Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Plutzker
Starfighter
56 flights since Oct 2005
Manticore

In modern Iraq, a man of Persian ancestry attacks U.S. soldiers with an ancient "weapon of mass destruction" the half-lion, half-dragon monster known as the Manticore. Robert Beltran (Star Trek: Voyager), Heather Donahue (Taken), and Chase Masterson (Terminal Invasion) star.

Last edited by Plutzker : Dec 30, 2005 at 11:12 AM.
Plutzker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 04:40 AM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Lost Voyage

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

You ARE joking, right?
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Erm...nope. Trailer - and no I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet It's a sci-fi channel/ufo production. Think it's tv movie and apparently it rips off Alien.

Manticore...wasn't that the Dark Angel version of the Initiative?

Hmm the film looks a bit different to myth though (Seraph's personal nomination for worst cgi ever):

Quote:
Physically, the manticore was know as having the body of a red lion, the face and ears of a blue eyes human and a tail ending in a sting like that of a scorpion. The mouth contains three rows of teeth and poisoned spines along the tail could be shot, like arrows in any direction. The manticore was also attributed with having a voice that was the mixture of pipes and a trumpet. The beast is very swift and makes very powerful leaps. The manticore is reputed to roam in the jungles of India, and is known to have an appetite for humans. Like its cousin, the Sphinx, it would often challenge its prey with riddles before killing.
Originated in Persia and still considered a bad omen in 1930s Spain.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

That's really ... really ... bad.Looks like something from a cheap computer game.

Story sounds rubbish too. TV-movie, you say? Thank God, I'll probably never get the chance to see it
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
That's really ... really ... bad.Looks like something from a cheap computer game.

Story sounds rubbish too. TV-movie, you say? Thank God, I'll probably never get the chance to see it

I actually saw it. Really Alien/Aliens derivative with horrible plot and some of the worst CGI ever. I WANT TWO HOURS OF MY LIFE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, forget it. I'd just waste them anyway.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 08:51 PM   #6
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Manticore...wasn't that the Dark Angel version of the Initiative?

Originated in Persia and still considered a bad omen in 1930s Spain.

Was Manticore the government department or the kids themselves?

That picture is sort of creepy...

I actually kind of like the premise. I'm a sucker for vaguely biblical/ middle eastern type monsters. Poor old Heather Donahue. Doomed to bad tv miniseries.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Seraph

Love mythology and archaelogy (which I apparently can no longer spell) type tomb raidery type stuff, but this just has bad written all over it in - in the same way AvP did, but worse.

From what I remember, Manticore was the 'company'/subversive black cloak (un)government agency, the kids were designated numbers and called something else.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:55 PM   #8
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I do love that stuff, but honestly, I can't remember the last decent one. Maybe it's the terrible fear of poking the religious beehive. Constantine was the closest thing, I suppose... Seriously, Book of Revelations? There's some good stuff in there. Four Horsemen? That'd be a cool ass movie.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:59 PM   #9
Seraph

Stigmata hit on religious myth(?) & there was that TV series a few months ago with the Nun and Bill Paxton who lost one of his kids to a demon cult.

Religion being explored tends to head straight for horror come to think of it.

Myths in general, unless you do it historically ('in story') are very difficult to do without oozing bad cheese all over the place.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:13 PM   #10
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Stigmata is Catholic legend rather than old biblical myth, and that thing with the nun and Bill Paxton was just... so.. bad... it would never even have occurred to me. The Jesus/ Devil ground has all been covered, so I guess just want me a good old monster. I want an Angel with four faces, or Lilith, or something. I'm not looking forward to the sudden interest in... er... "Symbology"... once the DaVinci Code movie is out.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:03 PM   #11
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I'm watching this now.

It is unsurprisingly terrible.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 03:20 AM   #12
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill_valentine
I'm watching this now.

It is unsurprisingly terrible.
I know this is an old thread, but were you able to watch the entire thing? I know I wasn't. Changed channels a bunch of times and then came back for the ridiculously dumb conclusion.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 04:46 PM   #13
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_Johnny_Rico
I know this is an old thread, but were you able to watch the entire thing? I know I wasn't. Changed channels a bunch of times and then came back for the ridiculously dumb conclusion.

Ha!

Yeah, I have to say ditto. It wasn't even entertainingly terrible.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies