Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:40 PM   #31
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002
Re: Book Tab

Your right. I think he new that his was inadvertanly to blame for Claudia's death through Armond. That's why he refused, after burning down the theater, to leave with Armond and decided to remain alone. He's a masochist.

Speaking of Armond, has any one read "The Vampire Armond?" If so, how was it?
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:05 AM   #32
Merlin
n/a flights since

Kier read Weaveworld it was better than the great and secret show.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 07:01 AM   #33
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

Weave World is awsome.

So is Imajica, actually that is my favorite.

But I've also read Sacrement, The Damnation Game, The Books of Blood, Galilee, and Everville(sequel to The Great and Secret Show). I've also played his FPS PC game Clive Barker's: Undying, which was awsome. And then of course there is Hell Raiser (the first one).

If any one else here likes Clive, then I also suggest Neil Gaiman. Go read his American Gods (which is a lot like The Damnnation Game, but more mythological), and go read Neverwhere. It will completely change your perspective of the London underground.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 07:01 PM   #34
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I am currently re-reading The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett. It's the Discworld's answet to Australia, and it's very very funny.

Next in line - Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin, if I can afford to get my hands on a copy.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:05 AM   #35
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

Im reading the third installment of the Meg series called Primal Waters by Steve Alten and im looking forward to recieving another book by him called Domain about an asteroid that crashes to earth millions of years ago which is infact the remains of an ancient alien civilisation.
Kier was Damnation Game about a bodyguard? i remember reading a book where a dogs dead offspring attack him and something about a demon coming to claim a soul or something like that i read it a long time ago..I was looking at Clives new book the other day i think ill give it a miss think hes edging a bit too close to the harry potter side of things it looked more for kids than adults....
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:37 AM   #36
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

I'm now reading "If You Survive" again. This is one of my favourite memoirs book.

It's the recollections of an american soldier, from Normandy to the end of the war. He's been through every major battle in the Second Front, and his storytelling is superb. He tells it like a human, without the "grand scheme", just the personnal view. By the end of the war, he was the only one left in his Company from the original men who'd started the war in it. All the others had been killed, wounded or transfered.

It's a very violent book. A literary version of Saving Private Ryan.

Just last night I put the book away after he told how the tank behind the one he was riding in was hit, and blew up in a fireball, killing the crew and throwing HIS men that were on top of it into the air like rag dolls. Then he saw one of his men just standing up on the road and shoot his rifle at a ****ing tank. Needless to say, he was shot. The medic rushed to help, but the medic was shot as well, though he was only wounded.

After all this, he went into a ditch, and became trapped between an american tank and a german tank duking it out. The german tank blew up, and he killed his first man there: The tank commander, when trying to flee the burning tank.

This book is incredible. I know this guy's been in Hurtgen Forest, the most devastating (and less known) battle in WWII american history. I can't rwait to read to what he went through there again. Amazing what some people endure without losing their sanity.

Last edited by Iwata : Aug 24, 2004 at 08:23 AM.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:54 AM   #37
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Iwata reading a non-fiction book of WW2? Really?
What were the chances of that?

I'm reading: "All the Myriad Ways" by Larry Niven.
It's a series of shorts, mostly seeming to do with the possibility of multiple parallel universes.
And he gives a scientific rambling about the physical constraints upon Superman and his love-life - and how Louis Lane really wouldn't to if she wanted to live!
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 08:24 AM   #38
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Jove
Iwata reading a non-fiction book of WW2? Really?
What were the chances of that?

My my, aren't we funny..?
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 02:00 PM   #39
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous

Next in line - Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin, if I can afford to get my hands on a copy.

I couldn't spare funds for it (next month, though...) so I'm reading a book a friend bought me as a present. Spellfire by Ed Greenwood. It's a Forgotten Realms book and it's ... well ... have you ever read a book and thought 'I'm enjoing it, but I could have written this SO MUCH BETTER!'? That's how it is. He's especially weak with dialogue. I think he subscribes to the school of thought that insists Fantasy characters speak like Orlando Bloom - wooden.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 02:08 PM   #40
Merlin
n/a flights since

Just finished Meg: Primal Waters and i must say that the trilogy is a must for any Jaws fans and i had to buy the first two books in hardback off Ebay.Ive got a few Paulo Coelho books piling up to read ive read The Alchemist(Which is going to be made into a movie starring Lawrence Fishburn) so i better get started on them.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 02:59 PM   #41
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

just finished Interesting Women by Andrea Lee. And hilariously funny read.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 03:23 PM   #42
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

I wish i could set my mind to rest to any old load of cobblers; ive taken to reading tutorials to a ridiculous art program ive downloaded, ill be here for the next 3 months.
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:17 PM   #43
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieraganion
Your right. I think he new that his was inadvertanly to blame for Claudia's death through Armond. That's why he refused, after burning down the theater, to leave with Armond and decided to remain alone. He's a masochist.

Speaking of Armond, has any one read "The Vampire Armond?" If so, how was it?

I am half way through it, then I had to read a few other books but I will be starting it up again shortly.

As far as I have gotten, Anne Rice amazes me. It is amazing, anfd I think she may have multiple personality disorder, because each book she writes takes on the voices of the writer (Interview's voice was louis, Armand's voice was Armand ect.) If you plan on reading it, expect plenty of Armand style writing. He bassically retells his life. Expect flowing style. It's good, and give insight into the lives of past, however I do not think that is her best book. Armand gives plenty of self pity. It has been a while since I picked up the book. I'm somewhat foggy on details. The feeling I remember from reading the book was whoa, tht's interesting. as it goes into graphic, yet still shadowy detail of Armand and sexual dealings, that could be considered pure fantasy. In it, his "master" sends him to various places to experience sexual pleasure as he won't be able to once he become a vampire. Weird, but good. I was shocked, because Anne being a woman, it is weird that she would be able to give details on homosexaul as well as hetrosexual encounter and explain how a man would feel. I am half way through on anotere book called blood canticle, and I really need to stop starting so many books.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:59 PM   #44
merlin
n/a flights since

Just received DOMAIN & GOLIATH today by Steven Alten so really looking forward to reading them.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 03:53 PM   #45
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Quintessa
I was shocked, because Anne ....

Youll learn.
mack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room