Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

The human adventure is just beginning. | TMP guide

Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:19 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
What's Next

I only consider myself an moderate Trekkie, but I have been scanning the net for weeks with the near-vain hope that Star Trek may have some kind of a future. This is the first news I've read since Enterprise was canned about anything new and it's really good news, though not much more than rumor at this point. Also got a confirmation on Logan's Run in it.

Quote:
From SciFi Wire

Singer Considers Trek Movie

Bryan Singer, an avowed Star Trek fan, told SCI FI Wire that he's thought about directing a Trek movie. "I'm a huge fan," Singer said in an interview at the Nov. 30 premiere of the SCI FI Channel's upcoming original miniseries The Triangle, which he executive-produced with Dean Devlin.

Singer added: "We're huge Trekkies. And we've always talked about what we would do, and what would I do, if I were to make a film in that universe."

It's unclear when or if Paramount will mount another Trek film, since its last effort, Star Trek: Nemesis, did poorly at the box office and the last Trek series, Star Trek: Enterprise, was canceled after drawing low ratings.

Singer has kept a strong link with the Trek universe. He made a cameo appearance in Nemesis. He also worked on the last two X-Men films with The Next Generation's Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard). Singer is currently finishing Superman Returns and is working on his next project, an update of the SF movie Logan's Run.

"Again, you know, it's the same thing: X-Men, Superman, Logan's Run, all these things: There are these incredible universes, really," Singer said, adding: "You kind of wish you could play in them all. I mean, I got to do a cameo in the last Star Trek film; that was a thrill. I got to be on the Enterprise when it was under attack."

As for what he would do in his version of a Star Trek movie? "[That's] a longer story," he said. "It would involve ... it would be big. It would be very big."
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Slash
Starfighter
137 flights since Aug 2003
Re: What's Next

Quote:
Stewart also told UK's Teletext that plans are afoot to make another TNG feature film for the big screen, as revealed this week by SFX Magazine (story)

Despite plans at Paramount for a TREK prequel movie featuring an all-new cast -- currently titled STAR TREK: THE BEGINNING, Stewart said, "About four months ago at a meeting in Los Angeles the subject was raised quite seriously from a very interesting point of view. I have been saying for four years now that it's over. No fantasies about it coming back, the space suits have been hung up for good."

"But there are weighty people in Hollywood who are very interested in one more run around the holodeck. There are serious plans."

"I was told this may happen two or three years down the road, by which time I'll be able to sit again in the captain's chair, but then again, it's not all that far away and if I'm in good shape I'd love to do it."

And the plot thickens....

I felt let down by Nemesis, I hope if this movie ever happens they send off the TNG crew on a nice note....Give TNG their Undiscovered Country
Slash is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:04 AM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I very much doubt they'll do any more Next Generation films. They've got three other series' that never got their shot at the big screen to give the NG another one.

And the prequel idea should be dead now with the early demise of Enterprise. It's time for something new and fresh and it's time to let an established genre-driven director like Bryan Singer have a shot at resecutating Star Trek.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Singer does have the right type of eutopia feel for Trek.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:56 PM   #5
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Here's the first actual hard story on a rumor I read about six months ago...may be some merit to it after all.

Quote:
From SciFiWire

Kirk To Return In Mirror Trek?

The Canmag.com Web site reported a rumor that William Shatner is one of the former Star Trek captains who would appear in a proposed new Trek movie set in the "mirror" universe. Citing an anonymous source, the site reported that a script is floating around for a proposed new movie that would bring together Shatner's Capt. James T. Kirk, Patrick Stewart's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard and possibly Scott Bakula's Capt. Jonathan Archer. The movie would be a prequel film set in the evil parallel universe first introduced in the original Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror" and last seen in the Star Trek: Enterprise two-part episode "In a Mirror, Darkly."

Shatner was rumored to be up for a guest role in the last season of Enterprise, which ended in May, but never appeared. The site reported that the proposed film might incorporate elements of that episode as well.

Officially, Paramount has made no announcements about a future Trek movie of any kind, and cast and crew members have repeatedly said on the record that they know of no plans for a further installment in the venerable movie franchise.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 06:59 AM   #6
Seraph

Well considering there's so much stuff arisen in the past few weeks something must be happeneing.

Now there's a 'Source' saying that yes Paramount have asked for one script, but nothing has been decided and the rumours of Mirror thingy are ignored.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=33701
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:32 AM   #7
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I've heard the above rumor debunked a number of times after it was posted. What that means, I have no idea. I think, from all that I read, that Paramount has about six months to make a decision or Trek is dead for a good long time. There has been talk (or rumor), that having Trek dissappear for a few years may be what the series needs, a sort of cleansing of all the nonsense before it comes back in a big way around 2010 (the year we really make contact!). I think they are afriad that another film will just be more of the same or at least seem like more of the same for potential audiences. A film featuring three captains will likely do little to appeal to audiences outside of the convention culture.

As much as I love Trek (most of it anyway), I say let it go for a few years. Let the plethora of actors who are desparately hoping for a new gig move on, die, or just plain go away. Let the cult of Trek writers, directors, and producers who have steered this starship into the black hole it's currently ensnared in go away too and find other jobs. Then, when Scott Bakula is back on daytime TV, when Wil Wheaton is back stocking shelves at Wal-Mart, and when Rick Berman is writing cereal commercials...maybe Trek can be reborn...and ultimately saved!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Seraph

The rumour about letting it die for a few years came direct from Paramount and the big wigs.

I don't see any need to rush to make a 'decision' in the next 6 months or have to put it off a few years. They've got all the time they want to bat ideas around. Doubtless scripters will continue to pitch them.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:53 PM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

It seems that most of the contacted players in the Trek universe will have their contracts expire mid-2006. On the one hand, it means Paramount has to make a decision quick. On the other, it will be a good first step in cleansing the franchise of the status quo.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:45 AM   #10
Slash
Starfighter

As much as the internet is in "let Star Trek die" mode, the fact of the matter is, it is a critical time in the history of the franchise.Paramount can do one of two things. They can bring back Stewart and Shatner and bring out the big guns and have Star Trek run on nostalgia or they can let it die. But what will 5 years away from television really do? Give us a new crop of actors? Different bunch of characters? Couple new storylines?

Star Trek is Star Trek for better or worse. When it eventually comes back, I don't think they are going to stray too far from the intended vision. Or else it'll be Star Trek in name only and there are other better shows going on now and probably whenever it decides to come back as well. There has never been a problem with the actors, its mostly been the horrendous, bland writing for the past decade or so. So why not bring back the characters the fans and mainstream once accepted, and bring aboard someone like Bryan Singer.

I don't think you will see another pop culture Star Trek craze when TNG ruled the world in the early-mid 90's, but you can still carve out a niche and build a strong fanbase. If Superman Returns kicks butt like most believe it will and Singer still wants to be apart of a Star Trek movie, I say bring back Stewart and Shatner and kick some butt. What have you got to lose.

It looks more appealing money wise then relaunching the franchise 5 years from now when your fanbase may have left you for good and it'll be even harder to create one among today's youth.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:09 PM   #11
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Good points there Slash. If you can tolerate the ego of Nicholas Myers, I suggest listening to the commentary and watching the extras on the Wrath of Kahn DVD. Meyers took a dying franchise and gave it a huge kick in the kinickers by re-imaging it in a lot of not-so-subtle ways. He literally brought Trek back from the brink. Can it be done again? Can Bryan Singer save it? I don't know. I do think it needs to be purged of a lot the writers and producers who've led it down this path. Trek has floundered in the shadow of a lot of great science fiction in the past ten years.

I keep beating this dead horse, but Nemesis was a good film but it failed miserably. Can't help but wonder why.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:02 PM   #12
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Confirmation from Patrick Stewart that the Paramount Powers are intent on letting Trek fade away for an extended amount of time:

Quote:
From TrekWeb

STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION star Patrick Stewart told Yahoo News UK more about his meetings with the studio for a proposed STAR TREK XI featuring Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise-E crew.

"Weighty people in Hollywood have come up with a very interesting proposition." he said

He insists the offers would be tempting, if only he were a little younger. "But they told me it was still two, three or four years down the road, by which time I would only be able to sit in the captain's chair and not have the energy to get out of it!"
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:07 AM   #13
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith
As much as I love Trek (most of it anyway), I say let it go for a few years. Let the plethora of actors who are desparately hoping for a new gig move on, die, or just plain go away. Let the cult of Trek writers, directors, and producers who have steered this starship into the black hole it's currently ensnared in go away too and find other jobs. Then, when Scott Bakula is back on daytime TV, when Wil Wheaton is back stocking shelves at Wal-Mart, and when Rick Berman is writing cereal commercials...maybe Trek can be reborn...and ultimately saved!

Finally the movers and shakers at Paramount are listening to the Sith! Now if only Geroge Lucas could have learned the lesson that Trek has...oh the wonders I could have done with the prequels....

Quote:
From DarkHorizons
The latest issue of Dreamwatch spoke with producer Rick Berman's assistant Doug Mirabello who revealed that the Erik Jendresen "Star Trek: The Beginning" script had been scrapped and that there isn't likely to be any Star Trek in movie theatres or on Television for quite some time says Trekweb.

He also says that to his knowledge there are no plans for using Patrick Stewart in any forthcoming TNG movie projects. "It's more likely that some executive had a casual conversation with him and brought up some hypotheticals which he ran with when some reporter asked him about Star Trek. There's a chance that someone else at Paramount is planning something huge and keeping us out of the loop. From what I've heard, Patrick wouldn't do another Trek movie unless they paid him Professor X money."

Now that the merger between UPN and WB is in full swing, Mirabello is not optimistic about a small screen future either - "The TV side is now technically in control of the franchise's future, and Les Moonves hates all things Sci-Fi. However, I think this is actually for the best - the public needs to want to see Star Trek again. The best way to achieve this is to take it away for a few years and then bring it back and do it right. The franchise needs a totally new creative team, some time off, and a cool new approach".
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:57 AM   #14
Slash
Starfighter

Inferiority cannot be simply tucked away and shelved for a number of years and then simply brought back and considered new and refreshing. I feel a real sense of sadness and disappointment, I really do. This sense of idealism that if Star Trek only takes a small nap and then wakes up will somehow make all the problems of the last decade go away is somewhat laughable.

They think 5 years away from television will make us forget the 10 years of bad television that came before it? I'm sure the same idiot who decided to release Nemesis a week before the opening of The Two Towers is the same idiot who decided it would be a great idea to let the series die rather than resurrect it.

And who are they kidding? The minute the show comes back, they will use all the cliches of the past anyways. Not that it matters to some of the actors. Bill Shatner is finally stepping out of his Kirk shadow with a great run on Boston Legal. Patrick Stewart has Hollywood anytime he wants. The X Men franchise won't be the only suitor. And it doesn't really matter with me. My loyalty never really resided with Star Trek, it always resided with the actors who brought Star Trek to life. Because somewhere along the line, they forgot to inject Star Trek with the humanity it always needed, not more "Warp core breach imminent in 5 seconds Captain," lingo.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:53 PM   #15
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Yeah, I think it's kind of sad too. Star Trek was like comfort food to me. Between the reruns of TNG and DS9, the occassional film, and even my ocassional dips into Voyager and less frequently into Enterprise, it's always been there, a way to get a cheap sci-fi fix amidst a world of TV garbage.

On the other hand, I think science fiction has really come into its own the past few years with some very good offerings and Trek just got left behind in land of cliche'dom. The utopian idealism just doesn't appeal anymore agsint the backdrop of far more intersting science fiction environments like The Matrix, Battlestar Galactica, and even Firefly. Now George Lucas is pining to get into TV to fill the Trek void.

Trek needs a big shake-up and needs to lose it's often made fun of identity of geeks in solid colored t-shirts with fake Vulcan ears. I have hope that they'll eventually come up with something fresh and new. Only time will tell.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]