Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:25 PM   #16
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Being Human.

aw man. havent seen the latest, but i can say that I was sorely hoping they didnt make this a "vampire" show. because that's exactly what happens when you lopside a show with more vampires than anything else supernatural, and you place their little social heirarchical issues on a pedestal that every other supernatural force bows down to.

Ugh. What a shame. Its the one failing of True Blood, though I think the books by Charlaine Harris did a great job of letting the other supernatural forces (lycans, witches) stand on their own as separate and distinct. i would probably seriously take a pass on this show if they stop developing George and Anna. Frankly, i was somewhat insulted with the simplistic way they dispatched George's vulgar mentor and creator, though i think they did show how horrifyingly lonely he was. I kinda felt for the guy, and hoped that George could forgive him. They have so much storyline potential there - i mean, for starters they could play the whole inner-beast-tamed-by-civilization-and-structure angle.

isnt that all the "out" vamps are anyway? isnt the whole point with mitchell and the True Blood vamps that if they didnt have to hide, and if they were acknowledged and allowed to live "alongside" in society - the need for murder, brutality and hiding would cease (or at least lessen)?

i hope they dont lose their way....
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:36 PM   #17
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

The episode was pretty Mitchell heavy, but was, to be fair, pretty damn good and nothing to do with the conspiracy thing.

It's just the constant hints of impending vampire doom that's bothering me, 'cause like you, I don't want another show about the tedious detail of vampire society. I also think it's really bloody contrived, how much they want Mitchell back.

Although I do like Cop Vampire.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 03:50 AM   #18
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Eh, they needed a story arc.

Re True Blood, it's too early to compare it to the books in terms of "other" supernaturals. She just found out there are other things than vampires (i.e. shapeshifters).
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:11 PM   #19
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Okay. With every episode, Mitchell's bits get more tedious, and Annie and George's bits get more awesome.

I laughed my stupid arse off at Annie's haunting. Fantastic stuff.

"Can you like... move things around? Go from room to room?"

"Uh... yes, I think most people can".

EDIT:

And might I add that George and Annie's rescue attempt is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. ("We're like the world's gayest ninjas.")

Last edited by jill_valentine : Feb 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:54 PM   #20
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Absolute humdinger of a conclusion, I must say. Very little humour but plenty of drama, and the ending was inspired.

I was well impressed with this show. I'm not a fan of Doctor Who and Torchwood is, I'll freely admit, absolutely appalling, so I really wasn't expecting much. I think that's why I kept expecting it to fail in spectacular fashion, but it didn't. Cracking show, beginning to end, and I cannot wait for the second series.

I just hope it doesn't suck.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:51 PM   #21
mack
misanthrope

its over already? what have i missed? ive only seen up to ep3!! goooooolly! we have to start classifying this as a miniseries.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:57 PM   #22
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Six episode mini-run, plus the pilot with the alternate casting. A second eight-part series is confirmed, and it better be awesome enough to keep up with series one's fantastic conclusion, or else.

I take back all I said about the Vampire storyline, they handled it well.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:40 PM   #23
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Second series is nearing it's conclusion now. Started off weakly; way too much vampire stuff, but it's worked it's way back up to season one's standard. A lot less humour this time around, and the Big Bad is a hackneyed old cliché that was already tired when Buffy did it a few years ago, but the last episode was a beast and it's working itself up to a nice pace. Some really moving bits and pieces involving Annie and her bereaved parents, and a nice and unexpected take on the long term pitfalls of George's condition.

EDIT: Soundtrack also very heavy on Florence & The Machine, which I approve of.

Last edited by jill_valentine : Feb 20, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 04:41 PM   #24
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Haven't caught a single episode of s2 needs to catch up on iplayer. Sucks if they toned down the humour.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 04:53 PM   #25
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

They haven't jettisoned the humour completely, it's just that they haven't integrated it into the serious stuff as much. George and Annie's rescue attempt last year had me in stitches for instance, as noted, where as this time the humour has been largely very contained in the flat.

For the first half of the season, it felt like they couldn't figure out what to do with Annie, either. Seemed to be a similar problem with George, but that turned out to be part of a character arc thingy, so that's okay. Anyhoo. If you do go back to catch up, don't let the first few episodes put you off.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:09 PM   #26
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Whoa. Okay, gone pretty dark. Pretty very dark and I don't think the character can come back from how dark that was. Dark.

EDIT: And at times poorly acted.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:38 AM   #27
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Oh yeah, out of interest, the last episode of this was really terrible and that made me sad. A shame and a waste.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:17 AM   #28
mack
misanthrope

So.....what do we think of the American remake?

I confess, I cant bring myself to watch it....yet. That guy they have playing the vampire is godawfully ugly compared to his UK predecessor, and the same can be said of the Indian(?) girl that replaced Annie - she makes Annie look like a runway model. Only the werewolf guy is an upgrade, and I havent even watched the show to make comparisons of the plot. Somehow though, Im sure its more whitewashed and happy. Meh.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum