Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Mighty panorama of Earth-shaking fury as an army from Mars invades! | original guide

Old Jun 3, 2005, 01:08 PM   #1
bjameson
Apprentice
2 flights since Jun 2005
why Tom Cruise?

im really looking forward to this remake, I haven’t seen the original in quite some time. But why did they have to cast Tom Cruise?!? It would be ok if he can keep is nutty scientology to himself. He already managed to push his personal agenda on the set and I only hope he doesn’t do the same in the film.
bjameson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: why Tom Cruise?

What are you talking about? I doubt Spielberg let Cruise do anything he didn't approve of himself. And care to elaborate on what you are refering to concerning Cruise pushing his personal agenda?
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:40 PM   #3
bjameson
Apprentice
2 flights since Jun 2005

this is what I mean by personal agenda

taken from NY Times 6/2/05

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/02/mo...rint&position=

"Mr. Cruise's insistence on making his religion a prominent part of his current work has raised some resistance in Hollywood. Some executives from the United International Pictures, which is releasing "War of the Worlds" overseas, complained earlier about being asked to take a four-hour tour of Scientology facilities in Los Angeles in late January.

And Mr. Cruise's insistence on having a Scientology tent on the set of "War of the Worlds" created a conflict at Universal, where the movie was being shot, two executives involved said. The executives, who asked not to be identified to protect industry relationships, said that Mr. Cruise, his agent Kevin Huvane and Mr. Spielberg all had to appeal personally to the president of Universal Studios, Ron Meyer, for the tent to be permitted on the studio lot, where no solicitation is allowed.

The studio required that the tent not be used for recruitment purposes, they said. A studio spokesman declined to comment."

anyone that wants to interview Cruise will be asked to take a 4 hour tour of a scientology center. That shouldn’t even be asked.
bjameson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Oh goody, he's turning into a fruitcake, like Shirley MacLaine.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 09:36 PM   #5
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

It almost sounds like he is competing with Mel Gibson.... The PR, negative and positive, alone vaulted the Passion movie into the netherworld (financially).

Tom is nutty, though, from what Ive heard, and this one tops a lot of stuff. Surely he cant be making people sit through sermons just to interview him? Tell me its a nasty rumor....
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by bjameson
But why did they have to cast Tom Cruise?!?

$
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:35 PM   #7
jdkane
Apprentice
3 flights since Jul 2005

It's foolish to assume that Tom Cruise could choose to promote scientology in a movie. I think they might just kind of catch that thing before it reaches the theatres.
I don't agree withe scientology either, however I like the fact that someone is not afraid to speak out about what he believes in. Because I don't agree doesn't make Tom a fruitcake. He could say the same about me. It's a two-way street.
jdkane is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 06:33 PM   #8
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

I liked Cruise on Collateral, Minority Report, MI:1 and perhaps Risky Business but I detested him in the film. Can't quite put my finger on why but I just had no empathy for this guy at all.

Of course it's also worth noting that he got paid well over $40m to appear in the film + profit percentage.

In fact here's a list of some his movie "pay cheques" over the years.

Its not surprising that he's been voted the world's most powerful celeb again

War of the Worlds (2005) (20% profit participation)
The Last Samurai (2003) $25,000,000 + % of profits
Minority Report (2002) $25,000,000+
Vanilla Sky (2001) $20,000,000 + 30% of Profits
Mission: Impossible II (2000) $75,000,000 (gross participation)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999) $20,000,000
Jerry Maguire (1996) $20,000,000 against 15%
Mission: Impossible (1996) $70,000,000 (gross participation)
Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994) $15,000,000
Far and Away (1992) $13,000,000
Rain Man (1988) $3,000,000+% of gross
Top Gun (1986) $2,000,000
Risky Business (1983) $75,000
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 01:45 PM   #9
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny
I liked Cruise . . . but I just had no empathy for this guy at all.

That's because he plays a really good jerk. Seriously. He is typecast as a selfish, good-looking rake. People love to hate him, and he's taking that negative fame and laughing all the way to the bank.

Strangely enough, from a personal perspective, I dont even mind the guy. Sure, he's super-serious about his religion, but not more than Mel Gibson, or other celebs with agendas (evironmental, homosexuality, humanitarian, etc.) I mean, why do we care? Angelina Jolie is a U.S. ambassador, had her child in Africa with Brad, went to Haiti with Brad and Wyclef in order to raise global recognition of the poverty that exists there.

A lot of public figures use their fame to push personal agendas. Its no different than the Dixie Chicks blasting Shrub for the war in their music, or all the "peace-loving" music icons getting together to sing in "peace" tours, or some tree-hugging hippie actor playing in an environmental movie, or a gun-toting, hunt-loving celebrity making public comments about supporting the NRA, and playing in violent and gun crazy movies.

The list could go on, but I have a wedding to go to, so I'll stop.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

Well, honestly, no matter how much of a ****ing lunatic he has, is, or will become, the man is a good actor. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and felt he did a great job. So lunacy aside, he still does good movies, and i won't hate him completely till the lunacy does overrun into the films. On that day, he gets a place on my altar of loathing, right in between Hitler and Avril Lavigne.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:26 PM   #11
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

Quote:
Originally posted by Demosthemighty
Well, honestly, no matter how much of a ****ing lunatic he has, is, or will become, the man is a good actor. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and felt he did a great job. So lunacy aside, he still does good movies, and i won't hate him completely till the lunacy does overrun into the films. On that day, he gets a place on my altar of loathing, right in between Hitler and Avril Lavigne.

much as I love your rants and stuff, I just can't take any of it seriously with a fluffy teddy wearing a big "I love you" heart, sitting on a pink heart-shaped cushion staring straight back at me.

Go figure, oh lord & protector of the univese
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

I like my sig. it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.....unlike the rest of the world...which makes me feel cold and dead and dried up inside.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]