Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Brazil (1985)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Brazil (1985)

We're all in it together. | guide

Old Dec 31, 2002, 04:28 PM   #1
n/a flights since
Rating explanation

We are considering renting Brazil. I've heard that it's a great movie, and the online reviews make me want to see it even more, but I haven't been able to find an explanation of the R rating. Is it due to constant swearing, or nude people always prancing in the background, or excessive, unavoidable violence? The range of movies given the R rating is huge, and we need to know whether the R-deserving content is extraneous, or necessary to understand the movie. If the R content is reserved to one scene, then we'll go straight ahead. It would be awful to miss a movie like this! An explanation of the rating would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 07:30 PM   #2
n/a flights since
Re: rating explanation

Brazil is not a movie with highly explicit content. When I saw it, I wondered why it got an R rating. It has swearing but only as much as a PG-13 movie. I figure it got an R rating for two separate very short parts of the movie. The first one involves a person being shot in the head. Only once, but it is pretty graphic still. I don't want to give too much of the movie away, but this part comes in the second half of the movie and you won't see it coming. The second part involves a deteriorated human body spilling out of a coffin. Both of these parts last only a couple of seconds long and both are in the second half of the movie. "Brazil" also has people being tortured as an interrogation method, but no torture is shown. So, basically it is rated R for violence, although it is nothing compared to Robocop or Terminator 2. It is also a somewhat dark movie, although not for the sake of being dark (think Batman). Even if you preview the movie and fast forward through the two violent parts, I would not show this movie to children. It is a weird movie and would probably give them nightmares. It's a good movie, anyways. -Stay Puft
Old Dec 31, 2002, 09:52 PM   #3
n/a flights since
Re: Rating explanation

Thank you so much! That is really helpful.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Brazil (1985)