Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old May 9, 2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Alien 'Prequels'

Ok, I knew that Ridley Scott was planning on doing an Alien prequel, but now we have this tidbit of info. And I'm not sure I'm liking it.

Quote:
Ridley Scott to Make Two 'Alien' Prequels

If the last few movies in the "Alien" franchise left a bad taste in your mouth, then the original film's director hopes to salvage things. He even challenged James Cameron, who made the equally excellent "Aliens," by saying he hopes to trump "Avatar" with two 3D "Alien" prequels.

Scott spoke to MTV News recently and said the first prequel will take place several decades before Ripley first encountered the acid-bleeding villains.

In that same interview, he took a stab at some of the lesser sequels, namely how "Alien vs. Predator" took the shock value out of the alien creatures.

What will the prequels be about if we don't have Sigourney Weaver kicking Xenomorph ass? Scott elaborated about the plot to Screen Daily:

The film will be really tough, really nasty. It’s the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would actually go in and clean up a planet?

Hmm… that's an interesting thought. What would you think if the prequels revealed the aliens were somehow man made?

LAST UPDATE BY AMY.COTTRELL AT 5/4/2010 9:22:12 PM
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 07:31 AM   #2
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005
Re: Alien 'Prequels'

Sounds good man! if only one man can revive the Alien series, it's Scott.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Amboy Road
Starfighter
149 flights since Nov 2004
Thumbs down Re: Alien 'Prequels'

I don't like the sound of these alien prequels at all.

I personally hate the idea of the ALIENS being something made in a lab. Its a copout & lazy thinking in my opinion.

I much prefer the ALIENS be a naturally occurring organism from an undiscovered world.

Scott's a good director. He should channel his creative juices into something new & fresh.

The ALIEN series was fine until the disappointing alien 3. Then there was the atrocious alien: rez & those fecal avps.

Ridley, please don't do it.
Amboy Road is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 09:42 AM   #4
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

Well Predators will ignore AVP movies and be the true Predator 3 where part 2 left off.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Amboy Road
Starfighter
149 flights since Nov 2004
Thumbs up Re: Alien 'Prequels'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJohn
Well Predators will ignore AVP movies and be the true Predator 3 where part 2 left off.

That's good to hear.
Amboy Road is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

DJ, I've told you before, Predators isn't ignoring the AVP films in any way, considering the new film isn't even set on our planet. I personally saw nothing wrong with the AVP movies. They didn't claim to be anything more than popcorn flicks, and they did that just fine. You can't compare them to their parents on those grounds.

I will however say they should have used the original Dark Horse AVP comic from the early 90's as the script.
Old May 11, 2010, 02:08 PM   #7
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Wait- did any of the other Predator films claim to be anything more than popcorn flicks? Am I missing something here?
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Once again I think it all depends on what you want to take from the films. Comparing most of these movies is actually quite a difficult thing to do, I have my favourites but certainly in regards to Alien, Aliens and Alien 3, I honestly don't think it's fair to compare them. As for Ressurection and the AvP movies, well simply put, Joss Whedon was the wrong guy much as I like his work and the AvP movies are indeed just popcorn bull****. Dissapointing popcorn bull**** because at least with most reboots or remakes or any of that stuff, even if the story is atrocious, with modern technology they can usually out-do the previous movies with gigantic setpieces, however they fail to do even that!

Personally I'm looking forward with great antici..........pation to Scott's prequels. He's nothing like Lucas so there's that at least. As for whether the aliens were bio-engineered, there's been speculation about that ever since the first movie came out in '79, so I think it'll probably be more complicated. My prediction however is that when they finally come out, I will love them and the press and a great many Ebert/Kermode wannabes will hate them. That's just my prediction.

As for Predators.... couldn't give a ****, as SF said, always been a popcorn movie and shouldn't ever try to be anything else. Rodriguez, Laurence Fatburn and a PREDATOR DOG!!! Fun for all the family.

Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
Wait- did any of the other Predator films claim to be anything more than popcorn flicks? Am I missing something here?

No no, not missing anything, just pointing out either way you look at it, they weren't supposed to by epics like Ben-Hur LOL
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Latest news on the Alien prequels:

Quote:
Rapace Favourite For "Alien" Prequels
email to a friend
By Garth Franklin Thursday October 7th 2010 09:32PM
Noomi Rapace, the star of the Swedish "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" films, is apparently Ridley Scott's favourite to star as the female lead in his upcoming "Alien" prequels at 20th Century Fox reports Deadline.

Rapace has apparently had more than one meeting with Scott, and has left a very strong impression on the director. Carey Mulligan and Gemma Arterton have also met with the director.

Noomi Rapace recently signed to play a gypsy in "Sherlock Holmes 2", and with the "Alien" films currently on hold there's likely no issue of scheduling conflicts. However has still yet to be made.

At last report, the films are hitting a roadblock as Scott is seeking a $250 million budget and hard-R rating, whereas Fox wants a cheaper PG-13 project.

Even with the great Scott running this show, I'm not sure a prequel is warranted. And FOX wanting a PG-13 project? For Alien? That company really is run by fools. All the original Alien films were rated 'R'. Granted, the last two sucked, and a PG-13 rating wouldn't have helped them LOL

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies