Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:39 AM   #1
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003
So Disney bought Marvel. Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://marvel.com/company/index.htm?sub=viewstory_current.php&id=1343
“This transaction combines Marvel’s strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney’s creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories,” said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters. Mr. Perlmutter will oversee the Marvel properties, and will work directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build and further integrate Marvel’s properties.
So is this the death of Marvel? Will middle aged fan boys be pushed away for teeny boppers with a fascination for pink? Or is it a new era for both companies?

Movies, games, comics, franchises, lock stock and smoking barrel - all owned by Disney. The only thing we know for certain is that the films currently in the works with Sony et al will stay with them, however going forward it's Disney all the way.

Allegedly Disney purchased it due to loosing out on the young boy demographic. From a franchise point of view (toys, games etc), Marvel ticks that box, however from a creative & source point of view, not so much. The comics aren't mass published, you don't get a lot of kids where you do find the comics and the stories aren't all exactly Transfomers-lite. Even if you disregard their R-rated section, you're still dealing with some pretty heavy themes that I know would go over my 18 year old brother's head, never mind the 11 year old.

However, Disney could turn them mass market (either re-instating newstands as a channel, or expanding paperback). Major plus for Marvel, but how much creative direction will be retained? Writers like Warren Ellis, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Joss Whedon and Ed Brubaker writing stories for young boys, for Disney?! Now, that'd be a Karmic bite in the arse.

Then again Warner Brothers never really did expand the publishing market for DC and seemingly left that corner creatively untouched.

So who knows? Could even provide a new edge to the Disney Giant. Heck they managed to surprise us by letting Depp do his thing in Pirates, so anything's possible right?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:05 AM   #2
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
Re: So Disney bought Marvel. Huh.

I wouldn't worry too much. I figure they bought Marvel mostly for the film and merchandise rights. That's where the money actually is. I figure that executive meddling with the comics department will be minimal. At first anyway.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:17 AM   #3
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

I'm hopeful that SF's right, that they'll have minimal input into the Marvel arm of things, but I dunno... I think Disney have an awful tendency to try and put their brand on properties in a way that Warner doesn't. Gah.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

well... its going to spawn a new century of hero movies.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 04:37 PM   #5
homeworldrelic
Starfighter
104 flights since May 2004
Doesnt matter.

Its not as if marvel has done anything worth watching lately anyway. Aside from the second Hulk.

Bad acting and worse directing sums it up pretty well
homeworldrelic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 07:02 AM   #6
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

I think that people are more worried about the comics.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

^^ Yup.

(Though it would be shame if instead of Spiderman & X-men 1-2 we got FF4 versions)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum