan's Labyrinth won three Oscars and three Baftas in 2007.

According to studio New Line, the first film will be an adaptation of The Hobbit, the novel Tolkien published before his Lord of the Rings cycle.

The second will be an original story focusing on the 60 years between the book and the beginning of the Rings trilogy.

Old May 11, 2010, 01:59 PM   #25
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

I had seen the rumor and had forgotten to post it, but here's an update. And when did Warner Bros get it's hands on The Hobbit?

Quote:
'Hobbit' Still on Track for 2012

Warner Bros. says an error in its press release led fans to think the prequel has been pushed back again

By Brent Lang
TheWrap.com

Simmer down, Tolkien fans, a return to Middle Earth hasn't been pushed back again.

A press release Wednesday from IMAX announcing the upcoming slate of Warner Bros. films that will be hitting its screens over the next three years mistakenly pegged "The Hobbit's" release date as December 2013.

The news of another delay sent shockwaves through the fanboy community.

That's a typo, a spokesperson for Warner Bros. confirmed to TheWrap. The first part of "The Hobbit" is still slated for a December 2012 release. The second installment will presumably be released the following year.

The Guillermo del Toro-directed prequel to "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy may yet be pushed back if co-producer MGM remains up for sale much longer. The debt-strapped company is still looking for a buyer, causing production on such big-ticket properties as "The Hobbit" and the next James Bond film to idle.

The fantasy film hasn't been greenlit yet and likely won't be until new ownership arrives.

Among the 20 movies that will be coming to IMAX over the next three years are "Batman 3," "Superman," "Dark Shadows," and the final two parts of the "Harry Potter" franchise.

Old May 12, 2010, 04:32 PM   #26
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

I hear Ridley Scott and Tony Scott want to buy MGM so that should be well put to have Hobbit back.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 02:11 AM   #27
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

I think I'm ready to go postal on somebody LOL

Quote:
'Hobbit' Still on Hold

Studio woes keep return to Middle Earth on ice

By Don Kaye
Special to MSN Movies

There has been all kinds of speculation about when exactly "The Hobbit," the two-part film version of J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel to "The Lord of the Rings," will actually begin filming.

Just this week, there were reports that production would begin this November in New Zealand, where producers Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh (the brain trust behind the original "Rings" movies) are overseeing director Guillermo del Toro on the project.

But del Toro has now debunked those rumors. In a conference call with reporters on Thursday evening to promote "Splice," which he has produced, del Toro said bluntly that "The Hobbit" has been hamstrung by the financial woes of the studio that partially owns the rights, MGM.

"There cannot be any start date until the MGM situation gets resolved," del Toro said. "It's impossible to take a unilateral decision to give the green light to proceed. We really believe that the date will be known after the fact of MGM's fate, whether they stay or get supported or they get bought or they transfer some of the rights."

MGM has incurred massive debt ($3.7 billion) and is looking for a buyer to essentially bail it out. While the studio has gotten an extension on its debt payments from creditors, it has put all future productions on hold, including "The Hobbit" and the next James Bond film.

Admitting that the project has been "caught in a very tangled negotiation," del Toro also sounded slightly frustrated while explaining that everything is ready to move forward on the production end.

"I've been on the project for nearly two years," he said. "We have designed all the creatures, we have designed the sets, the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned very lengthy action sequences and scary sequences and funny sequences. We are very, very prepared for when it finally is triggered, but we don't know anything until MGM is sold."

As for another big rumor, that "The Hobbit" will be shot in 3-D when cameras eventually roll, del Toro cooled those down as well: "3-D has been discussed literally once in the room," he said. "The budget and the schedule, the cost of the film, the number of days it would take to shoot -- we are handling all of that right now without looking towards 3-D. So is there a chance it will become 3-D in the future? Maybe. Right now, it's not being planned as such."

UPDATED: MAY 30th!! Well, looks like no Hobbit in the near future now.
Quote:
Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”
May 30th, 2010 by xoanon | Discuss
Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says Guillermo. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director”.

Last edited by Optimus Prime : May 30, 2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:29 PM   #28
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I think I'm ready to go postal on somebody LOL

UPDATED: MAY 30th!! Well, looks like no Hobbit in the near future now.

Good grief - you simply don't get more of a sure thing then these movies. These were money in the bank for struggling MGM and they're effectively killing the project with the same effed up mismanagment that's done their company in.

As long as Peter Jackson is attached and hold the desire to see these films made there is hope that not will they see the light of day but the end product will be top notch. At this point I don't see how Peter Jackson can't take these movies over.

Of course there are at least three other individuals whose schedules are also finite - Andy Serkis, Hugo Weaving, and most importantly the all but irreplaceable Ian McKellan who has been quite vocal of late concerning his dissatisfaction with the way things are being handled.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:24 PM   #29
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Seriously. What a disappointment and pretty short sighted for MGM.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:33 AM   #30
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Official today: Peter Jackson is indeed going to direct both Hobbit movies.

Excellent, excellent news! Rumors are also swirling that the entire reason MGM has been stalling this project was a veiled attempt to get Jackson to direct and now that he's agreed, they should give the full green lights sometime over the next couple of weeks with Shire filming set to begin in the Autumn, or Spring if you're in New Zealand - around October or November.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies