Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:57 PM   #31
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
SOMEWHAT SPOILER FOR HAMILTON BOOKS

Quote:
Originally posted by broken tusk
Hay mack have you read all of the Anita Blake books? She's really not the same charactor anymore is she?

I read up to Narcissus in Chains. Then I jumped over to the Gentry series while waiting for the next Anita Blake novel.

You are right---she definitely mutated into a more, how do you say--(i dont want to say "promiscuous," because it is too inexact)--hardbitten, sexually liberal woman.

But I think that is where Laurell was headed all along---my theory is that her readership couldn't stomach it at first, so she handholds us and very subtly leads us down this path of ultimate inner conflict---with a resulting hedonist.

She really could have called the series: The Consistent Amoralization of a Moral Woman. I think her point is that there is no existence on the outer edges of the continuum----people are neither good nor bad-----they are good people backed into immoral corners.

And I think I am right---because I read a review that said that the Gentry "Fae" series was less well accepted, due to the blatantly hedonistic heroine.

I think that Gentry is how she really feels, and Blake is how she graduates the moral mind to Gentry. She was always headed in that direction. Anita Blake will become Merdith Gentry
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 03:15 PM   #32
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003
Re: Great Sci-Fi Authors List

Anita Blake will become Merdith Gentry.

No she won't, their both close in charactor type but they will never be the same. Anita has become almost like Edward. Meredith will never be like that. Meredith will always be more sexualy liberated. Not to say Anita isn't just not to that extrem.
And Meredith knows what she is, Anita is still trying to find herself.

Oh have you read the latest Meredith book? I liked it but felt just when you get into it it's over. I also like the way the Queen is getting.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:15 PM   #33
mack
misanthrope

I think you may have a point about Anita--but dont you think that Meredith is also thrust into a situation not of her making by the Queen?

I have read the second Gentry book nor the last Anita book yet---so Im kinda behind in the plots.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:18 PM   #34
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by broken tusk
I also like the way the Queen is getting.

that chick is hardcore! But last I left, I can kinda see where LKH is helping us understand why she is such a hardened helmswoman. . .
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:02 AM   #35
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003

The Queen is soooo hardcore in the new booh that well there aren't any words in the English laguge to discribe it. Oh Anita didn't grow up the way she is now, And Meredith did. That helps put them both in perspective.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:15 PM   #36
mack
misanthrope

Right, but remember in the first book where Meredith basically divorced herself from her heritage and her people, and was living in hiding? That was like a personal decision that she did not agree with their ways, and would be killed/chewed up-spit out in that environment. She was, for lack of a better word, more idealistic, softer, even.

Then she went home, and now she is dealing with who she really is, the power she has, and her responsibility to wield it among her people.

Yeah, she wanted to be normal and nice, but duty calls, I guess.
Old May 11, 2004, 04:48 PM   #37
mack
misanthrope
Rachel Caine's Ill Winds

I just have to do this quick Book Review as I am so tickled pink that there is finally a new author out there in Fantasy/Scifi Land that is worth her salt!

The heroine (or not so heroic ) of this novel is Joan, who is a Weather Warden. Apparently, the weather as we know it is a beast that must be tamed, in order to keep our world from the brink of chaos and destruction. Children with power to control the weather are sent to schools, educated, and eventually become card-carrying weather Wardens, or their underlings. Joan, is Weather Warden who controls storms. She is very powerful, but has not yet been granted a Djinn (a genie) to augment her powers.

This book hits the ground running, with Joan on the run in her midnight blue '71 Mustang named Delilah. A mother of all storms is chasing her, literally and figuratively. She's burning the road to outrun the malevolent weather stalking her, and the superiors after her to bring her to heel on claims of personal corruption. And she needs to be brought to heel. She is responsible for the death of her superior, a man of great power and standing in their line of work. The very man who attempted to sabotage her entrance into the Warden school. To deny her power. To crush her before she began.

And now she has a Demon in her. Her only hope of survival to keep the Demon from eating her heart and walking the earth in her body is to transfer the Demon to a more powerful being. But she's got this one down. The one most powerful man on the face of the planet has been missing since her old school days with him. He had also been subjected to a witchhunt before his disappearance. But he had not disappeared before stealing 3 Djinn. Simple. Find him, call in a favor, get a Djinn, transfer the Demon, problem solved.

But nothing is as it seems. The weather wants her dead. And a very powerful somone is manipulating the weather as a shield for their agenda. This book is quite delightful and interesting as Joan scrapes her way past the authorities hunting her down, narrowly escapes being fried to bacon by the sky, calls in favors by old friends, battles rogue Djinn, unravels the mystery of her nemesis and discovers the ultimate conclusion.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:12 PM   #38
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

Hmmm three pages and no ones mentioned L. Ron Hubbard im surprised as battlefield earth is one of my all time favourite sci-fi books. even though it was a sh!t film.......
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 09:57 PM   #39
mack
misanthrope

lol--i think that film is HATED here! Although it is the very film that got my little brother to finally pick up a book and read. (wow) He loves battefield/political theory and loved the movie (in spite of John Travolta. . . *shhhh!* "Travolta" is a swear word in this family!) I actually liked the movie from the gritty standpoint of the survivors/conquered. Gritty. Anyone who is forced to eat live rats get a thumbs up in my book. . . .
Old May 13, 2004, 04:03 AM   #40
Pyrophobic
Pilot
31 flights since May 2004

On account of the bad reviews the film received, I've never so much as felt like touching anything related to Battlefield Earth with a barge pole. But if it is based on a good book ... Pyro is learned.

Hrm ... my favourite sci-fi authors would have to be Philip K. **** (for his themes and style - and the fact that when I checked out a biographical note about him I discovered his life experiences have been very similar to mine), Ray Bradbury (for his ideas), H.G. Wells (the master!) and John Wyndham (for the chilling quality of his books). I've had bad experiences with these newer authors who write extensive series since I can never seem to find Book 1. *laughs*

Anyway, along the lines of Wyndham and Crichton's science fiction, can anyone out there inform me of any good novels that are more along the lines of genetic misadventures? I love those but can't seem to find enough of them in the new canon of sci-fi literature. I'm looking for an alternative to space aliens and spaceships, which seem to be on many covers nowadays. (I know, I know - "don't judge a book by its cover!")
Pyrophobic is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 04:27 AM   #41
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

Vernor Vinge.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:21 AM   #42
merlin
Sector Marshall

Quote:
On account of the bad reviews the film received, I've never so much as felt like touching anything related to Battlefield Earth with a barge pole. But if it is based on a good book ... Pyro is learned.

Get the book you wont be dissapointed. also a good book by him is one called fear it isnt sci-fi but its a damn good read..

Have you read crightons book prey? its about nano technology that goes wrong (no surprise there for him) i havnt read it but i heard it was good, going to have to look out for it.
Old May 13, 2004, 02:51 PM   #43
Pyrophobic
Pilot
31 flights since May 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by merlin

Have you read crightons book prey? its about nano technology that goes wrong (no surprise there for him) i havnt read it but i heard it was good, going to have to look out for it.

*laughs* You know what - that book stares me in the face every time I go up the stairs. We bought it a few months back but only my brother's had the chance to read it. I think after I've finished PKD's A Scanner Darkly I'll probably start on it, should time permit. I love Crichton's Jurassic Park - the illustrations of chaos theory and the scienctific knowledge he includes is great, even if some people don't assume it to be completely credible. I must just be highly gullible if that's the case.

Quote:
Vernor Vinge

Will search that - thanks!
Pyrophobic is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 05:33 PM   #44
merlin
Sector Marshall

Ive read almost all of his books except timeline ,prey and eaters of the dead which was the movie 13th warrior the andromeda strain was a bit heavy going at times but i loved jurassic park and the lost world.

One to look out for is a book called binary which is a race against a plot to release a biological weapon in the states a good read.....
Old May 13, 2004, 06:55 PM   #45
mack
misanthrope

Oh my. 13th Warrior is in my collection--now Im going to have to read Eaters of the Dead.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room