Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > First Contact

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

First Contact

Welcome to the SQUAD! New pilots, introduce yourself here; veterans will greet you warmly.

Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:11 PM   #1
TheOpusFuller
Recruit Pilot
10 flights since Feb 2010
Capsule

Hello there,

Just wanted to introduce myself before jumping into all the threads/discussions.

My name is Matthew but I also go by "The Opus Fuller" on the internet. I'm an independent filmmaker and I am a huge fan of science fiction movies. Love all those old vintage sci-fi films. My next film is actually sci-fi!

I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum and I think it will be loads of fun to dive into conversation.

Best!
TheOpusFuller is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: Capsule

Welcome to the Sciflicks Forums, it'll be nice to have some fresh blood and perspective around here
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

here here, welcome indeed
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:58 AM   #4
TheOpusFuller
Recruit Pilot

Thanks a lot ladies and gents..... Now lets get these forums active like never before!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:05 AM   #5
TheOpusFuller
Recruit Pilot

Also wanted to mention. Please check out my other thread about the science fiction film that I am making. I would really love die hard science fiction fans opinions... I want to know what makes a science fiction fan enjoyable to you. What would you want to see. etc...

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:46 AM   #6
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Welcome! I see that you're from New York City. If you need any extras or anything, I'm a Brooklyn boy myself
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Welcome to the community.

Please don't run.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:07 PM   #8
TheOpusFuller
Recruit Pilot

Definitely. I will reach out and ping you once I get situated with pre-production...

Are you familiar with any futuristic looking architecture around the city? I'm new to the city. Just moved here about 5 1/2 months ago with my girlfriend. Was living in Pittsburgh, PA. Dropped everything and decided to move to NYC to pursuit my filmmaking dream. Which is what I'm in the process of doing.

But I'm looking for futuristic looking architecture. I think I found a museum of Earth and Space that I am going to check out. There might be some awesome scenery/settings there. I'm looking for a lot of WHITE settings. White corridors. White rooms.

Example...
http://tinyurl.com/yzgkbad

If you don't know of any... no biggie... haha. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks for offering a hand in being an extra though. Appreciate it!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:45 PM   #9
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Welcome to our small group.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Welcome, please don't mind the spam.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:57 PM   #11
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Furnished interiors like that are going to be tough. Real people don't have apartments that look like that- you're going to have to find someone with money. You know the drill though
Put up an ad on craigslist offering a "special thanks" in the movie and lunch to the lucky schmuck who lets you use their fancy-pants apartment. You know- run the thing up a flagpole and see who salutes.

But I'd recommend just getting a couple of cheap minimalist chairs from Ikea (there's one in the Redhook section of Brooklyn now- since you're new in town you could probably use some furniture anyway, so a visit might be in order one way or the other) and finding an empty newly painted apartment. Maybe get a white rug (better yet a roll of white paper or something) to cover the floor.

If you have a budget of some sort, you could even rent a little artist's studio for the duration of your shoot. In the contingency that you do have a budget, I also know a trained make up artist who specializes in SF and Horror work who might want to work for you.

There are some hideous newly built condos with glass-and-metal exteriors around that might be good for your establishing shots. Basically the only buildings that you'll find that fit the bill are either museums and condos. And the former are generally too recognizable to work as SF backdrops. If you don't mind that though, there's the hideous glass-and-chrome front that they put on the Brooklyn Museum:

Then there's the Guggenheim:

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Feb 11, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:43 PM   #12
TheOpusFuller
Recruit Pilot

Everyone, again... thanks for the welcomes!

SF - thanks for the tips. That second picture would work wonders for me as an establishing shot.... Do you know of any other museums in or around the cities? Well... nevermind. I can stop being lazy and use google search instead of asking. haha.

Again, thanks a lot for the tips on those places. Definitely will come in hand!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:03 AM   #13
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Also there's The New Museum

If only it wasn't surrounded by sane looking buildings...
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:37 PM   #14
TheOpusFuller
Recruit Pilot

That building looks amazing... They really need to paint those other dinky buildings. haha.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:06 PM   #15
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

welcome aboard TOF - enjoy!
mack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > First Contact