Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Apr 4, 2007, 02:16 PM   #31
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: For the Attention of Ramses

In the absence of a captain-y type, I elect to go down with the ship! Come on, you apes, do you want to live forever? Who's with me?!

<<tumbleweed rolls by>>

You ****ers

Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:29 AM   #32
damn righto
Pilot
22 flights since Dec 2002

Ramses has entered the Sixth Dimension.
damn righto is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 03:36 AM   #33
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Hmmm ... Length, Breadth, Depth, Time ... something ... and something ...

Old May 9, 2007, 01:18 PM   #34
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

I...may...be....near....screaming point.

Somebody save us from the spam!!!!
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 06:49 PM   #35
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

To re-iterate (just in case Ramses comes back, sees the thread and missses the first 2 pages) :

"Hullo Ramses,

I hope you read this on your next visit to these parts, as it is (in my not incredibly humble opinon ) rather a major issue.

I'm talking about our moderators. Don't get me wrong, the ones we have now are doing a fine job, to the best of their ability. When the latest spam onslaught sets foot in their particular forums, it's gunned down swiftly and surely.

But that's the problem itself. Many (perhaps most?) of the forums are now unmoderated because of mods who, for very good reasons I'm sure, are no longer able to be with us often enough to do any moderating. No blame lies with them, of course, the real world is very time-consuming and much more demanding than the virtual one. Anyone who would think otherwise would be being very unfair, it goes without saying (although I just said it anyway).

My point is this - in order to combat this latest wave of more militant spam, our moderator situation really does need to change.
  • We could have a minimum of one moderator in every forum, if such a thing is possible or practical - even the Pilot's Mess, something which I have been against for some time but now see the wisdom of. If the more absent mods forums could be co-modded by less absent mods, perhaps?
  • Maybe we need more mods, to mod forums currently unmodded (and there are a few of those). This would probably help significantly ease the workload created on curent mods by the above suggestion.
  • Sorry, Ramses, but I'm going to use the S-word again ... maybe we could have Supermods? Ubermods? Godmods? (Catchy, but ego-inflating ) Seriously, though, enhanced moderator abilities would help immensely - banning I.P. addresses and s forth could help nip these spam waves in the bud before they get too serious. Is this possible, though? I don't know much about vBullitin, which is why I'm a Pilot and you're an Administrator

I realise I'm not saying anything new here - hell, I'm pretty much parroting a dozen similar threads in this forum - but I think it's something that needs to be emphasized. I'd be grateteful if other members could post in this thread to keep it floating above the spam, so that when Ramses returns it's noticeable.

Feel free to disagree, agree, argue, shrug indifferently - especially the mods, as this issue affects you guys the most. I don't want you to feel I'm advocating heaping tonnes of work on you guys "
Old May 25, 2007, 06:30 AM   #36
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

BUMPed. Again. Because you never know...
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:30 PM   #37
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

BUMPED

Because Ramses is on! Hi Ramses!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:30 PM   #38
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

You lie!! I don't believe it. Then again, he was probably overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of spam that he ordered the self destruct activated.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:47 PM   #39
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Well, while he was here, I'm fairly certain he blockd an IP address or two ... er, I hope
Old Jun 2, 2007, 12:51 AM   #40
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000

Greetings pilots,

You're right Optimus Prime, I've activated the ship's self-destruct mechanism. It will happen in 4 phases:

1. Temporarily turn off recruiting (done)
2. Vent out the air to clear out the spam infestation, keeping records in the process (in progress...)
3. Temporarily shut down the forums in preparation for a jump
4. Jump the ship to another server (same company) for better growth potential

All done within a few days. Will also try to find something better against spam; that latest batch was from China and Nigeria (no bots, just low-wage human drones). Maybe I'll have to code something myself, we'll see.

Yup Splend, I understand and totally agree with your grievances. After much delay, I'll be finishing and applying the new style and features to the site sometime this summer, so I'll be around to implement these much awaited forum-specific requests.

Ramses out.
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2007, 05:49 AM   #41
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Thanks, finishing the site off would be nice, blocking spam bots even better. However we all know you can't be here all the time and we'd appreciate most a contingency mod structure to keep the place fresh & alive in your absence as Splend said (spammers out, 'new' film forums moving/creation etc).

I get you want to finish the project you started (re-fit), which is fab, but please don't leave us captainless again. We seem to loose a lot of members through it and sciflicks should be a bustling hive.

Shutting down forums? I'm not panicing, I'm not. Really I'm not. (People should start hiding the big red buttons now)

Ooooh I just remember pilot reviews
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2007, 06:44 AM   #42
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Thanks very much, Ramses! It's good to see you back - with the latest spam wave, I was getting worried

<<crosses his fingers for mods with spam-removal and blocking capabilities>>
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:10 PM   #43
Arcee
Pilot
40 flights since Oct 2006
glad to see ya back

hey ramses glad to see ya. hopefully we can eliminate the spammers. i havent been on for so long cause i was geeting sick of all the spam but im back now and it looks like right no time. Only a month to go before the Transformers movie comes out.
Autobots Transform and Rollout!
Arcee
Arcee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:11 AM   #44
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

Ahh Thanks the Lord, Ramses has returned from long distant pastures.

There is light at the end of this spam-filled tunnel at long last just when my last vestiges of hope were fading.

Thanks for the update; looking forward to the jump into the next dimension
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:34 AM   #45
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

We should be preparing - batten down the hatches! Seal all the airlocks! Put child-safety locks on all the cupboards!

<<straps self into a chair and prepares for the jump>>

What? It's not time yet? Aaaw ...

I was surprised to hear that it wasn't bots this this time, actually. I wonder how many wage-slave-drones there were dpoing this? Poor guys...

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems