Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:58 PM   #1
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

A Terry Gilliam film that is sure to make oodles of money and thereby ease the way for future big budget Gilliam productions thus allowing this great genius to bring us ever more AWESOME in the years to come? Yes please.

This is Heath Ledger's LAST performance- also starring Johnny Depp. Generally speaking, the cash flow side of film bores me to tears- but Gilliam NEEDS a blockbuster. And we NEED Gilliam.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003
Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

I'm still scarred by Tideland (and to a faaaar lesser extent Bros Grimm). I'm just going to imagine this is another Big Fish and forget about it, so my little world stays safe from disappointment (though the scarring may/may not still apply if I fall across it).

Damnit. I just read the synopsis, I was fiiiiiiiiine till I hit Nick. I like Nick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdb
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is a fantastical morality tale, set in the present day. It tells the story of Dr Parnassus and his extraordinary 'Imaginarium', a travelling show where members of the audience get an irresistible opportunity to choose between light and joy or darkness and gloom. Blessed with the extraordinary gift of guiding the imaginations of others, Dr Parnassus is cursed with a dark secret. Long ago he made a bet with the devil, Mr Nick, in which he won immortality. Many centuries later, on meeting his one true love, Dr Parnassus made another deal with the devil, trading his immortality for youth, on condition that when his first-born reached its 16th birthday he or she would become the property of Mr Nick. Valentina is now rapidly approaching this 'coming of age' milestone and Dr Parnassus is desperate to protect her from her impending fate. Mr Nick arrives to collect but, always keen to make a bet, renegotiates the wager. Now the winner of Valentina will be determined by whoever seduces the first five souls. Enlisting a series of wild, comical and compelling characters in his journey, Dr Parnassus promises his daughter's hand in marriage to the man that helps him win. In this captivating, explosive and wonderfully imaginative race against time, Dr Parnassus must fight to save his daughter in a never-ending landscape of surreal obstacles - and undo the mistakes of his past once and for all...

Why are there 4 Tonys? Is this an adaptation?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:53 PM   #3
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
I'm still scarred by Tideland
Ah, so my girlfriend and I are not the only people to have seen it? Wonderful, beautiful, creepy film. You didn't like it?
Quote:
and to a faaaar lesser extent Bros Grimm
That turd does not count. Gilliam was a hired hand. Hardly any creative control. Seeing it made me a firm beliver in auteur theory.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Seraph

Grimm was awfull. Tideland however, squicked me, hugely. Beautifull yes, but I found it extremely uncomfortable to watch and have no desire to repeat the experience.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 03:08 PM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Beautiful yes, but I found it extremely uncomfortable to watch
Well, yes. That was the point I think. I had much the same felling. But at the same time I found myself deeply engaged in the story and the characters. I liked it- though I wasn't sure what I thought of it when I was walking out of the theater, I am now quite sure that I like it. I'd like to see it again.

As for Grimm- As I said, it was not a 'Gilliam film' in the true sense of the word. He was just hired to direct the awful thing. It was certainly pretty, and those things that Gilliam was allowed to have control over were done right. You can't really blame the man for other people's mistakes on that project. His only major mistake there IMHO was coming on board in the first place. And that is the one thing that helped make this movie marginally watchable (as eye candy) in the first place.
Quote:
Is this an adaptation?
I don't believe so...
Old Dec 17, 2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Here is the trailer, if you haven't seen it already.

http://movies.apple.com/movies/sony/...s-tlr_480p.mov
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:41 PM   #7
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

I saw the movie yesterday and I enjoyed it immensely. I'll probably post my thoughts on it eventually, but expect them to be have spoiler tags attached. In the meantime, I highly recommend that you see this film as soon as it comes out in your area.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Seraph

I liked it, in a totally different way than expected. Loved the fairytale visualisation (expected), not so much if Ledger had played it through to the slightly predictable yet not so wanted ending (not expected) - also not expected: Lily Cole, definite muse in the making.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:27 AM   #9
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

One of the most most interesting parts of this movie for me was the character of the Devil. The great choice of casting Tom Waits in this role is only the beginning of it.

The Devil is not evil. Nor is he the sort of gothy whining Byronic anti-hero that a Miltonian Lucifer tends to be reduced to these days. Nor is he for that matter a traditional Miltonian Lucifer.

The film offers us a dialectic that has nothing to do with good and evil as such but is rather one of Parnassus's idealism and the Devil's materialism.

Once a person goes through the mirror one is given a choice- not between good and evil- but between the ideal and the material. Between the immediate desires of the body and the higher narrative aspirations of the soul- which often involve a degree of self-sacrifice at the service of society. The choice might also sometimes be seen as regression vs. progression. The good are freed and the evil are devoured no matter which path they take. Both Parnassus's path and the Devil's path reward the good and punish the evil.

As the film progresses it becomes obvious that the devil sees Parnassus as neither an enemy nor potential victim, but rather as an eternal companion and playmate. Every time Parnassus loses to the Devil, the Devil offers him a new wager instead of collecting his debt. In the end, the devil seems more interested in punishing the real villain of the film (who had taken the Parnassus path, by the way)

The film does not in my opinion elevate the ideal above the material. It simply shows us that you can be a total ******* no matter which path you end up taking.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies