Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Mighty panorama of Earth-shaking fury as an army from Mars invades! | original guide

Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Amboy Road
Starfighter
149 flights since Nov 2004
Question WAR OF THE WORLDS- review thread/post your reviews

Lets start with mine>

Thumbs Up

It wasn't awesome or great,but OK. The 1953 adaptation was better. People keep calling WOTW 2005 a remake. Its not really. Its just another adaptation of HG Wells' novel. It was like a big screen episode of "The OUTER LIMITS",one of those invasion-Earth ones. WOTW only went off-topic enough,just as much as would folks in real life. Stayed on course though,beginning to end.

To me,this film is odd as its the first film I saw being filmed, back in the fall of '04. I never saw a piece of a film being filmed prior to seeing it in theatre or on a TV set before. I was standing with alot of others on the service road & this chopper was BLOWING overhead with a ball camera filming highway mayhem scenes.

Well. enough of my chit-chat & comments.

What did YOU think of WOTW 2005?

Hate it? Love it? Both? Neither? Other?
Amboy Road is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: WAR OF THE WORLDS- review thread/post your reviews

I'll be watching it tomorrow, but it is impossible for me to hate it anymore than I do that dreck of the 50's movie.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:09 AM   #3
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

I liked it, but I won't say why. Not right now, anyway.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:29 AM   #4
phantomstranger
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Jun 2005

Far better than I thought it would be. Great FX (no surprise there) a good story and young Dakota Fanning is great, even Tom Cruise (Whom I am not a fan of) did a fine job. I enjoyed it.
phantomstranger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:22 PM   #5
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

Out of 10, I'd give it 8.5.

What I liked most about the movie was it's realism, in a sence. Through out the entire movie, what did they do? Run, and try to survive. That's what it was about. The human race was completely at the hands of the aliens. And it was a simple but fatal mistake on behalf of the aliens that saved us. There was no hero or a mighty governmental force to destroy the invasion. Infact, spoiler warning the US Army is all but reduced to ruble, and then some. end spoiler warning I also loved how Spielburg portrayed the desperation of a panicing mob.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 01:04 PM   #6
morthren
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Aug 2005

2005 movie was good. The ships in the 1953 movie are the best, however, the tripods are disturbingly realistic and awe inspiring to be sure! The aliens themselves look like ID4 ripoffs... no where near as creepy as George Pal's Otto Lump Lump ones.
morthren is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 01:31 AM   #7
ti[splitter]me
Pilot
35 flights since Aug 2005

It felt like I was experiencing one of my childhood nightmares all over again, in a strangely more enjoyable way - You know the ones where the the "giant man eating machines" or tripods in this case know exactly where you are hiding no matter where you are - where events keep reseting themeselves as if to exhaust you with fear.
This movie had that presence.
Effects, lighting were great.
Desperate survivors driven to insanity was a lovely touch.
Was hoping for more of a conclusion to the movie though, and less of a profound insight into the purpose of life.

it was worth my hard earned dollars

ti[splitter]me is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:22 AM   #8
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
Thumbs down Two Thumbs Down!

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate this file a "3 " and thats being generous.

I could write for pages the reasons I don't like this film.
  • The people disintegrate, but NOT their Clothes
  • If the martians are destroying the cities why is everyone traveling to Boston?
  • If the martians are about to attack why is everyone trying to get ON the ferryboat?
  • Why does the boy return safe and unharmed at the end of the movie?
  • The house and street in Boston, at the End of the movie, look undamaged. Even the windows on the front door of the house are not even cracked. Maybe the martians accidently skipped this street.
  • There are NO battle scenes. Just scenes of troops moving toward the sound of battle and the sounds of battle in the distance.

For these and other reasons this verison of WOTW was very poor.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 01:29 AM   #9
ti[splitter]me
Pilot
35 flights since Aug 2005

Lol. So True.
Thats why it's more like a strange nightmare where everything you do is anything but logical.
It also kinda felt like spielberg was tryna pull off what M.Night shyamalan did in his approach to his movie "Signs."All that "just beyond" stuff.
Only he didn't.
ti[splitter]me is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 03:38 AM   #10
piss
Apprentice
2 flights since Oct 2005

yall foos dising war of the worlds that was relaes movie it was true story ever to happen you aint got nothing to say i hope yall shut **** up or else i kick the **** out you
piss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 04:54 PM   #11
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I thought Spielberg's film featured what Speilberg does best, wrench every emotional drop out of a decent story. The film was freakishly realistic in a way that would keep you up nights as a kid. The hopelessness of running but knowing you'll never really get away. The lunacy of trying to surive the unsurvivable, afraid to face the reality to no one is going to make it. And the relief when it all comes to an end.

The scene where all the clothes are raining down on Cruise and his daughter as the escape near the river was particuarly gripping. The entire storm sequence as the intensity built. There was great stuff here amidst a number of obvious plot holes (I too wondered why Boston got spared the brunt of the alien destruction and found it a little peculiar that the dead cars on the interstate stopped in just the right places to allow Cruise's character to drive away at full speed, or how the mini-van was the only thing to survive the plane crash or why it didn't get fried in the eletrical storm that brought down the plane...).

Did anyone get the feeling that the plot holes were intentional? There were so many inconsistincies I couldn't help but wonder if this was some intentional effort to create a b-movie nostalga thing. Just a thought.

I loved it, even though Tom Cruise irritates me in a large way.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:15 PM   #12
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Quote:
I thought Spielberg's film featured what Speilberg does best, wrench every emotional drop out of a decent story.
See that's the one problem I had with it, that it was supposed to do that (by every scene that was made, that seemed the point) but it failed for me. I just felt completely desensitised, in pretty much the same way I did with Minority Report. There was no depth, no connection. Maybe it's a Cruise thing?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:29 PM   #13
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

See that's the one problem I had with it, that it was supposed to do that (by every scene that was made, that seemed the point) but it failed for me. I just felt completely desensitised, in pretty much the same way I did with Minority Report. There was no depth, no connection. Maybe it's a Cruise thing?

Me too. I think it might also be a trailer thing because a lot of the "shocking" sequences in the first half of the film was in all the trailers...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:33 PM   #14
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Didn't really remember the trailer, but didn't find the film particularly 'shocking' either. Some of the initial tripod scenes were really well done, but beyond that eh.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 01:29 PM   #15
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith
Did anyone get the feeling that the plot holes were intentional? There were so many inconsistincies I couldn't help but wonder if this was some intentional effort to create a b-movie nostalga thing. Just a thought.

If so, I think they would/could have made it more obvious and less serious, like Mars Attacks...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]