Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Mighty panorama of Earth-shaking fury as an army from Mars invades! | original guide

Old Dec 19, 2004, 04:12 AM   #1
MerrymakerEast
Apprentice
2 flights since Dec 2004
Smile Pendragon's H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds

Pendragon Pictures has already filmed an authentic adaptation of The War of the Worlds set in Victorian times in England. They are following the book ala Peter Jackson with LOTR, and are obviously sci-fi fan/artists who care about the story. I can't wait.

There are a few teaser trailers up too.

Yippee!
MerrymakerEast is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:42 AM   #2
lunadude
Starfighter
54 flights since Oct 2003
A for Effort

Pendragon's version showed that you could actually follow the book and make a film. It practally went paragraph to paragraph, it is all there.

I so wanted them to show how it should be done, all 1890s and such. Then all the talk about Paramount keeping the film from being released here in the states.

Man it hurt to see this version. They got the period down, but the effects and editing were total crap. The acting wasn't too bad, but the whole production was worse than an old Dr. Who* episode. It is just sad.

(*Don't missunderstand me, I love Dr. Who.)
lunadude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 06:38 AM   #3
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Pendragon's H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds

I'm still waiting to see how I can get a copy of this...
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:01 AM   #4
lunadude
Starfighter
54 flights since Oct 2003

Sam's Club had the DVD for about $8, Wallmart has them for $10.
lunadude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 09:48 AM   #5
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

It hits the shelves in England on the 18th going for 5.99

merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:00 AM   #6
Iwata
Autarch

Then I can only hope it'll come out here then as well, thought knowing these freaks as I do, I highly doubt it.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:25 AM   #7
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

How was this one orginally released? Was it a TV movie? Whatever it was, I think that I may go look for it.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:34 AM   #8
Iwata
Autarch

I think it was a simoultaneous cinema/DVD release, though if it ever did reach the cinema, it must've been a VERY limited release indeed.

The CGI looks crappy, but I prefer to see a good story with bad CGI than a bad story with a laser fest.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:36 AM   #9
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

That's true. I can usually tolerate bad CGI if I'm into the story.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 01:08 PM   #10
morthren
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Aug 2005

There's talk of a reedited version to take out some of the endless walking everyone had to endure! Now if they could just redo the horrible tripod animation...
morthren is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]