Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Don't Panic

Old May 20, 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002
Deepthought and Marvin.

If Deepthought is supposedly the second greatest computer ever built (with the Earth being the greatest), and obviously does have a personality.

then how come Deepthought doesn't suffer the same morose outlook on the universe as Marvin, I know the simple explaination is the GPP chip, or maybe it's the diodes down the left side are better with deepthought, but how does such a computer of awesome intellegence battle boredom, when Marvin , with his brain the size of a planet can't.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002
Re: Deepthought and Marvin.

Marvin is a robot among humans. I guess he has been made in the purpose of serving humans(?) and he had been tried to made to an about same level with human intelligence (or perhaps a bit further). He realizes he's a robot.

Deepthought on the other hand has basically been made for eerm... processing and counting. So just get the job done and that's it, why would deepthought bother with anything else.

I dunno, that's just my view.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

The impression I got from the first book (which I will have to re-read again to make sure - oh, what a chore!) Marvin was actually designed to be depressed, it WAS his Genuine People Personality. Just as the Heart of Gold's doors were designed to be happy to serve you to close with a satisfied sigh, Marvin was designed to be miserable, and mope, and complain. Why? Because the people at the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation were bastards
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002
recycle reuse, just like new

Yes, there just a bunch of mindless jerks, I'm just glad they were the the first against the wall when the revolution came.

Wiki, says the reason is due to the fact that there are unresolved bugs in his gpp program.

though it's better to take what wiki says with a whole barrel of salt.

Gastly isn't it?
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Apparently one of the omnibuses is an Ultimate Edition type thing where Douglas Adams finally settled on a version that's the final official version. Apparently it's got a couple of extra bits, including a janitor distracting Deep Thought a mathematical question - which is definitely NOT in the version I have.

The search begins!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)