Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005
Can anyone compare Dune to Avatar and The Matrix?

I mean both The Matrix and Avatar share themes to the novel by Frank Herbert. I guess the Wachowskis and James Cameron are fans of the novel.

Both Avatar and Matrix have messiahs told in a prophecy to save the worlds with Jake and Neo being like Paul, fall in love with a strange girl (Neytiri and Trinity) being like Chani, the mother of Neytiri and Oracle being the same as the Reverend-Mother, both have substances such as the energy of the Matrix and the Unorbitorium like the spice, both have greedy evil people like Agent Smith and the president of the Unorbitorium company being like Baron Harkkoen, Morpheus being like Gurney, Avatar and Dune have taming of beasts while The Matrix doesn't, and all that.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: Can anyone compare Dune to Avatar and The Matrix?

If Avatar is like anything, it's like Dance With Wolves, not Dune.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:13 PM   #3
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

And if your gonna compare Avatar to Dances with Wolves, would you compare The Matrix to Ghost in The Shell? they are pratically the same damn movie you know. Ghost in The Shell came out in 95 here in the states and Japan, the Wachowski Brothers were inspired by that for The Matrix, did you know that? face it, The Matrix wasn't too original either.

Kusanagi is more sexier than Trinity as she could whoop her ass and who would win between Bataou and Neo?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

I don't understand why you're choosing to take such an aggressive, know-it-all tone - e.g., "the same damn movie", "did you know that?", "face it..." - when Optimus was simply making a statement that makes more sense then your comparison of Avatar to The Matrix.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Stallion
Recruit Pilot
5 flights since Apr 2003

I've never watched Dune, is 'taming of the beasts' similar to Neo beating up Agent Smith & then depowering the Sentinals?
Stallion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:50 PM   #6
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Yes but please avoid David Lynch's 1984 piece of garbage at all costs, stick to the book and you'll be happy.

Avatar is NOTHING like Dances with Wolves, i tell you NOTHING. Cameron had the idea for the film since 1985 and wrote it in 1993 but had to wait until 2006 to film the script.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003

I ain't seen none a these fancy three dee movies, and I certainly ain't seen have-a-tar, but I tell you what, I'd poke a hont ass any ole day a the week, yes sir.
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:11 AM   #8
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

And if yo're going to compare Dune to anything, try Laurence of Arabia.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,103 flights since Jun 2004

Avatar is a rip off of a Pocahontas fairy tale. Replace native americans with blue cat things, and replace the white europeans with mostly white humans. How does it in any way resemble the Matrix? Your system for comparing Avatar and The Matrix could be used to compare every single movie ever made. You could compare Gone With the Wind to The Departed if you felt like taking the time to do so.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:13 AM   #10
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Hm. Well. I think you could probably find similarities between Dune and The Matrix, but as has been stated, not necessarily Avatar. I can see loose comparisons with Dune/Matrix, but I dont get the Avatar comparison.

In Dune, Paul was a nobody with a destiny to "save the world" (or the spice trade, thus the Empire, anyway.) The Bene-Gesserit witches bred for a savior, but Paul was not the savior they intended or sought - he was born out of time. Similarly, in the Matrix, Neo was a nobody with a destiny. There was certainly a shadowy group of people that believed in some kind of prophecy of a savior of humankind, and one could even theorize that Neo was "born out of time" to his destiny.

That's about where the similarities end, DarthJohn. Honestly. And under that line of thinking, how is that any different than the Messiah of the Holy Bible?

Surely you get that the Messianic plotline is well-tread by now?
mack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum