Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old Mar 10, 2009, 02:51 PM   #76
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002
Re: Watchmen

Well -- I have to say, I think it was on a par with The Dark Knight. I really really enjoyed it and I didn't expect to in the least. I watched it completely on a whim with nothing else to do and it really blew me away. Visually, very compelling.
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:49 PM   #77
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Quote:
as well as update it to modern times.

Are you insane?

Also, Rocharch's comeback is in the graphic novel. Finally, Snyder had to trim the movie down at the studio's demand, so obviously some stuff was left out, but there's a 3+ hour version coming out on DVD in a few months.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:30 PM   #78
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

Can't wait for the extended Blu-Ray which should kick all kinds of ace that could make the movie better. I loved this movie, a wonderful adaptation of the greatest graphic novel ever! i loved the visuals, the violence, good acting and great storyline to it.

It's perhaps the next "Matrix".
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:13 AM   #79
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Well I thought the movie was great, I'd read the novel, and I understood there were always going to be differences, but none so jarring that it made me feel either disappointed, or so completely different from the novel that it was a poorly ripped off piece of work. I went with my girlfriend who had never read the novel and knew almost next to nothing other than what your average movie-goer would. She loved it too. On a purely visceral level it was truly satisfying, as for Snyder's fetishistic attitude towards sex and violence, that didn't really come across to me. Ok ther's a lot of violence and PVC flying about all over the place, but come on........ they're Superheroes..... there's always PVC. In some ways it almost felt like a pay-off for me after all those years of seeing Michelle Pfeifer in that catsuit and never getting to see her get out of it!

As for the violence, I didn't think it was anything new particularly, don't get me wrong, I thought the choreography was superb, but violence is violence.

All in all, a very good movie, considering how it could've gone.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:37 AM   #80
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

The opening credit sequence almost made me shed a few tears. It was... so beautiful. The rest of it was okey. I have several major issues with it, but (Snyder's signature cheesy slo-mo aside of course) I could hardly expect a much better adaptation of a basically unfilmable comic.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:58 AM   #81
katesisco
Recruit Pilot
12 flights since Mar 2010

Well, there is an obit in the NYT today about an author who did acerbic stories, one of which is the watchmen. I did not read this but saw the Watchman movie which is not much. If you really wanted to see a good one for why super heroes retire, I admit I loved the Incredibles.
katesisco is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:50 PM   #82
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Watchmen isn't really about "why superheros retire." It's about why the superhero mindset is absurd, unethical, unnecessary and untenable. The film did however manage to entirely miss the most important points of the comic, so I could see how one could come away from it with that impression.

You really should read some of Alan Moore's comics. The man is one of the great English language writers alive today. Watchmen (the comic) is ****ing brilliant- it examines the very problematic concept of the superhero in a way that is unsurpassed, and it was one of the first works to question some of the basic tropes and premises of the genre. It wasn't the first comic to handle real-world themes (Green Arrow's sidekick Speedy was a junkie in a 1971 story arc, for example) but it was the first great total deconstruction of the superhero archetype. Though watching that ****ty movie might have somewhat ruined the comic for you, it's still well worth reading. It's generally a good idea to read the source material before going to see an adaptation. Especially when the source material is an easily available comic book that you could easily finish in one day.

Most comics since the 80's can be seen as a direct (though albeit largely inept and muddled) response to Moore's early work. I loved The Incredibles too. But you really can't compare something (entertaining as it may be) as simplistic, and if you get right down to it cheerfully and uncritically (though probably unconsciously) elitist, authoritarian and eugenicist as The Incredibles to Watchmen.

Moore is alive and well by the way. So I am confused as to how you could have read his obituary.

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Mar 3, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:13 AM   #83
pattypatty2010
Apprentice
3 flights since Mar 2010

I really wanted to see this film at the theater, but I just couldn't make it happen. I guess it was for the best because I was able to see the "director's cut" on DVD with additional scenes. I usually prefer director's cuts anyway.
pattypatty2010 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies