Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Mighty panorama of Earth-shaking fury as an army from Mars invades! | original guide

Old May 7, 2002, 07:21 AM   #1
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Exclamation Dont Hold Your Breath

Pendragon Pictures dosent have the rights to do an original remake of the WOTW book, the rights are owned by Jeff Wayne (bought direct from the HG Wells estate). Since buying these rights he formed Thunderchild Studios, with the sole aim of bringing the original to screen.

From,
A man on the inside.
Old May 7, 2002, 08:09 AM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Dont Hold Your Breath

Good. I don't believe in remakes.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 03:06 AM   #3
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Paramont and Pendragon both have some sort of subsidiary rights to produce something still, as do a few others now it
seens. But the better question is "will they"?

Hollywood likes to make these big statements of a new film and then sounds of crickets.

Spiderman sat around for a decade or more in perpetual
limbo as did X Men, Lord of the Rings, and many other films that
were announced and then quietly sank back into the shadows.

As for Jeff Wayne all I can say is PLEASE GOD NO!
All we need is a musical of War of the Worlds to forever bury it in
the Hollywood "camp" area... ugh! I dont like his designs
and the idea of a musical makes me think of the big budget
musical Little Shop of horrors.

Lets hope Pendragon really does go back to the book and do it
right this time.

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 02:31 PM   #4
NitroTab
n/a flights since

First of all there was nothing wrong with Jeff Wayne's Musical Album, a brilliant piece of musical story telling (although it was probably more popular in the UK where it was written and produced as well as the original H.G Wells novel :-P rather than the US).

Secondly, Jeff Wayne didn't design the Martian Tripods you see on the album cover himself, proffesional artists were hired to draw and paint them.

And last but not least I doubt very much that if Jeff Wayne decided to make a WOTW movie that in this day and age he would make it a musical, as a musical in this day and age would more likely be a finicially risky gamble to take (specially with a science fiction story such as the WOTW).

He would more than likely produce something more to what were used to seeing on the big screen these days, and I doubt he would use the designs of the tripod machines from the album, he would probably use new ones as the old designs have a very 70's style feel to them, and again if he did (and thats a big IF) make a version of WOTW he would probably not use his original album score or remixes today as it would alienate (he he get it :-) alot of todays audience and younger generation that are not familiar with that type of 70's orchestral/rock type music.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]