Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
True Blood - (New HBO Series)

http://epguides.com/TrueBlood/

Anyone seen the first episode of this new HBO show? They were giving away free copies of the first episode on DVD at Blockbuster the other night - I didnt end up watching it before I took it back. However, upon browsing online, it appears that this show is based on the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris.

If I had've known, I wouldve watched it!

I'm reminded of the conversation I was following in the Twilight, movie thread - re: the plot line is interesting, if somewhat juvenile - however, though I've not read Twilight (and probably wont), I have read the Sookie Stackhouse books, and find them thankfully lighter than Laurell K. Hamilton, and still humorous enough to keep reading.

Anybody seen it? Anybody wanna see it? Thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:56 PM   #2
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
Re: True Blood - (New HBO Series)

So it's about... vampires?
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:04 AM   #3
mack
misanthrope

ok, so I'm finally watching the first episode, and 5 minutes in I have to say, other than the itty bitty fang issue as floyd mentioned, its pretty good so far.

except....wasnt aware that Tara was Black? I dont think the Tara in the book was a black chick, but oh well, we'll see how that plays out. Other than that, so far Sookie Stackhouse looks...ok enough, though from the book, you get that she was even more of a hottie - kinda like a dead-ringer for a blonde floozy/sex kitten/bimbo looking chick. This Sookie looks like a poor blonde girl that's an american sweetheart. Which is exactly what I think the book Sookie is supposed to be, but in the book she often complains that the bane of her life is that she is considered "that" girl. You know the one.

so yeah. TV Sookie is missing the "sexed up/sensual" aspect. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong.

Merlotte's looks like I expected, and WOWZERS they made Sam a hottie!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

edit: As there's nothing that explains what this is.....

Plot: Adapted from Charlaine Harris book series, The Southern Vampire Mysteries, True Blood is set in our world but with one big difference. Two years ago vampries came out of the coffin due to the advent of a synthetic blood called "True Blood", allowing them to live (allegedly) in harmony with humans. They are now legally recognised citizens, but can't as yet marry and are currently campagining to congress for a bunch of other stuff.

The main protagonist from the books was Sookie, a small town Louisianna girl,who's more than a bit odd, not least because she hears what people are thinking. It essentially revolves around her, the people where she works and her life falling deeper and deeper into the newly revealed vampire world. Show opens with a series of murders, all female, all people who've er...been intimate with vampires.

It's definatly an adult sereis, but with a lot of black humour. Misses the mark a lot of times, but there are a few gems - otherwise known as the supporting cast. From her dog of a brother, to her sarky best friend and her over protective boss (who runs naked in the woods).

(SF just block it from your memory, you'll be happier)

No she (Tara) wasn't, 6ft under guy expanded her, Lafeyette & Jason's roles.

In sheer deprevation of anything else, I seem to be catchign this religiously. An admission I'm probably going to regret but: I did read the books, not a fan of Sookie but certain characters kept me reading - that and a deep need for brain numbness.

Soooo so far: heavy on the sex, Sookie needs a slap, YAY Eric, yay Pam, in a friggin grave yard ewwww, Bill how morose, Jason is fun, new Tara we love, Lafeyette you go. I really really want that bath.

I like what 6ft Under Guy had done with it actually, it works, better than the books, but still Sookie is just so....DUH. The tv series really benefits from having the surrounding characters expanded and to a lesser degree subliminally playing up the socio-political aspects (see marketing campaign).

Last edited by Seraph : Oct 29, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:30 AM   #5
mack
misanthrope

oh wow, true blood just took a turn for the better. i gotta say so far to love is to bury is the BEST. EPISODE. EVER!

the girl Bill turned has completely stolen this episode, if you ask me. at first using the preacher daughter cliche seemed quite trite, because you really didnt know where they were going with it, but the way she came out is actually quite hilarious - so is Bill's dismay.

almost done, and I find myself at the jail scene - and doesnt Mary Forrester give you that horrible sinking feeling? (I'm very glad to see this actress on the show though - it can only get more interesting from here. I love how they dont even give her a fake accent.) I thought she was naked chick on the side of the road, or isnt she? I just want to scream at the screen "NO TARA! NOOOOOO!!"

re: the accents. So far, I'm betting Arlene is the only real Southerner they have on the show, and for my money, she's the only real accent. The rest are HORRIBLY fake, and Bill Compton is straight from the UK. Which makes me wonder: is it me, or do you see a high instance of Brit-cum-American South roles? If that is case do you think it may be because the Southern accent is more distinct and easier to mimick (fake)?
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

Good show but does anyone think Alan Ball is a dumb sounding name? sure we all know his sexual orientation since he craves balls.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Seraph

Erm ok...........

On to hog woman -

yes. Don't read more if you don't want to know.

2nd book I think, she's a m-something (maened?) that feeds off the vibes from alcoholics and violent people. With a wild hog in tow.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:07 AM   #8
mack
misanthrope

yep - I do remember the ___ from the books, but she featured as Sam's nemesis only, in a Sam/Sookie/Eric way - Tara was not a part of that if I recall.

Its odd how they are taking aspects of the book and turning them on their head in the show. Kind of like featuring them, but in a slightly skewed storyline way.

im ready to wrap this up and move on the lycanthropes. I dont recall the books spending so much time on the vamps only. snore! I'm trying to figure out how in the world they are going to approach the whole jason-becomes-a-lycanthrope issue....
Old Jan 10, 2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Seraph

On the above

She wasn't really Sam's nemsis she just caused random trouble and tried to kill Sookie as a message to Eric - so that he'd pay her tribute. She then honed in on an orgy party at which Tara was a party goer (Sookie turned up with undercover-Eric in lycra to try and find out who'd killed Lafeyette - they figured it was someone from his 'scene').

Why the hell do I remember the useless crap?

Lycanthropes actually bored me, vamp politics was the interesting one for me.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 06:15 PM   #10
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

I think Alan Ball needs to put Zombies on this show as an addition with Lycanthropes, Afterall Zombies are the closet things to Vampires when they are undead.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:05 PM   #11
mack
misanthrope

I dont mind vamp politics - I just think they get so much more interesting later on in the storyline (like lets fastforward to the Queen of Louisiana? the marriage? Bill's true allegiance? etc!)

and yeah I am biased toward lycans - shapeshifting and and all its strangeness has always been fascinating to me, in kind of a backwards evolution kind of way. Very primal, but somehow still more human or alive. Ok I'll admit my second go 'round in fantasy all those years ago was prolly Jennifer Roberson. I've been scarred for life!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:50 AM   #12
mack
misanthrope

SPOILERS ARE RIFE.

word of the season? EXCESS.

omg. the scene where jessica bites hoyts mother? BEST. TRUEBLOOD SCENE. EVER!!!!

good god this season is great. man, they seriously departed from the book storyline, so anyone who is holding off reading the book for fear it will "spoil" something - no need. you'll get a basic outline of what could happen, and a general framework for the progression of the plots, but as of this season, ALL bets are off, and fasten your seatbelts baby, because the train has left the tracks!

second best scene so far? the scene when the big, scary viking Eric cries about Godric. heartbreaking! Good lord that man can act. I even shed a tear, but of course, Im a softie. Father, Brother, Son. great stuff.

I wonder if its Sookie's "other" gift in the books that comes into play here - if so, then she needs to beat that chick down. Preferably immediately. nor can i believe they left us hanging like that! on another note, this show has evolved into a completely different beast than the books. Charlaine Harris can now pen Sookie books in safety. However, I read something alarming the other day: apparently she actually is around the show, discusses things with the actors, and .....takes part in the development???

PLEASE. NO. *shakes head vigorously*

now. we all know that Charlaine Harris is the diluted version of Laurell K. Hamilton, with Anita Blake, and her Louisiana being the much badder, much darker version of Sookie Stackhouse (actually in real time, Anita being the precursor to Sookie) and her world of vamps, tramps, and anything else that goes bump in the night. however, lets deal with reality.

here's reality. HBO is making Sookie Stackhouse and the "Dead" storyline into something Charlaine Harris never could have, and never would have dreamed in her wildest imagination. because let's face it folks - has anyone here ever READ Harris' books? if you have, you may have noticed that the characters are ridiculously cookie-cutter, as though Harris went and read a book on archetypal character patterns, and plugged them into her story one after another. To top that off, the books are chock full of basic unchallenged and unrepentant stereotypes, linear thinking and severe narrow-mindedness.

its not that this is bad - it simply tells you what to expect from the various books' ultimate punchlines. indeed, the books go undercover as enlightened themes and tongue-in-cheek/good fun critics of the personal prejudices and assumptions of Everyman, but in telling the story, so many assumptions are made and stereotypical pictures painted that at every turn of the page, it feels like you are missing some sort of inside point - a point that is never made.

the point is never made because Harris actually takes herself seriously. the shameless stereotyping of the books, and the enlightened "we're all god's children" and "cant we all get along" theme of the books are not the snide, yet intelligent humor of a knowing author who totally wants you get the juxtaposition. no. it is merely the basic presumptions of a mystery author who is (self)assured that she, too, can dabble in the theme of exotic fantasy fiction.

i know. *holds up hands in surrender* i judge, i judge. but truly? it was the shallow writing of the first 3 pages in the first book that got me reading the series so long ago. i can remember thinking: "Oh, this oughta be rich." rich, not in the sense of dense, deep or worthy material, but rich in sense of entertaining or laughable. and how! the entire series is a study in contradictions between the writer, and her work. you can tell a lot about a person by what and how they write - fiction or non-fiction, and Harris is an open book.

she is to exotic fiction what Janet Evanovich is to mystery: the dumbed down version. A lot of fun to be with, but nothing you can respect.

having said all that - lets now pop back over to the HBO show. the best thing that happened to the Sookie story was for Harris to allow HBO to take creative license. i grant you that where HBO is going with this is still a mystery, but its a strange, weird and intriguing mystery. and if nothing else, HBO has wielded its use of basic presumptions, cliches and stereotypes unapologetically (sp?) and with apparent knowledge - and in doing so it feels like they have given the story - and miasma of suffering depicted - more dignity.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 04:20 AM   #13
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

I've heard great things about this series. But i missed over half the first season so i decided to skip it till i could see it all. I'm assuming its worth sitting down to watch?
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:21 PM   #14
Seraph

Amazingly enough I've actually now fallen for it (taken to end of season 2 but hey).

I loathe the main female protagonist and her relationship with a Bill is high school grade ick-are-you-kidding-me but I stuck in there for a fantastic ensemble cast (Lafeyette = black shift cook come drug dealer come hooker come super-fab star, Tara = ***** who knows which way it goes, Jason = man whore so dumb he sometimes gets it so right etc etc).

Now by the later half of season 2, the plot line has seriously picked up, the trappings of the books have been shucked and it's standing properly on it's own two feet.

Definitately worth staying with.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy