Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:38 AM   #1
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Graphic novels

They're not called comic books dammit.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:17 AM   #2
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005
Re: Graphic novels

Over the past year I've started reading graphic novels. I read all of the Swamp Thing volumes (most written by Alan Moore), Watchmen, the first two volumes of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Frank Miller's Batman Returns. I think that's it. Oh yeah, I read all nine volumes of Dark Horse's Clone Wars comics. Those are good, actually.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Sandman and Preacher are the best, in my opinion. I started collecting Hellblazer for a while, but I just got tired of it trying too hard to be bleak every issue.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I've seen Preacher and I would like to read those. I've read the first volume only of Sandman. That series looks pretty good, too.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:20 PM   #5
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Sandman is superb, Preacher is also excellent. Preacher is especially interesting in that at times it appears to be quite high concept, despite being pretty low-brow

I also recommend Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez, the man responsible for the dementedness that is Invader Zim.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:31 PM   #6
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

(Comics! They're comics! Nerd pride! No Shame!)

Runaways is my favourite at the moment. I've had Y: The Last Man recommended to me, cause it's by the same author. Is it as good as everyone says?

Nex: Hellblazer a bit too... dark.... for you?
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:39 PM   #7
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

(No, they're not comics! They're Illustrated Literature!!)

Too dark for moi? Nonsense! Just too...real and gritty, and not in an interesting way. Sometimes it was like reading a graphic novel equivalent of those painfully dull British films, like My Beautiful Laundrette, but with the occasional demon and humour. I didn't mind this at first, it was quite unique, but later I found it was just trying too hard.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:55 PM   #8
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I just call them comic books when I mention them to people. "Graphic Novel" sounds too much like I'm apologetic and trying to cover up a shame or something. Even if somebody loses respect for me for reading a "comic book," I just think, "I forgive you, for you know not what you say." Speaking like Jesus helps me feel superior, which I find to be a good defense mechanism against feeling ashamed.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Sep 30, 2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:04 PM   #9
mightymem
Recruit Pilot
14 flights since Sep 2006
Graphic novels

I have never really got into graphic novels, I have only read two in my life. One was based on Terry Prachetts first discworld novel The colour of Magic and the other graphic novel I read was a futuristic version of King Arther and the Knights of the round table. I read that ages ago and can remember the title, since then I just kept to novels
mightymem is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:09 PM   #10
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

I've always called them graphic novels because that's how I saw everyone else refer to them, such as when I was looking through a Forbidden Planet catalogue, or in the Graphic Novels section in a bookshop. I figured, "Oh hey, these are really lengthy stories like a proper book...but with more pictures! So that's what the difference between a graphic novel and comic book is!" I didn't even know that the term 'comic' had negative connotations and 'graphic novel' was used as a kind of cover-up until a few years ago. Unless that I interpreted it correctly the first time.

While a graphic novel is really a collection of comics compiled together, I only actually call the ones with one single storyline a graphic novel. Stuff like "The Essential (Superhero Name Here) Collection" felt too much like, well, a collection of cimics compiled together, so they never really felt like a 'novel' to me.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:12 PM   #11
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

Yeah, I'm sure most people don't make a big deal out of it at all. I'm sure "graphic novel" isn't necessarily an apologetic term. I think I say "comic book," actually to entice people into making fun of me for reading comic books. Which is stupid, I guess. I really should just say "graphic novel."
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:18 PM   #12
mightymem
Recruit Pilot
Graphic novels

You should never feel guilty for reading what you as a person enjoy, so what if other people do not enjoy them, people should not take the mick out of something they do not like. Reading is something you do in your own personal space and does not really effect anyone else. So I say read what you like !
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:25 PM   #13
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

Yeah, but I definitely keep some of what I read in secret. If I told people in some circles, "Yes, I'm reading the new Clone Wars novel this week," I would have a lot of explaining to do, but it wouldn't do any good because they would lose all respect for me, so I just don't tell people that to keep my social life less complicated. I just mention the stuff that's more literary. I don't know why I bother reading books of lesser quality, I just do for some reason. I'm just curious how different people write. A lot of the people who write Star Wars novels, I think are pretty intelligent people who are actually trying to write a good story, some are definitely better than others. Actually, I don't think I can bother with too much anymore with books that I know to be inferior, even if they have an occasional interesting plot point or insight or whatever. There's too much to read to bother with books that won't enlighten you all the way through, with regard to language and insight, or that are genuinely original in some way.

Some graphic novels, however, are genuinely good and I would be happy to mention them in public. Except for the Darkhorse Clone Wars graphic novels. I think they're good, but I wouldn't mention them except around another fellow geek.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Sep 30, 2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:40 PM   #14
mightymem
Recruit Pilot
Graphic novels

I always go through phases where I read books I consider intelligent and then books which are just fun, I take turns depending on the mood I am in. I even read Harry Potter books just because I found them so fun and relaxing. I would not compare JK Roweling with literary as they are children books. But I am also trying to read more classic Literary at the moment and recently in England they are rereleasing all the classic sci fiction novels which have impacted the genre, these are what I am trying to search and read at the moment.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:46 PM   #15
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

That's a good idea. I've been wanting to read John Steakly's Armor sometime soon. But, anyway . . . not to get off topic.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room