Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:43 PM   #31
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Watchmen

I saw the trailer tonight before The Dark Knight and i didn't feel all that compelled to go see it. My friend just picked up the graphic novel so once hes done with it im going to have a crack at it. We'll see if it changes my first thoughts.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:38 AM   #32
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

It's a really great graphic novel. A lot more intelligent and mature than most comics.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:00 PM   #33
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

It's a dreadfully embarassing trailer for anyone who wishes for a faithful adaptation, but since I recently read up that 'Tales of the Black Freighter' and 'Under the Hood' won't be in the movie, I expected this. I imagine more would be taken out - if they can't pull off something as simple as a metanarrative, how will they pull off the moments which rely on the multiple instances of imagery in chapters like 'Fearful Symmetry', in which it's essential to look at all the panels at once? As I read more news on this, it's looking more and more like Snyder is only adaptating the superficial story and leaving the formal, if not thematic, depth behind which made the graphic novel so interesting in the first place.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:05 PM   #34
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
It's a dreadfully embarassing trailer for anyone who wishes for a faithful adaptation

I thought the exact opposite. It's not often that you see a trailer for a comic book movie where you know what each and every brief clip is about, taken straight out of the comic.

Add to that that Snyder got it spot-on with "300" by doing what he's doing here (using the graphic novel as a storyboard), and I have every reason to be excited about faithfulness to the source material.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:23 AM   #35
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
It's a dreadfully embarassing trailer for anyone who wishes for a faithful adaptation, but since I recently read up that 'Tales of the Black Freighter' and 'Under the Hood' won't be in the movie, I expected this. I imagine more would be taken out - if they can't pull off something as simple as a metanarrative, how will they pull off the moments which rely on the multiple instances of imagery in chapters like 'Fearful Symmetry', in which it's essential to look at all the panels at once? As I read more news on this, it's looking more and more like Snyder is only adaptating the superficial story and leaving the formal, if not thematic, depth behind which made the graphic novel so interesting in the first place.

Not sure how you justify that. After stating earlier in this thread that I thought Watchmen was boring I went out an repurchased a copy of the graphic novel and read it in one sitting. It was extremely dark and moody and I felt the trailer captured the tone perfectly. On top of that, the trailer has at least five almost iconic cells from the graphic novel in it that are damn near spot on - the scene where Edward Blake (The Comedian) is being tossed out of the window of his apartment (perfect) - the scene where Dr. Osterman becomes Dr. Manhattan (even more perfect) - the scenes of The Comedian standing on Nite Owl's ship in front of the mob (perfect). The scenes of The Comedian and Dr. Manhattan in Vietnam were spot on as well. In fact, the only thing I specifically saw that was changed was the omission of Dr. Manhattan's blue genitals in the infamous scene where he emerges in the laboratory.

All in all, I think the trailer did a great of job of assuring fans that the films was going to remain faithful to the novel. Considering the complete butchery of Alan Moore's work in previous films (anyone recall The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?), I think Zack Snyder is trying to make a point.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:07 PM   #36
Iwata
Autarch

And Moore's opinion be damned.

The guy's an *******, anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:17 PM   #37
Iwata
Autarch

I can't stop watching this trailer... that hasn't happened since, ironicaly, "300". The more I watch it, the more I can predict this movie will gain a special place in my heart, a place only for the likes of "Sin City" and "300".

I've gotta dig up my old copy of "Watchmen", I'm getting the urge to read it one more time (even though I know every pannel by heart ).

Ah, and just because I haven't said it yet: thank Hell Terry Gilliam is NOT directing this. I may very well be the one person on the planet who thinks his movies are either incredibly dull, or child-like, or both. I don't think he's made a single movie that I can say is even remotely bearable, and I would've looked at his innevitably-freakish view of "Watchmen" as nothing but a lost opportunity. As it is, Snyder proved himself capable of doing faithful adaptations of celebrated work before, and it seems he's keeping it up.

However... will he keep the original ending..?

Last edited by Iwata : Jul 22, 2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:13 AM   #38
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

comic-con interviews/vids for those who care: http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=...1-4a6d4315b7cf

by the by: Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a plus to anything he touches.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:46 AM   #39
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Snyder's got a good visual eye, but nothing about any of his movies has ever suggested him capable of the kind of canniness something like Watchmen demands. This trailer bored the pants off me. The effects and everything are nice, but there's no... I dunno, flair? Just looks really pedestrian.

I was really looking forward to this, and now, I'm not. I'm a sad panda.

Last edited by jill_valentine : Jul 31, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:19 AM   #40
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

It looks like Watchmen, but it feels nothing like it.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:27 AM   #41
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Yes - hit the nail on the head.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:37 AM   #42
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

I'm on the Woo train.

But really, there's far too much revelling in action, sexy people and glossy shininess. It feels less like Watchmen and more like...well...300, really.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:40 AM   #43
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
It feels less like Watchmen and more like...well...300, really.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Granted, they're very different graphic novels (miiiiiiiiles apart) but they're both pretty damn good, and neither one is easily translated to cinema. However, considering Snyder did an awersome job with "300" and that the "Watchmen" trailer is pretty orgasmic, I'm still very much excited.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:56 AM   #44
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Ah please, 300 was born to be adapted.

Miller's far more about the visuals, and his stories are far more straight forward. 300 or Sin City or whatever, they don't stand to lose anything in the translation, but I don't think anybody ever really thought The Black Freighter would make it into Watchmen any more than they thought the Vicious Cabaret sequence would make it into V For Vendetta. Moore's stories exploit and depend on the tricks and gimmicks that medium alone offers, and Watchmen more than any.

Watchmen's best-case-scenario is that it doesn't lose too much.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:44 AM   #45
Iwata
Autarch

Alan Moore's complexity lies in the story. Miller's, in imagery. Both are very hard to put in movie format, given that neither one follows traditional story-telling or visual rules.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies