Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Dec 27, 2004, 03:06 PM   #1
Gugliemo
Wing Commander
246 flights since Mar 2002
crap CGI

Having just read the '2005 sci fi' thread and the worry about the graphics of the upcoming Transformers film, i was just wondering, what are the most dissapointing graphics you've seen in a film recently?

People always complain about CGI, but to me it seems pretty amazing these days with increasingly few let downs. The war between the graphics a movie can produce has lead to some spectacular scenes and allowed films to go places they wouldn't have been able to go before. But that's just my opinion, so let the cgi-bashing commence!
Gugliemo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 03:19 PM   #2
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Re: crap CGI

Weirdly enough, the most horrible use of CGI I've ever seen was in Blade 2. It didn't actually feature as much as most SF's but the whole fun of the first Blade was how near-believable but intense the fight scenes were. And then some awful cartoons in the sequel. WTF?

Um... Matrix Revolutions had some extremely dodgy FX, again during the big fight at the end. Just no sense of impact whatsoever.

But, yeah, largely, CGI has improved an awful lot lately. For truly, unforgiveably horrible CGI, you really have to look at TV nowadays...
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 03:34 PM   #3
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

The worst have to be the orangotan-like "werewolves" of "An American Werewolf in Paris".

"Van Helsing" looks pretty crappy as well. They did a good job on textures, but when it came to lighting, yowza. It's almost as if they're advertising where the CGI is on purpose. They got it absolutelly wrong.

"Blade 2" has a dreadfull fight sequence which has SFX that are so painfull to look at that in the director's commentary he keeps saying "Look at this... this is terrible. Honestly, what the **** is this ****?".
I'm not kidding, check it out yourselves.

The Scorpion King in "The Mummy Returns" looks like a very bad Playstation render from some end-level boss.

"Pearl Harbor" for the sheer stupidity and 0 research that went into the historical accuracy of their CGI subjects that led to such jewels as nuclear carriers in WWII, jet-propelled P-40's and bombs that fall vertically when dropped from an horizontal platform.

"Armageddon" for shuttles that suddenly transform into completelly different-looking spacecraft and the worst rendition of an asteroid in movie history.

The "Star Wars" special editions, for Jabba and Han's "clicky" head-dodge. Can you get any worse CGI than this? Also, the new prequels are so blatantly arrogant that they deserve a spot here.

"Alien Ressurection" has the worst creatures this side of a low-budget Buffy episode.

"The Haunting" remake not only sucked as a movie, but also missed the whole point of the original by placing costly and incredibly bad SFX where the original movie relied on tension.

"Dreamcatcher". You watched the movie right? Do I really need to tell you how crappy the SFX is?
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

Dreamcatcher was allround crappy, SFX aside.

And they ripped off Clive! But that's another story...

Aside from the movies allrady listed, I can't think of anymore SFs that have recently came out that were terribly crappy. I don't count old Sci/Fi movies, as they're to easy.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 05:15 PM   #5
Dajistano
326 flights since Jun 2002
Post Re: crap CGI

Iwata just named everything (and then some) I was thinking.
Dajistano is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:23 PM   #6
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata

"Alien Ressurection" has the worst creatures this side of a low-budget Buffy episode.

*Twitch*

Well, he's sort of right. Every episode of Buffy was low budget. I think I read somewhere that it costs more to make an episode of the OC than it did to make a BTVS episode. Particularly when it was on the WB, who were so stingy they were reluctant to fork out for decent film at the start, hence the distinctive grainy look of the first two seasons (16mm) compared to season three onwards (35mm). Beside the point.

If you want to see some truly, blindingly bad SFX, the final episode of Buffy, ("Chosen"), has it all. Jaw droppingly crap LOTR rip off multitudes of vamporcs attack cartoon Buffy, who has a conversation with a badly bluescreened evil twin. Standing on a styrofoam rock precipice that occasionally shakes. Then when Sunnydale starts caving into the desert ( neglecting the fact that two seasons ago, Sunnydale was a coastal town with a forested mountain) Toon-Buffy gets even worse, Indiana Jonesing it across buildings that appear in the wrong order.

It's bloody bad enough that they turned Faith into Eliza Dushku, turned Willow into a plot device, and turned a murderous attempted rapist into a romantic hero, but then they went and blew their entire SFX budget on a Very Bad Idea. At the very least, there is one terrific shot, when a character burns alive, one dermal layer at a time. I'm possibly biased, because I hated that character. But usually, when I watch that episode, I just close my eyes, and imagine better effects.

Sorry.

Anyway. Films.

Probably goes without saying, but Anaconda had some woeful effects, and the otherwise highly enjoyable Deep Rising did too. And yes, the Scorpion King in the Mummy was horrible... X Men, while it made excellent use of CGI overall, made a serious mess of Senator Kelly, and the end of X2 was just stupid looking.

And I'd forgotten the Worst Film I've Ever Seen (tm) , Underworld. Ugh.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:48 PM   #7
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003

But jill Underworld didn't use much cgi. Most of it was all pupets and men in suits.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:53 PM   #8
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

The fights were occasionally dodgy, and the wolves were inconsistent. For the most part, in fairness, they had an impressive sense of impact, but when they ran on all fours, it looked to me like their feet weren't always hitting the ground.

But really my assessment of the bad FX in Underworld stems from one scene.

Sword. Slice. Slide. Worst thing ever. And admittedly, that would have been a stupid scene even if they had perfect CGI.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:01 PM   #9
broken tusk
Wing Commander

Ya that scene is really bad. Also I never liked the look of the werewolves in that movie. They looked to much like werehyenas.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:10 PM   #10
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I remember liking the actual look of the werewolves, just not the way they moved... for the definitive bad werewolf though, it still has to be American Werewolf in Paris. Specifically the scene where teensy, tiny Julie Delpy turns into a MASSIVE **** OFF BEAR APE!!!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:17 PM   #11
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
MASSIVE **** OFF BEAR APE!!!

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I enjoyed Underworld (even though that final scene is ridicullous), but I must tell you, the SFX in that movie was some of the best in the latest years.

Why do I say this? Because what I thought was CGI was in fact guys in (very well made) suits, and as for the actual CGI... it's use was so subtle I didn't even know it was there until I saw the making-of (even the trasformation scenes were mere trick-photography).

And like someone said, the best critic a CGI artist can receive is when someone says "That was CGI? I hadn't noticed!".

Underworld and Dog Soldiers, and on the other level the Wolfmen (yes, "men", as in "more than one") in "Van Helsing", were, to me, the definitive evidence that until CGI is perfected, NOTHING can replace guys in suits.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:28 PM   #12
broken tusk
Wing Commander

Yeah I agree. I think the actors just act better with something thats there when the movie is filmed. As opposed to to them just faking it. Plus I think the suit just look better cuz it looks real.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 05:25 PM   #13
Azrael
Wing Commander
442 flights since Jul 2003

All i can think right now is ....Titan A.E
Azrael is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:53 AM   #14
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Eh? That's not CGI - it's a spacestation... er... I mean animation. So that doesn't really count.
Besides, the computer generated animation in Titan A.E. was great, and gave the animation a great feel beyond an otherwise standard-looking Disney-esque piece.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:24 PM   #15
Azrael
Wing Commander
442 flights since Jul 2003

Ah ok then!

Evolution...?
Azrael is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum