Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Wing Commander (1999)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Wing Commander (1999)

Gear up. Lock on. Strike back. | guide

Old Feb 18, 2002, 10:54 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Horrible, bad, awful movie

Could this film have been worse than Battlefield Earth? Did you think they could do any further damage to the natural laws of space (wings on space ships, sound in space, banking, rolling, gravity, etc...)? All this and Freddie Prince Junior......
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2002, 11:26 AM   #2
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

How many of these laws did the game actualy break? Surely the 'sound in space' can be excused while you are in the cockpit, but in the cinamatic sequences?

banking and rolling? I belive that these functions were mentioned in the controll manual. All in all this was a movie based on a game (poorly, but based on it nevertheless) so any complaints about 'reality' ought to be made to its developers, right?.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2002, 12:57 PM   #3
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Well, I'm a HUGE fan of the PC games, and so, I guess it's my turn to be te Devil's Advocate.
You see, the whole series, and the movie, are suposed to give a 40's look to space combat, sort of like the Pacific theater, when carriers chased each other.
Same goes for fighter combat, it's supposed to be WWII style, only in space.
But, it has to be said, the movie takes a whole new turn to the WC universe.
You see, Blair and Maniac HATE each other. Admiral Tolwyn was revealed a traitor and commite suicide. He too hated Blair, and vice-versa. Paladin is now Chairman of the Confederation. The Kilrathi have been defeated. The "TCS Tiger Claw" was lost, with all hands.
If they just stuck to the WC universe strictly, this could've been great.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2002, 09:14 AM   #4
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I just watched this an hour ago. It's not such a bad film. It could have been MUCH better, of course. But it wasn't the devil's spawn everyone makes it out to be. I'm at home sick, I need something to watch that won't hurt my headache - this suited fine. Well, ok, 'fine' is not a word i would describe the movie with. But neither is 'horrible'. Awful works for me

Yes, they should have sticked to the game. except I've never played the game. sounds like a great story, though. I got THIS close to playing the legendary Wing Commander on my Amiga 500. But i needed 2mb RAM, and I only had 1.5. Drat and double drat!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2002, 09:19 AM   #5
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

AH! Peasant!

I'm fortunate enough to own the whole series. The best is Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom, dealing with a civil war in the Confederation, but Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger is great. It's the end of the Fed/Kilrathi war. In both gams, you will deal with A LOT of plot twists, treasons, and so on. I STRONGLY advise you to get these games.

But Starlancer is the Top-Notch of space flight sims...
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2002, 08:15 PM   #6
DarkDragonNZ
Starfighter
69 flights since Feb 2002

THE MOVIE SUCKED!!!!!!!

When i heard there was gonna be a movie of my, at that time, favouite game series I WAS EXCITED!!!! Then I saw the cast. I mean, what kind of idiot puts Freddie Prinze no balls as Blair??? They needed to have all the characters from the game. Especially the Maniac from the games, Maniac is cool.

Another thing, how come they had Rapier class ships, from wing commander 1 (I think) and the skipper missile first shown about a quarter of the way through wing commander 3??? CHRIS ROBERTS WOULD BE HORRIFIED!!!!
DarkDragonNZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2002, 08:17 PM   #7
DarkDragonNZ
Starfighter
69 flights since Feb 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata
You see, Blair and Maniac HATE each other.

I always thought they had a kind of friendly rivalry. But I may be wrong
DarkDragonNZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2002, 06:34 AM   #8
Kaylyn
Recruit Pilot
15 flights since Apr 2002

Definately agree on you all about Freddy Prince, he's really not as wonderful as people make him out to be....
And he just isn't tough enough to play the part convincingly....
Kaylyn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2002, 05:15 PM   #9
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Thumbs down Re: Horrible, bad, awful movie

As a fan of the Wing Commander series of games, I was pretty annoyed by the movie that is based on them. It seems that the writers decided not to deal with the game's plot, designs, or characters at all. The story was ludicrous and adding in the Pilgrim subplot for racial tension was cheap. The hunt for the Sivar dreadnaught or the Firekka campaign would have made much better stories. Finally what is with Blair and Marshall liking one another. come on.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 01:41 AM   #10
w@velength
Pilot
46 flights since May 2002

I was very eager to try the original Wing Commander when I borrowed my friend's Classic Games CD. Man, I thought it was stupid. When I finally got past the first cutscene crashing the game, I was horrified by the awful, ugly gameplay. First of all, outer space didn't look like outer space, I was dizzy and sick, didn't know where I was or which way was up. There was like crap or something flying by the windshield. And the actually windshield takes up like a small quarter of the screen. Discusting. How am I supposed to play when the actually game screen is the size of a quarter, and everything else is just inside my cockpit? Stupid. I have played sooo many space flight sims WAY WAY better than this.
w@velength is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 11:59 AM   #11
Lieutenant Johnny Rico
n/a flights since
Dissapointing

This movie is horrible and appaling. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The acting was horrible and the dialogue was horrible and dull. Freddie Prinze Jr. is one of the worst actor I have ever seen. This movie isn't even worth watching for free!!
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:42 AM   #12
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002
Post Re: Horrible, bad, awful movie

I was very disappointed by Wing Commander. It is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. It is horrible and boring. The acting was awful. Freddie Prinze Jr. is a terrible actor. The only redeeming features in this movie were the battles.

3/10 (If it weren't for the battles, I would have given it a 1/10.)

Last edited by Lt_Johnny_Rico : Jun 30, 2003 at 07:29 AM.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 06:01 AM   #13
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Lets add to this the fact that the Kilrathi look like shaved rats
almost and are barely seen at all. (Which is in the end a good thing)

Then there is the whole shove the downed fighter over the side without even going out to try and see if anyone is alive???
This was such an off handed eeath that it killed any potential drama a more meaningfull death scene might have had... ugh!

The ships look clunky and the space battles are not enough and
too simple to warrant saving this.

It had alot of potential. This is one more example of Hollywood buying a book, or game and using JUST the name and little else
if they think they can get away with it...

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:17 PM   #14
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Ok first of all Im a wingcommander fan, but thought it sucked, but not as much as somebody puts it...
Let me first make sth clear, complaints about sounds in space, what f***ing scifi doesnt have sound in space...they all do, some of these complaints have naturally come from starwars fans, but starwars dont have sounds in space? Engine, blasters and all...
As I stated before, it could have been much better, and as Iwata stated, it was going after the 40s look, theres the problem.
Now if they followed the WC technology tree, and some of the main plot, and of course, wait for a oppertunity to get bigger budget , theres no way this movie it would sucked, and yea, Freddie Prinze Jr with his nonexpression make it go down a little more....
Overall, its an ok movie, better than most crap that are put on today, and yea , if they did sth like the games, for example WC4 then it would def. rock.
Besides the kilrathi, one thing I really didnt like, the Rapiers were supposed to be the state of the art, now they really look like state of the junk. The Landingbay was way too small, it looked it couldnt fit more than 6 fighters or so....... and both sides using torpedoes?????
But, look at this way, a 23 million dollar (low budget ) sci fi that tries to break free the Starwars universe....
Old Jan 6, 2004, 07:37 PM   #15
Grim
n/a flights since

I started at wing commander privater. What a game! Yes the graphics were poor, and the ships were sprites and not models, but the play was wicked. Then found Armada, again a good game but with models this time. Not as good as privateer, but still ok. Wing commander 3 was next. My sister got it me for birthday, and i was on it 24/7. thats when i was hooked on wing commander. Next was WC4, that game was just immence, shame we couldnt use ships like the Excalibur and the Thunderbolt (not without an editor program). Prophecy went in the other direction. The graphics were excelent, the gameplay wasnt as good. And BOOOOOOOOO, i loved fighting capships with my guns. But alas, couldnt penetrate the shields without a plasma gun

Now, on to the movie. What a disappointment.

Blair+Marshall friends? i think not
Deveraux was English instead of French!! pfff
Paladin was French instead of Scottish!!! terible
The concordia looked nothing like the concordia
They spelled Admiral Tolwyn as Admiral Towlyn! (Bring back Malcom McDowell)
Kilrathi looked like shaved rats as said before and they didnt speak english.
The Tiger Claw should be The Tiger's Claw
Feddie is a clown, but Mark Hamill (pardon me for saying this Mark) Isnt young enough for the role. (sif he gonna read this)
Lowering shields to fire torps?
Fighters went down as if affected by gravity after leaving the edge of the flight deck
Fighters didnt have shields, though the fightscenes would probably be too slow.

The only real good thing was the fight scenes.

and whats with the pansy jump scenes?

All in all, the film should be re-made to fit in with the game
fit the story lines

3/10 as said before, the 2 came from the fight scenes

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Wing Commander (1999)