Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Mighty panorama of Earth-shaking fury as an army from Mars invades! | original guide

View Poll Results: New film: will it be hopelessly americansed, with stupid annoying american "hero's"?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:56 PM   #1
Bigfootedfred
Apprentice
3 flights since Aug 2003
The New War Of the worlds movie

hi. ive been a fan of the book, the war of the worlds scince i was very young. but when i saw the orginal film when i was 5 years ago. i was grossly disapointed.

then recently, i heard there was new one comming out. i had a look at Parmounts trailer, and was agian completely disgusted with the crappy corny patheitc annoying americanisation of the whole damn thing.

but i found some new information recently, that development is being changed. and its now going to be set 100% true to the book......well we can only hope, but its definatly going to be in victorian engalnd. where its supposed to be. and due for realse some time next year. proably august 2004. which is excellnt news.

the design scecthes look frigging awseome http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWKEY.html

so do you think the film will still be hopelessly americanised even though its set in england 1898(heard it was going to have "tom cruise" starring.....), or will it be saved?
Bigfootedfred is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:05 PM   #2
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re

Even if its set in England I hope it will be "Americanized." I'd sure hate to see the movie with aliens chasing down people in gorilla suits chasing other people with bad teeth. Of course with the goofy music playing and the scene being sped up, it may make it a little more tolerable.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:17 AM   #3
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: The New War Of the worlds movie

I can never understand as to why people regard the 1953 film "War Of The Worlds" as the original. It has NEVER been made. H G Wells vision was of towering tripods and not those terrible flying machines. The closest that anyone has ever come to getting the story made was that of musician Jeff Wayne and his rock opera album from 1978. OK, so some parts of the album may now sound outdated because of the 70s musical riffs, but the rest has stood the test of time.

Turning H G Wells classic sci-fi novel into a movie would be one hell of a huge undertaking and so far NO ONE has come up with any plans to make it, and carry them out. Film companys like PARAMOUNT and PENDRAGON PICTURES have all said they would make it, so far!- well? where is it then. A film version of WOTW must be completely English, not Americanised, it would not work any other way Im affraid. It MUST be set in its original year of 1900, it must feature the tripods, handling machines and the tragic martian flying machine, made as close as Wells describes them.

Maybe one day it will be made into a film and lets hope it pretty soon.

J Smith (War Of The Worlds Historian)
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:29 PM   #4
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

If the production company is reworking the script the project could die in preproduction. I would be sceptical of a new version being filmed until it gets passed the preproduction stage. Many potential films have in preproduction.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 05:58 PM   #5
Supreme_Martian
Apprentice
4 flights since Dec 2003
As long as it doesn't end up like time machine

I'm way sick of butcherings like the recent version of the time machine. the early stuff and time travel special effects were cool enough, but it swiftly degenerated into something bereft of all the charm, intelligence and meaning of the original.

If they actually make a new wotw film I want:

No 'hero comes up with special way to kill martians'

No 'new characters added for no good reason'

No 'updating ideas for the modern audience'

No 'political correctness for no good reason' (removing sexism etc from historical films is a grotesque insult to all those who suffered and fought for change)

No 'it doesn't belong in this era but we liked the idea'

No 'I have my own ideas and agenda and I think I'm better than the master of literature that wrote a story that has been popular for over 100 years so I'll just change all the important bits'

No 'relying on special effects to replace drama.' Literary science fiction is about ideas, film makers seem to think that it should just be about special effects

No 'this could be a good film to help (x) career, the role doesn't suit him/her but we will shoe-horn them into it.'

There is no reason on Earth or Mars that they can't make an accurate version of the book that will last throught the ages as a cinema classic while also capturing the hearts and minds of the general populace. Don't dumb it down, don't change it. Just do it right!
Supreme_Martian is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: Re

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Even if its set in England I hope it will be "Americanized." I'd sure hate to see the movie with aliens chasing down people in gorilla suits chasing other people with bad teeth. Of course with the goofy music playing and the scene being sped up, it may make it a little more tolerable.

I swear to God you really are retarded. You should have been aborted at conception. Do you even realise where England is? Or that there is even anything else out side of the "Great USof A" thats sarcasm if you dont understand it.
Go home and re-read the book and until you actually know what you are talking about, don't go wasting anyone else's time or even clogging up web pages with your pigeon Englished dribble. Idiot!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:28 AM   #7
Your Mother
n/a flights since
Re: Re

Quote:
You take the short bus to school, don't you?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:48 AM   #8
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Don't you dare!!

Have you ever actually read the book?? Or does real English literature not get past the shores of America if its not written by a Yank? For your information, the story is set at the end of the 19th Century (admittidly before tooth paste but certainly when Britain was the main 'super power')... the story would'nt work in the US at that time! So why not keep the story as it is and you yanks go and write something origional rather than stealing old classics and turning them into a load of unbelievable corny cack!! (Obviously the story of Martians landing in Victoran England and trying to colonise the world is totally believable)...
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:06 AM   #9
Sleeper
Wing Commander
318 flights since Mar 2003

Don't watch the original WAR OF THE WORLDS and then follow it up with INDEPENDENCE DAY. Makes you think you're watching a little bit of a remake. Virus? That's the same method.
Sleeper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 04:04 AM   #10
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Spielberg has signed up Tom Cruise to co-direct and star in the new film, which will, supposedly, follow the book very closely.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:48 AM   #11
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Ok last I heard was that there are two versions in the works! the pendragon one that was going to be set in present time but since september 11th they are redoing the script to make it like the original!

And one more thing flying saucers are in the book! near the end when he goes back to london before the martians die they build flying machines as well as tripods! so there!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 03:26 PM   #12
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Original 1906 TWoW Artwork

Howdy:

I represent a collection of 31 of 32 original drawings (not reprints) chosen by H.G. Wells himself for publication in the 1906 L'Vandamme (Belgium) large format edition of The War of the Worlds. These were created by H. Alvim Corrêa, a Brazilian artist best known for military and erotic art. Some of these may be seen at:

http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/wotw1906.1.html

I tried contacting Dreamworks and C/W Productions to see if they'd be interested in using these pieces in the development of the new film. However, I was informed that this project is in the VERY preliminary stages and no production office is open yet. I'll try again in a couple of months...

As you can see, these images represent a much better reflection of Wells' vision than those used in 1897 edition.

Cheers!
Stefan A. Gefter
ASCGefter@aol.com
Old Apr 8, 2004, 03:32 PM   #13
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: Original 1906 TWoW Artwork

In case you are wondering, the original drawings on the link I provided that are credited to Sebo Fino Livraria Antiquária (Brazil) are the ones I represent.

Cheers!
Stefan

Quote:
Howdy:

I represent a collection of 31 of 32 original drawings (not reprints) chosen by H.G. Wells himself for publication in the 1906 L'Vandamme (Belgium) large format edition of The War of the Worlds. These were created by H. Alvim Corrêa, a Brazilian artist best known for military and erotic art. Some of these may be seen at:

http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/wotw1906.1.html

I tried contacting Dreamworks and C/W Productions to see if they'd be interested in using these pieces in the development of the new film. However, I was informed that this project is in the VERY preliminary stages and no production office is open yet. I'll try again in a couple of months...

As you can see, these images represent a much better reflection of Wells' vision than those used in 1897 edition.

Cheers!
Stefan A. Gefter
ASCGefter@aol.com
Old Apr 11, 2004, 07:53 PM   #14
Supreme_Martian_Overlord
n/a flights since

This place has become very quiet. Could it be everyone has moved over to the more active forums of www.waroftheworldsonline.com ? Yes indeed the Martians have a flying machine in the book, but it is still experimental by the end of the invasion. No-one has heard from the Pendragon Films project for some time (and they are not answering my or anybody elses emails). So they are either operating in total secrecy or the whole thing has decided to do a Great Auk impression.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:57 PM   #15
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Actually, I HAVE signed up at waroftheworldsonline.com. ;-)

I tried contacting Pendragon about the Corrêa collection too, but couldn't locate any phone numbers or e-mail addresses.

Hopefully Dreamworks will be interested. See you over at "wow"online.com!

Stefan

Quote:
Originally posted by Supreme_Martian_Overlord
This place has become very quiet. Could it be everyone has moved over to the more active forums of www.waroftheworldsonline.com ? Yes indeed the Martians have a flying machine in the book, but it is still experimental by the end of the invasion. No-one has heard from the Pendragon Films project for some time (and they are not answering my or anybody elses emails). So they are either operating in total secrecy or the whole thing has decided to do a Great Auk impression.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]