Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

View Poll Results: Which Presidential Candidate do you support?
John Edwards 2 5.71%
John Kerry 11 31.43%
Howard Dean 2 5.71%
Dennis Kucinich 2 5.71%
Al Sharpton 2 5.71%
George Bush 13 37.14%
My Candidate Dropped Out (Gephardt, Lieberman, Mosley Braun, or Graham) 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 30, 2004, 06:21 PM   #91
Cricket
n/a flights since
Whoever...

Whoever the man is that fights so that my sisters and I do not have to wear the veil. I am tired already, working on the farm. I want to believe it is not for nothing. Morning work, school, activity, church, then more work at home. I am so tired.

If he fights so that I will not be beat because I am a girl, than I like him.

So far, that is, I believe, Tony Blair. He is so handsome, intelligent, and the family man, like my father. Hmmm....he is not the choice I see. Then what man is Prime Minister Blair's friend and fights with him. Whoever is his friend, then I would vote for him if I could vote.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 01:29 AM   #92
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
Angry Anybody but BUSH

Anyone but BUSH!!!

G. W. Bush is the WORST President in decades, possibly the Worst of all time.
  • He started an unnecessary war.
  • He has created the largest federal deficit in history.
  • He has No Plan for solving the problems in Iraq.
  • He has mislead and lied to the American people to support His War.

America desperately needs a new President.
The current President is one of the Worst things to happen to the United States in decades, maybe even longer.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 01:40 AM   #93
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Re: What Presidential Candidate do you support?

And the list goes on:
  • He stole Florida votes.
  • He is connected to Enron.
  • His VP was connected to Halliburton.
  • 9/11 Happened shortly after he came into office. Impeccable timing, dont you think? Just perfect to justify his spending of the federal surplus on military defense items.
  • The tentative peace negotiation process b/t Israel-Palestine fell apart after he came into office. (can we blame him for that? I have an urge to.)
  • The economy crashed when he came into office.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 01:59 AM   #94
thebrokenstatue
Recruit Pilot
9 flights since Jul 2004

Well, I don't think that Bush had anything to do with the planning of the attacks on 9/11, if that's what your saying, mack. I do think he had prior knowledge of it, and chose not to do anything about it, though. I mean, when the attacks started, he was in Florida, safely tucked away, maybe knowing of the possible attack on the White House.

Also, I do think that Kerry may turn this country around, but I was in full support of Rev. Al Sharpton. Stop laughing, I'm serious. I liked the ideas he presented in the Democratic debates, and I knew he'd be a longshot, but I do think he had some good ideas. I'm also in favor of John McCain. That is strange 'cause I do consider myself a democrat, but I think he does have a better idea of what's going on in this country than Bush. Hell, he was among the few Rupublicans who voted against that ridiculous amendment denying gays the right to marraige, which Bush was a HUge backer of.

To paraphrase Michael Moore, "Shame on you Mr. President."
thebrokenstatue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 02:23 AM   #95
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by thebrokenstatue
Well, I don't think that Bush had anything to do with the planning of the attacks on 9/11, if that's what your saying, mack. I do think he had prior knowledge of it, and chose not to do anything about it, though.

Yes, I suppose I did toss that around lightly. *weary sigh* I find myself more and more dubious about what that man will do in order to further his own purposes. The accusation is unfounded, though. *dubious look on face*

Quote:
I also in favor of John McCain. That is strange 'cause I do consider myself a democrat

I also find that I have this strange sense of un-Democratic nuetrality towards McCain. I dont find him odious, and sometimes I actually like him. Its completely unexplainable and makes no sense to me, as its not based upon any political leanings or any facts, for that matter! I think perhaps that I just respect him. Weird.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 02:58 AM   #96
thebrokenstatue
Recruit Pilot
9 flights since Jul 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
And the list goes on:
  • 9/11 Happened shortly after he came into office. Impeccable timing, dont you think? Just perfect to justify his spending of the federal surplus on military defense items.

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood this
Old Aug 1, 2004, 03:07 AM   #97
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by thebrokenstatue
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood this

Oh no, no.. You understood. That's why I said I did toss the accusation around a little lightly. It is a leap to say that he planned it, but that was what I was insinuating... You were spot on.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:48 PM   #98
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
New Bush policy may lose him Florida

G. W. Bush has started a new policy against Cuba that could cost him the election in Florida. These new travel restrictions to Cuba will anger the large Cuban-American population in southern Florida. This could cost Bush the election in Florida.

Bush's Get-Tough Measures on Cuba May Backfire, NYT Reports
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...=latin_america

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3943297.stm
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:43 PM   #99
mack
misanthrope
Re: New Bush policy may lose him Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by cabalcomb
G. W. Bush has started a new policy against Cuba that could cost him the election in Florida. These new travel restrictions to Cuba will anger the large Cuban-American population in southern Florida. This could cost Bush the election in Florida.

Bush's Get-Tough Measures on Cuba May Backfire, NYT Reports
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...=latin_america

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3943297.stm

eh? I thought Cubans in FL HATED Fidel Castro. Im telling you Florida Cubans are serious Bush supporters. No joke. I thought they would be upset because we were thinking of lifting restrictions on Cuba?

And remember Elian Gonzalez? There was furor that GB would lose the vote by letting him go BACK to CUba, seeing as how the population hated Cuba.

EDIT: They're going to have figure out what they want, because they cant have it both ways. Still in all, if it finally awakens them to the fact that GB is NOT their friend, it will have done some good.

I read something recently that explained that he wasnt going to be able to go the Compassionate Conservative route that he went in the first election. I mean, come on, the guy went all out after the Latino vote, when he knows he's a hard line Republican.

And now, since the GOP is being split by inner divisions, he's been forced to pick a side: Conservative Repubs or Moderate/Liberal Repubs?

If you ask me, he's cutting his losses and going after the super conservative vote this time---Latinos be cursed. Now they know. Nothing like getting spurned to piss you off into doing something about it.

Last edited by mack : Aug 1, 2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:06 AM   #100
thebrokenstatue
Recruit Pilot
9 flights since Jul 2004

It seemed that in the last election, Bush was scrambling to gather votes from the gays, latinos, black, whatever, now look what happened. I'm sure he lost most of the gay support, and it seems that he's losing some of the Cuban-American support. I can tell you, it would seem as if he's committing political suicide, if it weren't for the big corporations (big oil and prescription medicine companies), and the religious right groups. And it seems everyone's looking the other way on the whole Iraqi War debacle.
I remember when Clinton got in trouble for lying about cheating on his wife, and having links to some old real estate scandal, everyone gave him the nickname "Slick Willy". How about we give Bush a fitting nickname. "Widowmaker"?, nah, "Drugstore Cowboy"?, nah. I don't know, what do you think?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 08:19 AM   #101
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

You know what was one of the biggest diplomatic blunders of the XXth Century?

When Hitler invaded the USSR, he was seen by most Russians as the man that would get rid of Stalin and his oppressive regime. In the initial weeks of the invasion, the invading Wermacht was greeted and welcomed by the Russians.

Then of course, Hitler got stupid as always. Letting racial issues get in the way, as usual, he began slaughtering the Russians.

So, the Russians rallied against the invader, and the rest is history.

Now, what's the point of this? Simple: If Hitler had realized the Russians favoured him in the war, then he could have exploited it. He could have shattered Russia in two, one faction supporting him, and another supporting Stalin. He could've won the war right there and then.

How does this relate to this whole Bush thing? I just wanted you to realize how big a blunder can become.

Well, Bush is Hitler, the Cubans are the soviets (almost literally), and Bush just shot his own foot.

Perfect.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 06:41 PM   #102
mack
misanthrope

Precisely.

The Widowmaker is just not a smart man, and sorry, no, he has either not surrounded himself with smart people, or he has refused their advice (I vote for the latter). This man is dumb as rocks.

First, as TBS so succintly, and correctly stated, Bushie tries to sweep up the liberal vote by calling himself a "compassionate conservative" and rallying the minority vote. Uhm..? No. I think there was even an angle in there where they were saying Laura Bush looked Latin.....but of course, heehee, dear friend super conservative racists....shes NOT, she just looks it, understand? (This is so propaganda, Ill have to stop soon. )

Then, he attempts to appease the super conservatives, and pisses off the liberals by going on this "fatih based initiative" kick. Hey--I have no beef with the faith based initiative, but even I could see that would cause a stir in liberal camps.

Ok, now the liberals are mad. They push gay marraige, and the country holds its breath, SURE that Dubbya is going to veto it. BUT NO! He doesnt! I still maintain that he thought he was smart and figured he was going to sweep up the gay vote by going along with that. Uh oh, now the super conservatives are pissed off!

What to do now, Bushie? What to do now?

The man has effectively alienated two extreme views, split the normally cohesive republican right, and now, is in a quandry.

I exude pleasure at the thought.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 01:52 AM   #103
thebrokenstatue
Recruit Pilot
9 flights since Jul 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
Precisely.

The Widowmaker is just not a smart man, and sorry, no, he has either not surrounded himself with smart people, or he has refused their advice (I vote for the latter). This man is dumb as rocks.

First, as TBS so succintly, and correctly stated, Bushie tries to sweep up the liberal vote by calling himself a "compassionate conservative" and rallying the minority vote. Uhm..? No. I think there was even an angle in there where they were saying Laura Bush looked Latin.....but of course, heehee, dear friend super conservative racists....shes NOT, she just looks it, understand? (This is so propaganda, Ill have to stop soon. )

Then, he attempts to appease the super conservatives, and pisses off the liberals by going on this "fatih based initiative" kick. Hey--I have no beef with the faith based initiative, but even I could see that would cause a stir in liberal camps.

Ok, now the liberals are mad. They push gay marraige, and the country holds its breath, SURE that Dubbya is going to veto it. BUT NO! He doesnt! I still maintain that he thought he was smart and figured he was going to sweep up the gay vote by going along with that. Uh oh, now the super conservatives are pissed off!

What to do now, Bushie? What to do now?

The man has effectively alienated two extreme views, split the normally cohesive republican right, and now, is in a quandry.

I exude pleasure at the thought.

Ah, but mack you are forgetting something, this is a president that is controlled by special interests. Think, who did Bush bring in after the Iraqi War. What was one of the major targets? The oil fields, and he brought in Exxon before, as he stated, "Mission Accomplished" (how's that for an oxy*****?). He gives major tax cuts to the upper class, he goes on these "faith based initiatives". (Man, I miss the days where a president would just simply go to church, not be controlled by it.). I'm sure these multimillion dollar backers of Bush will think of something to keep the race interesting.

And not only does he not listen to the advice of the smart people, he keeps them out of the circle. Seriously, when Bush started this farce of a war, who was the last person to find out? Colin Powell. And, when did he find out? When they started the bombing. Now, he was one of the guys in his cabinet saying, "Well, maybe we should do a little more investigating.",
Old Aug 17, 2004, 12:01 AM   #104
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
Worse the WATERGATE

Try reading "WORSE THAN WATERGATE" by John Dean, former Counsel to President Nixon. This book provides a thoughtful, but chilling analysis of the secrecy of Bush & Cheney.

I highly recommend this book. It opened my eyes even wider to the secrecy, lies and abuses of the G. W. Bush administration. I learned several things I did not know about the activities of G.W. Bush.

I learned that while the vote count in Florida was being decided G.W. Bush had all his Governatorial papers sealed and shipped to his father's Presidental library, even though this was a violation of Texas state law. In violation of Texas law George W. Bush, the governor of Texas, sealed and shipped all his papers as governor to his father's Presidental library where they were safe from public scrutiny. That is just one example of the well documented abuses that appear in this book.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]