Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Jun 29, 2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000
Forum upgrade

Greetings pilots,

I will be upgrading the forums withing the next 4 days. The process will, however, take about 24 hours, rebuilding the search index being the main cuprit; the forums therefore will be unavailable during that time. To give you an idea of the new looks for the SQUAD! gathering grounds (and to minimize disorientation), you will find included here screenshots from an unregistered user's point of view of the "lighter" design which should integrate well with the new site colors. I still have to add back the SQUAD! logo, but the initial general concept is pretty much complete.- Ramses.
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003
Re: Forum upgrade

The "similar threads" seems kinda stupid, to be honest. And I don't like the colours. Does it come in red?

But otherwise, nice, you're great, etc. I love you.
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

I'm not excited. Nu-uh not one bit.

Is the site being changed at the same time?

What's all the little icons at the bottom of the thread? There's google, yahoo, rs and a whole bunch of others - what are they for?

I really like that layout (the avatar bit, the ability to preview threads bit - will that be user configurable?, the more condensed layout for thread lists and that it looks so clean), but I don't like the orange & the blue is the same blue that new forums get (sorry ) edit I like the blue linkage, it's the bars.

(I never knew there was so many at the start of that chat thread)

Last edited by Seraph : Jun 29, 2006 at 05:33 PM.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:33 PM   #4
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

New SciFlicks, WHEEE! *bounces up and down like Sonic on sugar*

The only thing that kinda bothers me is the white. The dark blue-ness of the current SciFlicks has a more "starship" kind of feel somehow; the white is a bit...well...generic.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

It's REALLY white....

But other than that, it's great. I like it a lot.

And agreed, that layout is great.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:34 PM   #6
Ramses
Administrator

To all, points noted. Colors may change a bit, depending on general feedback. Of course, tweaks will undoubtedly occur once the upgrade is done and pilots and civilians alike will be able to interact with the new tools.

Wachesaw: I'll give "similar threads" a go for a while, but if no-one is using it I'll probably drop the feature. Until then you can always collapse it out of sight.

Seraph: The icons are auto-submission links to social bookmark services (like del.icio.us, RawSugar, Spurl...) as used by many blog authors. Much of the missions flown by you, fellow pilots, are quite inspiring: mesmerized civilians and pilots familiar with these bookmarking tools will be able to easily invite others to visit the SQUAD, read your thoughts and hopefully join your ranks. Design-wise, the main site will follow "a few days" later: I got bogged down handling too many things (again) and haven't completed my task list for June.

Nexus: Granted. I'll see how I can adjust the looks a bit to make it feel more "starshipy".
Old Jun 30, 2006, 03:21 AM   #7
Seraph

You just told me I could mesmirise civilians.....

I will not be held responsible.

Is there a blogger one? (I like the white, it's modern, minimalist and clean this blues too dark - I agree it needs a different color/something to lift it, have seen those blue bars with white on sooooo many forums, but I'd prefer it to stay light and clean)

Can't wait. (especially to use new shiny funky stuff)
Old Jun 30, 2006, 05:42 AM   #8
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

The dark design is gone. That is so sad.

Ramses please provide an alternate color mode that will be similar to the current dark blue. You can put the clean white as default but please make a dark one for nostalgia's sake!

Also, i don't se how similar threads would work since the debate can go in so many directions and perspectives. If you link them by keywords it can be misleading beacuse some words can be used in one context in a specific thread and entierly different in another.

But maybe if it is based on suggestions by members then it could work.

PS: What is the default resolution for the New Site and Forum?
The last one was able to fit in 800x600 , so is it the same or did you go for 10024x768?

And where are our signatures?

Last edited by Ivan : Jun 30, 2006 at 05:53 AM.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I'm excited

My initial reacton was "oh, no, the change is DRASTIC!". My immediate second reaction was "Oh, the changes are niiice."

So Seraph's promise of "shiny newness" is on the way!

4 days you say? Sciflicks offline for 24 hours, you say? I'm sure we'll cope

<<stocks up on tinned goods>>

PS : I'm kindof with everyone ese on the colours ... although the white would grow on my quickly.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:10 AM   #10
Seraph

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

And where are our signatures?
Can't believe I didn't notice that.

I'm fine on trading sig pics/size for larger avs, but the whole sig going?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:07 AM   #11
Ramses
Administrator

You are strong and resilient pilots; I have the upmost confidence in your ability to employ these new opportunities.

Change can be hard, I know, most definitely after all those years. Ideally, I would have performed the changes gradually over a 6-month period so as to minimize shock, but knowing myself it is better to get it done now rather than risking my drifting off again. I don't make any promises as to an alternative color; I'd rather focus on getting at least one core design down and suitable to most's tastes. Perhaps when all is done...

The "similar Threads" features is handled by magical vBulletin voodoo. Agreed, results are often quirky and off-topic. Perhaps they will come handly nonetheless in movie-specific forums, we'll have to try and see.

These screenshots were from a civilian's view. Signatures are visible to all logged-in pilots. However, the signature size has been limited in height and images are currently disabled. Of course, avatars will be allowed to be larger, as agreed earlier.

Color-wize, I'm tied between blue-bars and orange ones (like the one at the bottom of the screenshots), I'll try experimenting some more.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:16 AM   #12
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

I fear change...

I like this design. The current one,that is. It feels like, well, home.

I share Ivanhoe's view of an alternate color palette. Something not so "happy".
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:39 AM   #13
Seraph

I like change

Has vB been upgraded then? Can't wait to play with the gadgets, whistles and bells.

Signatures...would there be a way to limit image size in them (as a trade off to larger avs) to keep everyone happy? How big are the avs going to be?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:46 AM   #14
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

I can't wait to post user reviews, like on IMDb!

The bland whitness and awful orange can go, but apart from that, I love the design!!

*happy dance*
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 03:55 PM   #15
Seraph

Nex would like to politely request that there be a black version and a white version - and I'd like silver and teal as accent colours, if you've got any Cookies handy I'll have them too.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems