Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:32 PM   #16
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003
Re: Dollhouse

You haven't seen Helo fight yet (I have no clue what the actor is called, or the character in Dollhouse for that matter, but Helo is purdy, very purdy, Dollhouse boy not so much, bad hair cut, good arms but bad haircut). He gurns, a LOT.

(Not very attractive)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:34 PM   #17
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Sigh.

Ironically, though this thread is named in my honour, and this show has so many elements I love, I'm still not in a rush to see this thing. Hmmmmmmm....
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Seraph

Dushku is getting better, progressively so. <<<<< positive comment

Yep that's all I've g--

Ah tech boy, tech boy is good and it has Fred (but Fred is well, Fred without the "ed", aka morsely vacuous). Also, I kinda like Echo's handler, but he's not strong enough, given that, well, the other characters aren't strong enough either. Stupid, it has everything, yet it really doesn't have much at all.

WHAT THE HELL IS WHEDON DOING WITH HIS TIME????

(Other than occasionally kickin out an x-men comic or overseeing buffyverse ones?)
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:26 PM   #19
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

please. who didnt know melanie (melissa?) was a sleeper agent?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:49 PM   #20
mack
misanthrope

last friday's ep was the best one of the series so far. Dushku came up last in that one as well, imo. still, it was so nice to see the characters actually starting to get into their characters and gel. if nothing else, that episode really was a winning commercial for getting high and losing your inhibitions with your co-workers.

and yes, Topher is the high point as the funny man in the show. though i still think that the Doctor and Dewitt are really good prim/proper opposites to his kookyness.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:46 PM   #21
Seraph

Eliza being Eliza sans memories? Best acting yet. And the docs rocks (Fred & IT).

I'm also liking Victor more.

Being to have a sneaky suspicion that this show is a long slow burn grower - given that the majority of the characters have no "arcs" or progression/development (because they're programmed to be someone else next episode) yet I'm beginning to like and care what happens to them. Aaaand it likely won't get to proove that by being killed after the first season.

I did however like that they're all there because they choose to be, oooh tension and I sense a big bad rearing a shadow by season's end i.e. what group runs all the houses
Old May 6, 2009, 01:32 PM   #22
Seraph

Wicked episode, full of twists and turns. Who knew HE was going to be Alpha? Fab.

Feel like it finally hit full steam, Bonnie and Clyde here we go....

Oh oh oh:
Do we think this is the real Caroline or an imprint?
Old May 13, 2009, 07:42 AM   #23
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I think Dollhouse is finished and my decision to not bother with a single episode but instead opt for the full series DVD is confirmed.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 02:15 PM   #24
Seraph

On reflection, there are some really good character pieces outside of the mainstays and some nice quirky touches. It really picks up momentum towards the end, but I'm 50:50 on the finale.

I really don't think I liked the choice (actor) for Alpha (ironic given who it is). It does set up for S2 nicely, but I don't think it was strong enough. Played way too much off Natural Born Killers, and lost direction. On the plus side Echo really developed as a character on her own right, we had the only true ending for the detective, however as much as I love him, can't really say his character endeared me much.
Old May 14, 2009, 01:56 AM   #25
mack
misanthrope

who Ballard? you are correct about that. they did try though, and you can tell he did as much with the writing as he possibly could (and we know from BSG that he can really milk a character emotionally). It just goes to show that there isnt much there in terms of overall plot and script direction.

it wont be back.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:26 AM   #26
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Been renewed for a half-season order.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:31 AM   #27
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Saw that, maybe Fox feared another Whedon fan backlash? As long as they leave it on TV's ass end (Friday nights) - it's highly unlikely that it will survive to complete season two. Plus, I read this morning that FOX has canceled The Sarah Connor Chornicles so any SF Geek viewer lead in will be lost. It should come as no surprise that the show that gets plugged behind American Idol always makes it - this year it was Fringe. The rest, not so much and with FOX's itchy trigger fingers when it comes to cancellation - you have to ask why Joss Whedon threw his lot back in with the same bunch that killed Firefly.

I've yet to see an episode of Dollhouse - I don't know, too Alias for my taste - hardly compelling and looks humorless - which would be a shame if it were true since humor was such an essential of element of Buffy, Angel and Firefly.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 01:15 PM   #28
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Agreed on most points. It's an odd one too, a half-season isn't exactly a muscular show of confidence.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:41 PM   #29
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

BUMP - Ok so I watched only the first episode ages and ages ago and recently as I always have lots of time to kill whilst working nights, I decided to rekindle my interest and continue with it. I have to say I like it.

To be fair, every mind control type plot thing you have seen before or can think of will be in here, however so will a few that you won't have thought of, Dushku's acting does get better as the season goes on but is helped immensely by the supporting cast, in particular the guy who plays Victor, who I have to say is superb considering the myriad roles he must take on. (An American who can do an English accent!) I think if I had to wait for each episode week to week I would probably get bored, but having watched it all non stop for a few nights up to where we are now it really does draw you in, has enough mystery to it that it's quite fun to try and spot what the next twist will be.

As per usual it has every actor/actress who has ever been in any other Whedon show pretty much, so much so one could play a drinking game whilst watching, "drink when you spot someone who's been in Buffy/Angel/Firelfly, down your drink if they've been in all 3!"

Summer Glau's introduction was unsurprising, got her playing a somewhat deranged character again, though I think they may have taken it a little too far with the Dr. Strangelove glove, Dr. Frankenstein - "IT'S ALIVE" nature of the character, still, good for a few laughs.

What I will say is that it feels a little more grown up than all of Whedon's other shows, there is a definite undercurrent of nastyness to it which is refreshing. Though I think one reason why I may be enjoying the show so much is I'm trying to cram it all in whilst I await Damocles' sword to fall and take away this show just as it has so many others. It most definitely has the feeling of a show that doesn't know if it'll ever be on again so is really trying to keep the audience hooked. Nothing like the pressure of being sacked to raise your game.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum