Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]

From "12 Monkeys" to "Explorers"...

Old Jun 15, 2002, 01:10 PM   #1
Quetzalcoatl
Pilot
31 flights since Jun 2002
Lightbulb 1984

Seems odd this film ain't been discussed before. Isn't there anyone else out there who liked this flick enough to talk about it?

Here is a tidbit for anyone interested: As well as being Richard Burton's last film, he was, before his untimely death, going to do the rounds promoting it. He had done that for no film he appeared in for many years before that…
Quetzalcoatl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2002, 03:02 PM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: 1984

I've read it and i really want to see the film. the remake from the year 1984 that is...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2002, 01:18 AM   #3
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Made in the year I was born, must be good enough to have it's own forum.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2002, 04:53 AM   #4
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

I haven't read it but I would like to see it (especially because Bowie had once plans to make a musical about the the book) but I have a problem: would Brazil ever feel the same after that?
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2002, 10:30 AM   #5
Quetzalcoatl
Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by ThinWLady
I haven't read it but I would like to see it (especially because Bowie had once plans to make a musical about the the book) but I have a problem: would Brazil ever feel the same after that?

It is a very different film - very different in the societal warnings.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 04:17 PM   #6
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Yes Brazil is a deeper more involved and dare I say it infinatly better film. 1984 is great though. Just shows my reverence for Brazil.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2002, 12:59 AM   #7
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

Hmmm. Well, if you say so... I'm gonna see if I could rent it.
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 09:15 PM   #8
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Here is a tidbit for anyone interested: As well as being Richard Burton's last film, he was, before his untimely death, going to do the rounds promoting it. He had done that for no film he appeared in for many years before that…

ye know they actually shot some of the scenes on the days when the book is based. like when smith starts writing the diary was april 16 (i think).
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 10:06 PM   #9
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

I thought the book was extremely depressing.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 10:44 PM   #10
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Now you sound just like my mother, cab . She sees me reading Crime and Punnishment the other evening and says "Dostoyevsky is a depressing bore, why are you reading that?" I replied that it is reputed to be a great novel, she conceded the point but still said that he is a depressing bore... Oh well, differant strokes for differant folks I guess.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 06:13 PM   #11
NinjaMonkey
Wing Commander
233 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
Now you sound just like my mother, cab . She sees me reading Crime and Punnishment the other evening and says "Dostoyevsky is a depressing bore, why are you reading that?" I replied that it is reputed to be a great novel, she conceded the point but still said that he is a depressing bore... Oh well, differant strokes for differant folks I guess.

Depressing bore? Crime and Punishment is now one of my favorite novels.

1984:
I've read the book and saw the 1984 version, but not the first movie. The 1984 remake seems to be pretty close to how I envision the book, but drags at times. Richard Burton in particular came off like he was reading his lines, rather than seeming to comprehend what he was saying and making his scenes come alive.
NinjaMonkey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 06:36 AM   #12
Quetzalcoatl
Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaMonkey

Depressing bore? Crime and Punishment is now one of my favorite novels.

1984:
I've read the book and saw the 1984 version, but not the first movie. The 1984 remake seems to be pretty close to how I envision the book, but drags at times. Richard Burton in particular came off like he was reading his lines, rather than seeming to comprehend what he was saying and making his scenes come alive.

I agree about Crime and Punishment, but not Burton. He was far to intelligent, and believed in the film too much to have played it the way you propose. I believe he played the character that way deliberately - he is after all meant to be right at the heart of the corrupt regime ruling this society, and so an air of dissipation of casualness towards the brutality he meets out seems appropriate to me.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 06:56 PM   #13
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

I perfer Alexander Dumas' novel "The Three Musketters " to "1984'. Actually, I would perfer Aldus Huxley's "A Brave New World" over "1984' also.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 07:21 PM   #14
NinjaMonkey
Wing Commander
233 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by cabalcomb
I perfer Alexander Dumas' novel "The Three Musketters " to "1984'. Actually, I would perfer Aldus Huxley's "A Brave New World" over "1984' also.

Me too. "Brave New World" was excellent. I also think it's more of a possibility than 1984.
NinjaMonkey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 08:02 PM   #15
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally posted by cabalcomb
1984 is far suppirior to BNW in style, but BNW is far more far-reaching in its substance. And BNW is not only 'more of a possibility', but in today's western socioty it is more of a reality. Huxly was not writing about the future, but his present, and our world reflects his grotesque vision even more then his did.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]