Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Soylent Green (1973)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Soylent Green (1973)

People will do anything to get what they need. And they need SOYLENT GREEN. | guide

Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:57 PM   #16
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Why Sol Kills Himself

He leaves the note about "going home" and checks into the suicide center because he wants Thorn to prove that "soylent green is people". He knows that Thorn, being a detective, will go to the suicide center to find Sol and will then follow the disposal trucks to the processing plant and discover the grisly truth. So, Sol is sacrificing himself so that the truth will be known.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 05:37 AM   #17
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Angry WELL...

...if the Earth is dying, move to Mars!
Old Jul 7, 2002, 08:38 PM   #18
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: A thought provoking film

http://www.observer.co.uk/internatio...750783,00.html

A study by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), to be released on Tuesday, warns that the human race is plundering the planet at a pace that outstrips its capacity to support life.

In a damning condemnation of Western society's high consumption levels, it adds that the extra planets (the equivalent size of Earth) will be required by the year 2050 as existing resources are exhausted.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:47 PM   #19
the 2
Starfighter
74 flights since Nov 2001

that sux
the 2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 09:12 AM   #20
Nathan1902
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Jul 2003

I agree that this a fine SF movie. Growing up in the 60's-70's we were indeed concerned with pollution, gridlock, overpopulation. In fact I remember reading a SF short story (before the film) about a similar overcrowded society where space was so valuable people were renting out "steps" on stairs in apartment buildings. And in the movie they do have people sleeping on steps, fire escapes, everywhere.

Another perhsp even deeper point to the movie regards mankind's ability to adapt. Thorn represents the average citizen of "today", he understands that society isn't great but that's all he's ever known. SOL represents the older generation that knew a different life before society changed. The interplay between the two seems to represent the universal tension between youth and age.
Still SOL dosen't represnt the past as "the good ol days" entirely. At one point when Thorn mocks SOl's complaning by stating that everythinga nd everyone was better in Sol's world, Sol replies
" No people were always lousy!"
Nathan1902 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 11:16 AM   #21
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Thumbs up Prediction of ecological nightmare

Soylent Green had a lot in the movie to make us think about. What would happen if over population overtaxed our natural resources and poisoned the Earth?

Human life would have to become less precious as it becomes a daily struggle just to get enough food and water. After the land and ocean were stripped, what would we do for food? The film leaves us realizing that there is going to have to be mass starvation now that the food supplies have run out. Mankind will lose billions until we are back in balance with what nature can provide, and the amount of pollution it can accept.

We've got 5 or 6 billion people on this earth. Eventually if we keep growing, we will overtax the Earth.

This movie also had some neat things, foremost was the very first arcade video game called Computer Space. I remember the first time I ever saw that game, I immediately blew 5 bucks playing it. What a rush!
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:42 PM   #22
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Indeed. The movie gives you alot to think about and puts it forward alot better than other movies at the time like ZPG (Zero Population Growth.) And still relavent even today. Or especially today long after the problems have been glossed over, subdued and hush-hushed.

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:45 PM   #23
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn
this is one screwed up vision of the future

but what I don't get is...

Why does the old man, on discovering the dirty truth about Soylent Green then go and top himself, knowing he will be made into it and eaten himself....

So Charleton Heston can see the proof! Sol was performing perhaps the last act of true selflessness in the history of humanity; he was laying down his life for his friends.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 03:35 PM   #24
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

So Charleton Heston can see the proof! Sol was performing perhaps the last act of true selflessness in the history of humanity; he was laying down his life for his friends.

Hmmmm i don't think that way. I think that the truth was too horrible for him and that's the reason why he wanted to die in the best way he could. In the Suicide center.

The thing that i didn't get is why the old man only tells Heston the truth when he was going to die. Why didn't he left a note telling him that intead of the "going home" note? Maybe it was the extasis of his state.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 02:46 AM   #25
Unregistered
n/a flights since

move to mars?

the way the society in the movie has become, looks like sort of a perpetual dark-age..

how can there be advances in technology with no resources?

leaps of technology have always come with a great -surplus- of resources that allow a society to concern themselves with things other than surviving.

with an almost non-existant economy, apparently no schools, and what looks like a huge slump in technological development; space travel would be WAY out of the question...

it really is a dismal outlook, everyone just stuck there in the cesspool they created, eating each other.

damn.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 04:30 AM   #26
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
move to mars?

the way the society in the movie has become, looks like sort of a perpetual dark-age..

how can there be advances in technology with no resources?

leaps of technology have always come with a great -surplus- of resources that allow a society to concern themselves with things other than surviving.

with an almost non-existant economy, apparently no schools, and what looks like a huge slump in technological development; space travel would be WAY out of the question...

it really is a dismal outlook, everyone just stuck there in the cesspool they created, eating each other.

damn.

Technology development is posible if resources are available to the educated and rich elite.

I think this was the case in Soylent Green.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 05:27 PM   #27
Unregistered
n/a flights since

I have only seen SG once in my life, and yet I count it as one of my absolute favorite movies. I saw it when I was a sophomore in high school (I'm a senior in college now). It disturbed me to my very core. I had never been so scared in my life, especially while watching a movie. It was so frightening that I never watched it again. As if that weren't enough, it turned my life on its head. I questioned God; I became a freaking atheist. I'm only just recovering now, lol, and I'm considering watching it again.

Maria

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Soylent Green (1973)