Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

The human adventure is just beginning. | TMP guide

Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Lost Trek XI - A New Direction?

Cool news. Indeed they are outing the old and in with the new. The Jendreson script is out, Berman is out, things are actually looking up. But I am still of the opinion that some time without Trek would be beneficial for the long term run of the franchise.

Here's the artical from ScyFyPortal:

Quote:
J.J. Abrams In, Jendresen/Berman Out In Star Trek XI
Paramount opts to go with 17-year-old story pitch

(April 21 2006) - After more than a year of speculation, turmoil and not-so-certain paths, it appears Paramount Pictures has finally found its way in terms of how to move forward with its Star Trek franchise. And it involves someone who has a lot of experience with getting "Lost."

J.J. Abrams, fresh off directing "Mission Impossible III," fresh off saying goodbye to the series that made him a name -- "Alias" on ABC -- and fresh off seeing his other series "Lost" continue to be a hit for ABC, will produce and direct Star Trek XI, according to Hollywood trade publication Variety.

That means that long-time torch-bearer Rick Berman is out. And with a concept that is reportedly centered around "Starfleet Academy," it means that writer Erik Jendresen and his Romulan War trilogy also is out.

Abrams is sticking with a team he knows, bringing on board Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk as producers from "Lost," and will be written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who recently collaborated with Abrams in "MI3."

The new feature, which has yet to be titled, is expected to be released as early as 2008, and will feature around younger versions of Capt. James T. Kirk and Cmdr. Spock in their academy days. If the concept sounds familiar, it should. One-time Star Trek film producer Harve Bennett made such a pitch after the dismal 1989 performance of "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier," which was directed by the film's star, William Shatner, as a way to refresh the film series by minimizing costs and introducing a much younger cast.

Paramount instead opted to move forward with Nicholas Meyer and "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country," which said good-bye to the original crew of the Enterprise and would make way for the cast from "Star Trek: The Next Generation" to take over in 1994's "Star Trek Generations."

Since then, however, Bennett's idea never died, at least in fandom. Before each film and television product, it would become an almost expected "idea" rumored to be the next film or television series. In early days, it would get a lot of attention, but in recent years was dismissed as nothing more than a recycled rumor from Star Trek's folklore past and almost a joke among fans.

It appears that with this project, Paramount hopes to center around the famous characters of Kirk and Spock to revitalize the franchise, without having to pay hefty salaries that likely would be demanded from the characters' originators -- Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. Nimoy continues his "retirement" from most things Hollywood, pursuing hobbies and attending conventions, while Shatner is one of the stars of another hit series on ABC, "Boston Legal."

As the story broke in the early hours of Friday morning on the east coast, the news from Paramount has met with mixed reactions from fans. One of the Internet's largest Star Trek message boards, TrekBBS, exploded with both the bad and the good.

"I really dislike the 'Kirk and Spock, the early years' idea and I am glad they never made the Bennett Starfleet academy movie," said a poster using the handle of Cyrus. "But even bad ideas can be made into good movies, with good writers and directors, and in this case, good casting for young Kirk and Spock. So I am going to be optimistic as usual and hope it turns out great."

Another poster, Vulcan Soul, did not share Cyrus' optimism.

"OMFG, after 'SF Academy' has remained a bad rumor for 20 years, they are actually going for it now?" Vulcan Soul asked. "Just had to check the calendar if it's either April 1 or Friday the 13th."

Vulcan Soul went on in a later post to question the timing of the announcement, and the film's release, planned just six years following the last feature, "Star Trek: Nemesis."

"It's really enlightening again to see how much of a cash cow this franchise still is for these greedy bastards," Vulcan Soul said. "How long has '(Star Trek Enterprise' been off the air? One year? Two years? This hardly qualifies as a 'creative break.' 'Nemesis has not been forgotten yet, and does the average really know and care who is working behind the scenes? This does not bode well indeed, but then again, I've come to expect that from a 100 percent cash-focused movie industry."

Jendresen, who has spoken with SyFy Portal almost exclusively about his script idea over the past year, was not available when contacted very early this morning to comment. - Article by Michael Hinman
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Slash
Starfighter
137 flights since Aug 2003
Re: Lost Trek XI - A New Direction?

OMG!

Kirk and Spock without Shatner and Leornard is like cheesecake but without the cheese or the cake. And didn't Spock and Kirk meet for the first time after they reimagined the series and threw Pike to the wolves?

Just use The Nexus to bring back Kirk and Picard and both crews and have one last hurrah. Throw in some "federation destroyed, universe in chaos," some "time travel," some huge explosions, awesome space fights, have Kirk, Picard and company save the day (change history back to a Federation included uinverse,) ride off into the sunset and that's that.

Who cares who's supposed to be dead or who lives in what century. The mythology of Star Trek has been messed around anyways, just give the fans a good adventure...None of this Spock meets Kirk nonsense.
Slash is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:49 PM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

It's the StarWarsification of Star Trek. Despite the constant barrage of critical attacks on GL's prequel mess, from a corporate standpoint it made oogles of cash. The whole Obi-Wan meets Anakin meets Vader thing was enough to make the films, all the films, runaway box office smashes.

If the film is well made, well written, well directed, and cast with great young actors then I think it can be a runaway success. I'm actually a little excited.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Slash
Starfighter

Yes, that is quite true actually. I guess it depends on what Paramount really wants, money or a bright future for Star Trek. The Star Wars PT brought in alot of $$$$, but it alienated many fans due to the portrayal of the characters.

When I think "Starfleet Academy," I think of those books I used to borrow from the library with a young Kirk and Spock on the cover, and how their adventure is nothing more than stopping a coolant leak on deck 8.

But I suppose you are right, if all is done well, it can turn out a success, which is what Paramount wants. However, it has always been my contention that it was the actors who made the show work, not the characters. I don't know if I can personally take watching a movie called Star Trek without either Shatner or Stewart involved.

It's like sleeping with a blanket as a child for so long and then you have to find a new one when your older. You don't want to give up "blankie" but you have to...
Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:30 AM   #5
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Pretty much what we've heard already but here it is:
Quote:
Berman Not Part Of Trek 11

Longtime Star Trek writer and producer Rick Berman, who joined the franchise at the feet of creator Gene Roddenberry, will not be involved in the proposed 11th Trek film, to be directed by Mission: Impossible III helmer J.J. Abrams, SCI FI Wire has learned.

A Paramount spokesperson confirmed that Berman—who started with Trek under Roddenberry in 1987 as a writer and producer on TV's Star Trek: The Next Generation—would not take part in Abrams' film. "J.J. is also a producer, and Rick Berman is not involved in any way," the representative confirmed over the weekend.

It will mark the first time that a Trek project has not had Berman's creative input in more than 18 years. Berman produced and co-wrote the last four films and co-created the TV series Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; he also wrote, contributed story ideas to or produced all Trek incarnations since the original series. Berman's last film, Star Trek: Nemesis, tanked at the box office, and Berman's last series, Enterprise, was canceled by UPN after only four seasons because of poor ratings.

The new Trek film will be written by Abrams and his M:I III writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, who worked with Abrams on the Alias series. The new Trek film will reportedly go back to the first meeting of James T. Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Academy and deal with their first missions into space. Orci and Kurtzman previously wrote for TV's Xena: Warrior Princess and co-wrote the films The Legend of Zorro, The Island and the upcoming Transformers: The Movie.

Berman has previously said he wasn't sure about the future of the Star Trek franchise, but always hoped to revive and be involved in the franchise somehow. —Mike Szymanski

I don't know, the more I think about this the more the word "prequel" pops into my head...and that can't be a good sign. Why are so few movie franchises afraid to actually move ahead these days. Like the endless barrage of remakes, it seems established film franchises are all wanting to go backwards.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I really cannot stress how much of a bad idea this sounds to me I don't like the idea of young Kirk and young Spock and the countless other youngified cameos they'll doubtless cram in at the expence of the 'plot'.

I may, of course, be completely overreacting and it could be as good as any of the others that came before it (except possibly II and IV). Who knows?
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:47 PM   #7
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Yeah, you've got a bottomless pit of cameos here, Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the rest of the original crew, not to mention a smattering of other characters throughout the canon.

The sooner we get past the "James Kirk meet Spock" moment the better. At least in Star Wars there was some real significance in the prequels. The original films were full of conflict resolutions that began in the prequels. Other than the novelty of seeing two characters meet is there really any reason for a Trek prequel?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:53 PM   #8
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Especially since we've already been given a (boring enough for me to not botherc with more than three episodes) prequel on TV. The idea and thought behind Enterprise was a lot more valid than it is behind this film - I just wish I enjoyed the end product enough to actually commit to watching it properly.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:31 AM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

New news today:

Quote:
Star Trek is returning to the big screen, and M:I3 director J.J. Abrams is committed to producing the 11th "Star Trek" feature film. Paramount Pictures said that there are plans for him to direct as well.

Abrams also will write the script with his "Mission: Impossible III" co-writers, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, Paramount spokeswoman Nancy Kirkpatrick said.

We also found out that William Shatner will return, but will not be playing Captain Kirk. Interesting.

Also coming along for the ride: Damon Landelof and Bryan Burk, who has been doing the producing duties on "Lost.'' Abrams will write the script, working with Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (part of Abrams' "Alias'' crew) who helped to script "MI3.''

The studio is hoping to release the new "Star Trek" film in 2008. No plot for the movie has been divulged and no one has been cast for the film.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Slash
Starfighter

We also found out that William Shatner will return, but will not be playing Captain Kirk.

Even Jesus could write the script and it would still suck if Shatner was not Kirk
Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Shatner will probably play young Kirks father/mentor/ something similar/insert other role-model type person
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:39 AM   #12
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Okay, rewind and start over...
Quote:
Abrams Denies 'Academy' Rumors
But Classic Crew "Could Live Again"

(April 26 2006) - Star Trek fandom apparently has been worked into a lather for no good reason. J.J. Abrams said reports that he would use a decades-old "Starfleet Academy" plot pitch as the basis for his revival of the franchise are false, according to Empire Online.

News that Abrams would use the "Starfleet Academy" story of Kirk and Spock's early days drew strong reactions among some Trek fans. One-time Trek producer Harve Bennett first pitched the idea more than 15 years ago before it was ultimately rejected.

Rumors that Paramount Studios would greenlight a Trek project based on the "Starfleet Academy" premise have surfaced, from time to time, ever since.

"The whole thing was reported entirely without our cooperation," Abrams said in an interview with the Empire Online website.

"People learned that I was producing a Star Trek film, that I had an option to direct it, they hear rumors of what the thing was going to be and ran with a story that is not entirely accurate."

Abrams, however, won't reveal specifics what the next Trek film, slated for 2008, will focus on for a story, saying, "We've made a pact not to discuss any specifics.")

Empire Online noted that the "Lost" creator and "Mission Impossible III" helmer is a "Star Trek" fan, so the picture may still in some way feature Kirk, Spock and the original crew.

"Those characters are so spectacular. I just think that, you know, they could live again," he said. - Article by Scott Nance
Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:21 PM   #13
Slash
Starfighter

I wonder how much of that was a case of Trekkies going absolutely ape-$hit over the news and then Paramount and JJ running to the rescue to quash the rumours. If Star Trek is run on nostalgia, I think it can survive on life support for a few more years while the brass monkeys over at Paramount decide how to revive the franchise on television.

Hopefully TNG gets one final hurrah, Nemesis was no way to go out.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:40 PM   #14
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

but are they infact trying to save the trek franchise?
I can't help but feel there trying there damned hardest to run it into the ground.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:38 PM   #15
Slash
Starfighter

Well, I guess you are right. Maybe they don't really want to "save" the franchise, they more than likely want to "make" money from the most profitable franchise they have. So to anyone who believes Paramount is going to let Star Trek die for a number of years, it's simply wishful thinking. And they're trying to resurrect it the usual way. They look around at what is making money or is popular these days and just cut and paste Star Trek into it. Prequels and remakes and restarts seem to be the norm these days, so "hey why not Star Trek?" is what they must be saying.

The entire premise of Kirk and Spock in Starfleet Academy is undoubtebly stupid. First of all, it wasn't a friendship between Kirk and Spock, it was a triangle between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. To leave out McCoy is to bastardize the entire thing. The journey the characters partake in are very important and is what mostly defines their friendship. The series never really showed us the truth behind their friendship, it wasn't until Star Trek II: TWOK and Star Trek III: TSFS that we understood the depth of their friendship and really cemented the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship. Thus we can go back and watch the series as Nic Meyer said, and take with us what we come to find out through the natural course of history.

You can't simply take out the Enterprise, the crew (Uhura, Scotty, Checkov and Sulu) the Klingons, Khan, and everything else and make this whole young Kirk/Spock thing click.

What I want to know is did Paramount even suggest this idea, (it's been floating around since what, after Star Trek V,) so either it was simply a mixup or Paramount actually suggested this idea, and if that is true, I'm glad Trekkies went bananas about it.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]