Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Apr 22, 2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002
Silent hill: The movie

Many many many many, Heck a whole plethora (I just love using that word... it's all Iwata's fault if you need someone to blame for it) load of you should know I love the game silent hill, if not, then buck up lad, Darth bob horror fan, great comedian and avatar of darkness is here to give you all the need to knows and possibly (it's only a possibility mind you) of an Unbiased review of silent hill.

First off I shall verily set thy scene as I did hitherto venture towards the cinema ( and verily I dideth piss yon people off with ye olde english), yes very dull to set up and describe a journey to the cinema, but it was actually perfect for the film.

Because rather unbelivable and unexpectedly a very real fog did settle down, and as I was dropped off in the local town, which was eerily deserted, I headed off quickly through the town wandering why the hell I left my sledge hammer behind, and knowing full well I'd be pretty much screwed if an unspeakable moaning horror from silent hill did turn up,it of course didn

well onto the actual movie, with only a fleeting mention to the crap chairs and horribly sticky carpet, the movie starts with a scene of the protaganist looking for her missing daughter, and then rescuing her from jumping off a cliff, the daughter then predictably screams for silent hill, which despite sean beans best efforts to stop his wife taking their daughter there , goes anyway.

once we get to silent hill, we're treated (or subjected to, depending on your view point) a scene remarkable similar to the first game, what ho! surely thou didnst just remake the first game and stick a woman in the title role, verily (verily thankfully) they did not remake the first game, yes, very very similar in many respects, but very very differnt, the film is set in the present day, whereas the original Silent hill game HAD to be set sometime around the 1980's, give or take to make heathers age correct in silent hill and judging from the decor and style of the first game (possibly due to graphic factors, maybe intentional)

Ok, that was veering off a bit, ok, so we have principle characters from the first game, dahlia and Alessa gillespie turning up, Cybill bennett and everyones favourite giant sword wielding creature of judgement Pyramid head.

the plot is similar to but at the same time very differnt from silent hill, which is good, now as a horror film, the shocks are few and far between, relying more on tension, suspense and action, and keeping the deaths to a minimum.

right onwards, the music is mostly lifted directly from the games which certainly helps, the ending credits is the title song from silent hill 3, which sets the mood perfectly to the films bitter-sweet ending, which ends the film perfectly, leaving enough material for a direct sequal without actually setting a sequal in stone, and well enough so that the first movie is complete, unlike the resident evil movie.

Ok, finishing off, Silent hill as a movie, could probably have made it commercially without being called silent hill, but will do better because of it, it's not as scary as the games, and does have lots of backstory to it, but at the end of the day, silent hill works, it would work without the name, which is probably it's greatest strength, it has enough of silent hill's atmosphere to deserve it's name, while having it's own unique atmosphere.

It's differnt from what I was expecting, but in a good way, it is possibly the best non-animated movie of a video game in existence, and thankfully there is very little cgi used (it's mostly the fog), actors who arn't doing "wahey this is a video game movie let's muck about",

and I as a movie goer, and a fan of the games give it

8/10.

It is differnt enough to be new, while still being silent hill enough to deserve it's name.
differnt from what you might expect,
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:59 PM   #2
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Silent hill: The movie

I loved it. It's getting some awful reviews, but I'm beginning to get paranoid now, because every single review ascribes it's flaws to it's origins. It's almost as if they went in chanting to themselves about how "It's only a videogame, it can't be good!" instead of just taking the damn thing for what it was. Aside from some - admittedly, weirdly simplistic - A to B puzzles ("She's in the school") and the general structure, I really didn't think it screamed GAME!!! at any point.

I should say - I don't think it lived up to the promise that had me so giddy when I saw that little website intro all those months ago. The plot was fairly straightforward, and as I ranted about in the Movie thread, I was deeply unhappy about the religious subplot. The movie's portrayal of the Order's inner politics didn't cut it for me. Had the slightest tinge of Phantom Menace with a touch of The Ring about it, and there was simply too much pointing and yelling "Demon!" "Witch!". My one serious disappointment was that Rose wasn't really explored. She was resourceful and convincing and an engaging lead, but the demons in the town weren't really hers, and too little significance was given to what she did at the end, which was a big damned deal. Damned being the word of the day.

However, I still loved it. Loved the look, loved the feel, loved Radha Mitchell and the SFX were truly, jaw droppingly spectacular. The peeling is just so brilliant, right down to the oppressive, suffocating "PHOOOM!" of the darkness... Ah, and Rose's early race through the fences is one of my new favourite horror movie sequences. And the Nurse scene... misplaced, I think in terms of pacing, but oh my, it was spectacular all the same.

And yes, oh yes, is it better than Resident Evil.

EDIT: Oh, and how dare they tempt us with such a quick blast of the mandolins and then not give us the lot? Ah well, at least they got the well rawkin' guitars from SH3 at the end. Radha Mitchell's favourite song from the games, apparently.

Last edited by jill_valentine : Apr 22, 2006 at 08:54 PM.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Azrael
Wing Commander
442 flights since Jul 2003

Thanks to both of you . Im waiting that SH arrives here soon.
Azrael is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:18 PM   #4
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

When will you be getting it, you reckon Azrael?

Incidentally - Bob, yeah, I'd have put SH1 into the same timeless brown era as Silence of the Lambs, so yeah, late eighties, I think?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Azrael
Wing Commander
442 flights since Jul 2003

At The Caribbean Cinemas it says that the movie is at the Puerto Rico Theaters but not here~! ( and we havethe same CC thing and I still dont understand why we dont have a mutual release~! )

Yeah SH1 is at the 80ish

Last edited by Azrael : Apr 23, 2006 at 11:34 AM.
Azrael is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:48 AM   #6
Darth Bob
The Eld

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
When will you be getting it, you reckon Azrael?

Incidentally - Bob, yeah, I'd have put SH1 into the same timeless brown era as Silence of the Lambs, so yeah, late eighties, I think?

yes, 1986 being the most probably year ,assuming silent hill 3 happend sometime in 2003, with Heather being 17.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:29 PM   #7
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

I enjoyed it, though the ending was odd.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:52 PM   #8
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime75
I enjoyed it, though the ending was odd.

Indeed. Out of interest, you understood the general plot, right?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:52 PM   #9
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

I loved it, having never played the game. I certainly wouldn't mind though now I've seen the film.
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:01 PM   #10
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Glad to hear it. Could always use another perspective, because I'll be damned if I can figure it all out.

2-3 are available in a boxset now, SH1 - the best, by a narrow margin - on the PS1 is highly sought after.

Games are a lot trippyer. Lots of ambiguous declarations and ominous, ne'er to be explained sights and sounds. Takes patience though, because the gameplay mechanics are deliberately sluggish. You're fighting for survival, and you're literally armed with a board with a nail in it.

It comes at you from nowhere out of the dark and swipes a malformed limb at you. Staggering back, you try not to panic, try to react smart. Swing... and a hit! Gah! Take that you freaky legsthing! It staggers! It has four legs, and it's staggering! Ha-AAH! It's used my distraction to cuff me on the side of the head. Enraged as I am desperate now, I can feel my heart/ dualshock pounding. A square blow to it's head... place, another solid club, it's on the floor. Squirming and awful. I won't be down this hallway again. Don't need to kill it. It has nothing of use. But I hate it. I want to kill it so I know it's dead. I stamp it to death. It's not quick or quiet. It squeals, in pain and perhaps enjoying it, and then it only bleeds. It's done. I wipe my forehead with a sleeve, trying to catch my breath back. I survived it. I let my weapon swing down to my sides, and relax, barely aware now of my radio's white noise.

****, there's another eight of them.

Last edited by jill_valentine : Apr 27, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 05:20 PM   #11
Darth Bob
The Eld

I would actually say silent hill 3 was the best, with silent hill 2 being my firm favourite.

Still on the subject of the movie, personally I'm pretty annoyed that it's being almost universally being classified as a bad movie, especially by game orientated web comics, not that not unintitled to their own opinion (which will undoubtably put many people off) but when they say things like

"You might have seen people say that this was a good movie, or a faithful representation of the game, and I would urge you to disregard anything those people say in the future about movies or, indeed, any other subject "
- Jerry Holkins a.k.a tycho from penny arcade

why should one persons views on one particular film mean you should ignore there points of view indeffinatly, it seems to me to be a narrow minded and supercilious viewpoint.

Silent hill is a good movie in my opinion,
just like silent hill 3 is the best in my opinion, but I except that other people view things differntly, but I wouldn't ignore Nex just because he doesn't happen to like it, especially when there are so many better reasons to ignore nex.
Old May 6, 2006, 08:34 PM   #12
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Ok so I went to see Silent Hill again (a compromise as Wolf didn't want to see 16 Blocks or M.I.3) with Wolf. She thoroughly enjoyed it (unlike our previous outing to see Hostel, which resulted in her not talking to me until we were back on the bus home) but at the end of it she asked me a question which had me thinking: "Are they dead?"

From the film alone, I don't see why not. Any thoughts?
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 08:37 PM   #13
Darth Bob
The Eld

the truth is, your not meant to know, they could be, on the otherhand, they could be just trapped in another part of silent hill.

it's one of those, you make your own mind up endings.
Old May 7, 2006, 06:51 AM   #14
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

They're in The Twilight Zone.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 07:16 AM   #15
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Why did Rose point out Cybil's headwound from the crash? I'd assumed they were planning to tie Cybil in with what we know from SH1, but then she gets burned to death, so why would Alessa bother presenting Rose with Cybil at all. Unless the idea was to show Rose just how nasty the cult were, to make sure she'd do Many Names'es bidding?

It's been a while since I saw it, but when The Thing We Can't Agree On A Name For says "Don't worry, she won't hurt you..." is she saying it to:

a) Rose about Lisa.

b) Lisa about Rose.

c) Rose about Alessa.

d) Alessa about Rose.

?

Poor old Lisa.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]