Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003
Dune Sequels Coming Soon

Yes Brain Herbert will be involved along with co-writer Kevin J Anderson, however this is the first time sequels (rather than prequels) have been attempted to Frank Herbert's orginal Dune series and they're allegedly to be based upon his notes.

Hunters of Dune picks up after Chapterhouse (that last FH novel) and will be followed by Sandworms - the writers felt the story too big to be told in one so they've broken it into 2 700pg pieces.

Now depending on your point of view Brain is the worst thing to happen to the Dune series, however he is working from the original creator's notes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifi.com
Anderson said that Frank Herbert's notes included a description of the story and a great deal of character background information. "But having a roadmap of the U.S. and actually driving across the country are two different things," he said. "Brian and I had a lot to work with and a lot to expand, now that we had Frank's original six novels and our six prequels to wrap up."
Here's the "but" while these 2 books will finish off the series as orginally envisioned, they have no intention of stopping there as long as people keep buying it seems they'll be pumping out more padding: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=37444&type=0
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Dune Sequels Coming Soon

I couldn't even handle the sequels Frank Herbert wrote...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:44 AM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Ditto. Dune - a masterpiece, tops just about every Great Science Fiction list to date. The rest are weak. As for Brian, I hear his stuff is pretty much pulp, enjoyable, but laughably inferior to the father.

Been my intention for years to complete the entire series of the Frank Hebert book, through Chapterhouse Dune which, as I understand it, is set on an Arrakis that has been transformed into an Eden like forested world (the ultimate culmination of the freeman water discipline).
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:44 PM   #4
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Agreed HWS. I really hope he leaves it alone. the prequels dont feel violative, because they are his attempt at a universe "before" and they dont markedly affect daddy's work.

NO BRIAN! NO! <---horror!
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:52 AM   #5
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

I enjoyed the two prequel trilogy's that Brian and Kevin did together, they were written well and again, maybe not as good as Frank's, they appeal to the reader's expectations of the new century. It's particularly nice to read what caused the Harkonnen/Atreides blood feud.

As for sequels after Chapterhouse, as curious as I am concerning what happened to the characters like Miles Teg, etc, I'm not sure it's a great idea to continue on. It would be like J.K. Rowling, after finishing the seventh Harry Potter book, (and as is expected actually kills Harry off) that someone later comes around to add more to the story, it won't be the same.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:43 PM   #6
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Vote on the poll at the bottom of this page!

http://www.arrakis.co.uk/prequels.html
mack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room