Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Mighty panorama of Earth-shaking fury as an army from Mars invades! | original guide

Old Mar 17, 2000, 11:01 PM   #1
Johnny Bubbles
n/a flights since
Question Re: War of the Worlds tv show?

Does anyone remember the tv show of the War of the Worlds? I've been looking across the net for any information I can on it, but so far nothing. I remember it from the 80s (yay!), but don't remember almost any of the stories. Can any of you folk help me out? And if so, you should create a section on this site about it. I think it'd be pretty cool.

Laterz
Johnny Bubbles

--BotF
Old May 28, 2000, 05:00 AM   #2
Darren Must
n/a flights since
Brilliant film + why not review the series

Hi brilliant film seen the series it's set in the 80's 50 years since the invasion when the martians are brought back to life accidently what happens is a group of terrorists invade a top secret base only gaurded by a handful of soldiers. some kind of chemical gets released on to sum drums little they know that in these drums are the old martians from the invasion thousands of them the chemical re awakens them and the terrorists start to die then the martians posses the bodys of the terrorists and awaken more martians they set up a truck and then drive to an old cave and explain that the air made them hybernate but not kill them and also that they are not from mars but mortax and a secondary fleet of in vaders were due there in the next 10 years because the original fleet was 60 or so years in front they then start to invade bases with info from were the ships were buried .... etc

if you want to know more e-mail me [Darren_rider@hotmail.com]
Old Jul 4, 2000, 07:29 PM   #3
Randy
n/a flights since
Love the movie and TV series

I saw the movie when I was 8 and that was when I was in 2nd grade in 1988.

That same year in 1988 I started watching the TV series. The channel it was aired the series in my town was "WDKY FOX 56" on Saturdays at 6:00 pm. The first season episodes were the episodes that I liked so much.

The second season episodes however are just really bad. The second season totally messed up the story. I still like to pretend that the second season episodes do not exist. The only 2 second season episodes I liked are "the second wave" and "time to reap." the other second seasons episodes are absolutely painful to watch.

Common questions about the TV series

*Why did the TV series have gore in it was it for fun?
=Actually the reason why the writers put the gory scenes in the episodes was to shock people. Paramount had a difficult time finding networks that would air the show because of it's graphic nature. "FAX," "ABC," and "WSBK TV 38 Boston" were some of the channels that originally aired the show.
When Angland aired the show the British networks scissored out the gore in the episodes due to the fact that BBC in England has very strict rules on airing graphic violence on TV.

*What caused the show to get canceled?
=Tthe first season episodes got good ratings and plenty of viewers because the first season had good writers and directors.

=The second season episodes got very bad ratings and the show lost it viewers all because the second season had bad writers and bad directors. The second season did not even get completed, paramount decided to just give it up because the second season episodes just got worse each time.

*Would WOTW have not been canceled if the second season did not exist?
=I would have to say that is true. If the first season writers had wrote and directed the second season it would not have been canceled.

*Who did the prosthetic make up effects for the first season episodes?
=It was bill sturgeon that did the make up effects for the first season. Some of the films he did the makeup for are "American Werewolf in London," "Videodrome," and "the blob." the alien costumes were worn by actors and actress that ended having body casts made of them to make sure the costumes fit the actors wearing the costumes and methyl cellulose was applied onto the costumes to make it look slimy. Cable operated animatronics dummies were used for some of the scenes involving close up views of the aliens. Bill sturgeon wore one of the alien costumes in one of the episodes but I don't know which one. The actors playing the role of charters who were possessed by the aliens that had bacteria burns on their skin had latex outer pieces glued to their skin. In the 2hr pilot episode a alien possessie exploded, a dummy that was a cast of the actor playing that character was used for that effect and had explosive charges placed into it. The scenes involving bubbling remains of the dissolving alien possessie bodies were latex casts of the actors playing them, and some of the effects involved using gelatin casts with a heat camera placed in front of the fake parts to help the gelatin melt.
Old Jul 6, 2000, 05:08 PM   #4
Alex Calderon
n/a flights since
Re: War of the Worlds tv show?

Although it was 1953 when it was made, the effects were astounding for it's time. I think it was a well planned movie. Hey, uh, does anybody know where I can find the site of the series? I thought those were pretty good too, although the first season was the best.
Old Apr 12, 2001, 07:37 AM   #5
Abyssal Super J
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Apr 2001
Talking Re: War of the Worlds tv show?

Dear Alex,
I have to agree with you. The original War of the Worlds film was pretty good even if the effects are a bit dated. Starlog magazine heralded this film as a landmark in special effects for its era. I still get a big kick when the martians smash Los Angeles' city hall. I drove by there on many a jaunt up to some gothic music clubs in hollywood. Anyway, take it easy.

Peace Profound,

Abyssal Super J.
Abyssal Super J is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2001, 01:28 PM   #6
Unregistered
n/a flights since

yes it wwas two series the first series was the mothry were able to take over human bodies the 2 nd show was they were humanoid with bio wepons it was a good series sci fi channel showed re runs for awhile
Old Jul 3, 2001, 06:19 AM   #7
NitroTab
Pilot
40 flights since Jul 2001

Johnny Bubbles:go to http://www.war-of-the-worlds.org for info on this series.
NitroTab is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 04:05 AM   #8
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Oddly enough Paramont now flatly denies this series ever existed??? Whats up with that? Very odd behavior.

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 03:10 PM   #9
notgen93
Apprentice
2 flights since Jul 2003

i was born in 1988 so i won't remember anything but my dad wached it and he says that he's forgoten most of it but i found some sites with pics of the series but i forgot it to lol.

Paramount probably has a memory like me and my dad's lol
notgen93 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 06:22 PM   #10
lunadude
Starfighter
54 flights since Oct 2003
VCDs on ebay

I just got the entire series on 44 VCDs from ebay. It should be fun watching it again.
lunadude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 05:53 PM   #11
SATexanGuy
Apprentice
4 flights since Jul 2004
Smile War Of The World on DVD

you can get the entire series on 10 DVD on ebay.
SATexanGuy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 08:21 AM   #12
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Paramount dont know about it cos it was a Fox series.

Hope that might shed some light on it.

Ive been in touch with Fox about it today, hopefully they might be able to supply it, I got my fingers crossed.

First seen the film (1953 version) when I was about 8 and listened to the Jeff Waynes musical Version around the same time. Seen the series when it was on UK TV back in early 90.

(It was a Fox series according to The Complete War Of The Worlds sourcebook published in 2001 by Sourcebooks Inc.
)
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:05 PM   #13
SATexanGuy
Apprentice
4 flights since Jul 2004
Cool The of the war the series

You can find info & pictures about the series @ this site.
THE MOST COMPLETE & INFORMATIVE WAR OF THE WORLDS WEBSITE ON THE NET
SATexanGuy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:50 PM   #14
morthren
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Aug 2005

The complete War of the Worlds TV series is available on Ebay. It's an excellent 8 disk DVD set... Including all episodes from both seasons of the show.

Paramount will also be releasing a season 1 DVD collection in November.

However, what you didn't know is that there's another DVD on Ebay - War of the Worlds: A Video Scrapbook. It features a teaser and preproduction art for George Pal's '70's series... It never was picked up, but was set in the future and dealt with mankind's renewed battle with "Martians" in the vast reaches of deep space.

I've dedicated a webpage to WOTW... www.myspace.com/morthren
morthren is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]