Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Independence Day (1996)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Independence Day (1996)

EARTH. Take a good look. It could be your last. | guide

Old May 27, 2003, 12:56 PM   #1
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
The Bashing must stop! This movie fukin Rocks!

Okay I've noticed TONS of negativity towards this movie.

And the only reason is the fact that you all are expecting this to be 2001, or X-Men or some sort of Sci-Fi classic with tons of intellecutal concepts.

This movie is what it is. There is no better movie of Aliens invading Earth and humans and aliens in all out war then ID4. (dont even start to mention War of the Worlds and Day the Earth Stood Still, all were good though). This wasn't supposed to sweep the Oscars. This was supposed to be just a fun movie. And only meant to entertain.

With the premise and storyline of ID4 it couldn't have been better. I love this movie. I give it 7.5/10 (yes it has risen from last night)

So just remember everyone, that when you watch this movie its not supposed to be a classic its supposed to be entertaining.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 09:01 PM   #2
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
Re: The Bashing must stop! This movie fukin Rocks!

I liked it when I was your age too. But it is a very annoying movie that does not bear viewing outside of the theatre, or a second viewing in the theatre for that matter. A mayfly of a summer special effects spectacular that rightly belongs in the dustbin of history.

And X-men is hardly a 'Sci-Fi classic with tons of intellecutal concepts.'

I like my action movies witty. I also like them not to make me wince every five minutes. To top it all of it is a jingoistic piece of trash that makes post-911 Jay Leno seem almost palatable. But yes, good explosions.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 11:49 PM   #3
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Hey Jay Leno has the best non Soprano show on TV!

Anyways if I came across as saying X-Men being intellectual sorry.

But ID4 is just a fun movie. Its not supposed to be an Oscar movie. It just doesnt seem like you guys can get over that fact. It set out to do something and never lost focus! This is an excellenet film.
Old May 28, 2003, 07:13 AM   #4
Gildamere
Wing Commander
192 flights since Dec 2002

Well, take out the explosions and you are left with nothing...

When I saw it in the theatre I expected a lot more, because all of my friends, who had seen it, told me it was the movie of the year. It even got applause in cinemas which is a rare thing in Germany. So I saw it and was disappointed big time. That's why I don't like it.
Gildamere is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 10:49 AM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Oogaphlub
Hey Jay Leno has the best non Soprano show on TV!

Anyways if I came across as saying X-Men being intellectual sorry.

But ID4 is just a fun movie. Its not supposed to be an Oscar movie. It just doesnt seem like you guys can get over that fact. It set out to do something and never lost focus! This is an excellenet film.
I was refering to Leno's distasteful flag-waving and idiotic chest-beating nationalism. I've had enough mindless flag-waving in the first six years of my life to last me six-hundred, though I will admit that I've seen infinatly more of it in the past year and a half.
Please do not even pretend to suggest that oscars are not given to trash such as Independance Day. Hitler set out to do something and never lost focus too. Apearantly the film set out to be as worthless as possible and still make a whole lot of money. It is a very fun movie- But only if you are 14, seeing it for the first time, in the movie theatre.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 12:45 PM   #6
Phlub
The Head Hunter

I saw this movie in theatres at 7 yrs. old and have loved it since. SF you still don't get it, it wasn't supposed to be an Oscar movie like you all say it should have been before hand. It was meant to entertain. Movies on that scale and that size of epics are only meant to entertain. And thats what it did. If they made money off it, good for them! Cuz I loved this damn movie!
Old May 28, 2003, 05:35 PM   #7
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

I liked Independence Day the first time I saw it, but it just gets worse and worse after repeated viewings. The special effects are the only good things about this movie. Take away the good special effects, and all you have is an unoriginal, ridiculous, piece of junk. By the way, I don't want to sound anti-U.S. or anything, because I'm not, but this "Americans save the world" thing is really annoying. Do they really expect us to believe that the rest of the world would just sit around and do nothing and wait for the Americans to save their asses? And the Oscars are over-rated and over-glorified and are not indicators of quality.

Last edited by Lt_Johnny_Rico : Jun 25, 2003 at 06:59 PM.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Independence Day (1996)