Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ]

From "Scanners" to "X-Men: The Movie"...

Old May 19, 2009, 03:20 PM   #1
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005
V For Vendetta (2006).

Excellent adaptation of Alan Moore's brilliant 1984-influenced Graphic novel is probably the next "Brazil".
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002
Re: V For Vendetta (2006).

I enjoyed it, but it didn't grab me I have to say. Though in fairness I've never read the graphic novel, which I realise I probably should to get a better appreciation of the style and world created.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 09:00 AM   #3
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Go out and read it already, it's a rare thought provoking graphic novel that wil blow you away. Also read Moore's other thoughtful masterpiece "Watchmen".
Old May 20, 2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Watchmen I have read, and enjoyed, as I did the film. I shall now see how cheap I can find a copy of V for Vendetta. (I'm poor you see............................ well, poor and a skinflint)
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 07:34 PM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

It was a piss poor adaptation but an excellent prelude to the Wachowskis true masterpiece, Speed Racer.

They took Allan Moore's awesome comic about anarchy and fascism, chewed it up, shat it out, chewed on the **** some more, and finally spewed it onto celluloid.

To quote Moore- "it's been turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country."
This movie FAILED and the Wachowskis should EAT ****.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 05:52 PM   #6
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Oh Speed Racer was great and so was Matrix.

But i wonder if this movie compares to Blade Runner or Brazil?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 03:44 PM   #7
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Only in the way that human feces compares to fried chicken.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:09 AM   #8
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

V for Vendetta doesn't even come close to Brazil.

Did I find it entertaining? Sure. Did I like the film's attacks on American neoconservative policies that I personally disagree with? Sure. Did I enjoy the action scenes, V's badassery, and Natalie Portman's performance? Of course! But at the same time, it's literally 2 hours of in-your-face BUSH SUCKS BUSH SUCKS BUSH SUCKS HE'S GOING TO TURN OUR COUNTRY FASCIST BUSH SUCKS BUSH SUCKS BUSH SUCKS, and quite frankly, I have two major problems with it.
1) It implies that a mere change in leadership will suddenly make everything OK and made it look like EVERYONE just really, really wanted democracy and freedom and just needed an ‹bermensch to show them the way while ignoring every, single societal and cultural factor in existence. It is an excessively narrow and simplistic view of society and human beings in general and in the end, it comes off as, well, stupid.
2) I almost felt like the movie was insulting my intelligence. Subtlety, motherf-ckers, do you know it?
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ]