Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Sep 4, 2002, 01:26 PM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Ask the SciFlicks Guru

I know it all. Ask me anything. I am the oracle of my generation, a light when all other lights go out.

General
Understanding
Relatively
Useless

Seriously, ask me.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 01:29 PM   #2
La_Lune
Starfighter
168 flights since Jan 2002
Re: Ask the SciFlicks Guru

Why is the world so BIG!!!???
La_Lune is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 01:41 PM   #3
Jenny-1000
Starfighter
69 flights since Oct 2001

How far does the Universe stretch?
If it stops at any point, what's behind it?
In Space, is there an up, down, left and right?
What are the chances of there being life elsewhere?

Jenny-1000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 01:50 PM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny-1000
How far does the Universe stretch?
If it stops at any point, what's behind it?
In Space, is there an up, down, left and right?
What are the chances of there being life elsewhere?

The universe has no end and it has no beginning.
Up is above your head, down below your feet, left your left and right your right.
The chances of life being elsewhere are minimal if you believe in chance. The chances that we ended up here, now, in this condition, are so astronomical one can consider it impossible...if you believe in chance.

Last edited by HighWiredSith : Sep 17, 2002 at 01:22 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 01:51 PM   #5
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by La_Lune
Why is the world so BIG!!!???

Because we are so small. It also has to do with swamp gas and rays of light from venus.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 02:10 PM   #6
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Why do I have a feeling that in every class I get put in at school, it's the worst class?
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 02:15 PM   #7
Jenny-1000
Starfighter
69 flights since Oct 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith

The universe has no end and it has no beginning.
Up is above your head, down below, left your left and right your right.
The chances of life being elsewhere are minimal if you believe in chance. The chances that we ended up here, now, in this condition, are so astronomical one can consider it impossible...if you believe in chance.

Eek, HighWiredSith??? 'The Universe has no end and it has no beginning'????? I have to disgree with you on that. No-one on this tiny Earth knows for sure how big the Universe is and whether it stops or not! People may have ideas but no certaintys. Have you ever read any of Stephen Hawking's books?? They blow me away...

The chances of there being life elsewhere in the Universe, in my opinion, are very good. Maybe not like us, but some form of life definitely.
Jenny-1000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 02:17 PM   #8
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Public Schools = Social Engineering

Beware the government funded educator. I used to be one, then I was unschackled and crawled out of the darkness and into the light, shadows on a wall, Plato knew, knew it all too well.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 02:45 PM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny-1000

Eek, HighWiredSith??? 'The Universe has no end and it has no beginning'????? I have to disgree with you on that. No-one on this tiny Earth knows for sure how big the Universe is and whether it stops or not! People may have ideas but no certaintys. Have you ever read any of Stephen Hawking's books?? They blow me away...

The chances of there being life elsewhere in the Universe, in my opinion, are very good. Maybe not like us, but some form of life definitely.

Ah, Hawking! Stephen Hawking's books are a prime example of brilliant deductive thinking made useless because its based on simple, unproven assumptions and limited by a very typical thought process. Even Hawking's theories fall apart when enough questions are asked, questions as simple as the one's asked here, questions like, okay, if there was this big bang, what was there before and where did that come from? And where is the end of the universe and what's beyond that? It's quite difficult for us, even the most brilliant of us (like Hawking) to think beyond our own limitations. We see the universe in the terms and under the same contexts that we see ourselves, we have a beginning (birth) and an ending (death) and it is almost impossible for us to imagine something that doesn't. The universe? There had to be a beginning, right? Or did there? No beginning....no end.

Life elsewhere is not impossible, but if you consider the conditions and circumstances by which we "evolved" from a slushy concoction of basic proteins and amino acids that somehow "appeared" at the right time and under the right conditions on piece of explosive debris that just happend to get caught in a perfect orbit around a star perfectly suited to produce the forces necessary to do nothing less than transform a couple of very basic, very primitive substances into a life sustaining goo and further transform that goo into probable peice of matter that suddenly became "alive", you begin to see just how improbable the chances of this exact thing happening again, ever, are. It's all but impossible!

However, I don't believe that. The universe if far too designed, working perfectly like a massive, intricate, and infinately complicated piece of machinery, a great engine, to be the product of happenstance or chance.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 03:32 PM   #10
Coronis
Hehe... he said LOG...
296 flights since Feb 2002

If donald duck doesn't wear any pants, why would he have to put a towel around his waist once he gets out of the shower?
Coronis is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 04:31 PM   #11
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by Coronis
If donald duck doesn't wear any pants, why would he have to put a towel around his waist once he gets out of the shower?

Porky Pig does the same thing. It has to do with shrinkage. Non-cartoon males experience an effect called "shrinkage" in cold or tepid water, making them appear, to the naked eye, in less than their full self. Cartoons, being the opposite of real people, experience things in opposite, thus making what, under normal conditions would be invisible to the naked and unassuming eye, quite out there. Plus, I think Donald get aroused in the shower, being a duck and all.

Did you know that a Duck's quack does not echo and no one knows why?
Old Sep 4, 2002, 04:34 PM   #12
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

You haven't answered mine yet...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 04:48 PM   #13
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by NeXus_6
Why do I have a feeling that in every class I get put in at school, it's the worst class?

Because they are all bad. As I said in an earlier reply (sorry I failed to respond it directly to your question), most schools are exhibitions in social engineering, beware of them and the mind-controllers that run them. My suggestion: quit school, educate yourself, read the classics, learn the great philosophers, learn real history, learn unadulturated unmulticultured mathematics, pure science, not politically correct science. You learn nothing in school, even less in college. The greatest minds in history taught themselves. These are the words of an English teacher. I was there, I know the truth.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 06:08 PM   #14
Norbert
Starfighter
132 flights since Aug 2002

Oh great HighWiredSith,I beg one more indulgence.
Will RED DWARF the movie,ever reach screen?.
Bless me with your spurting allknowingness,Oh wise one.
Norbert is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 08:16 PM   #15
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith

Life elsewhere is not impossible, but if you consider the conditions and circumstances by which we "evolved" from a slushy concoction of basic proteins and amino acids that somehow "appeared" at the right time and under the right conditions on piece of explosive debris that just happend to get caught in a perfect orbit around a star perfectly suited to produce the forces necessary to do nothing less than transform a couple of very basic, very primitive substances into a life sustaining goo and further transform that goo into probable peice of matter that suddenly became "alive", you begin to see just how improbable the chances of this exact thing happening again, ever, are. It's all but impossible!

However, I don't believe that. The universe if far too designed, working perfectly like a massive, intricate, and infinately complicated piece of machinery, a great engine, to be the product of happenstance or chance.

And that is why I sort of believe in God.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]