Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Virus (1999)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Virus (1999)

Life on earth is in for a shock. | guide

Old Apr 12, 2002, 07:28 PM   #1
Surreal Fish
Pilot
19 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Best Movie Ever!

I didn't like this movie, it had a really bad climax and the acting was mediocre
Surreal Fish is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2002, 07:40 PM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Aaaah - so the title of the thread was sarcasm, no?

Jamie Lee Curtis, right? She's a pretty mediocre actress. I haven't seen this movie yet, but if no one likes it ... I never will
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2002, 01:04 AM   #3
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

If there is something this movie had, then it's Good actors and good acting. The cast was excelent. But with not much of a story to back it up.

Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2002, 04:28 PM   #4
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Good acting? HA!
Old Apr 18, 2002, 04:58 PM   #5
zombie84
Wing Commander
376 flights since Mar 2001

the story has been seen ten thousand times before and they wasted perfectly good acting talent to a terrible script.
The effects and makeup however, completly make up for the shortcomings, and the hammy acting adds to the whole B-movie atmosphere. Its not a great film, but its entertaining and a good 2-hour distraction. Love the gruesome cyborgs.
zombie84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:21 PM   #6
Kotetsu
Wing Commander
195 flights since Feb 2002
Location: I can't really remember where... but my house is blue. You find it...
Smile Re: Best Movie Ever!

Leave it to my buddy Surreal to have a name like that for a thread. Also leave it to him to (probably intentionally) completely miss the mark on one thing while at the same time hitting the other right on. Lame storyline, good cast is my oppinion.
Kotetsu is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2002, 04:32 AM   #7
Charlie
Wing Commander
342 flights since Mar 2002

The whole thing was a nightmare- SF/Horror- nothing left to the imagination. The cast were good--I just wish the story had been handled better. Who is John Bruno-the director-what's he done before?
Charlie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:53 AM   #8
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by zombie84
the story has been seen ten thousand times before and they wasted perfectly good acting talent to a terrible script.
The effects and makeup however, completly make up for the shortcomings, and the hammy acting adds to the whole B-movie atmosphere. Its not a great film, but its entertaining and a good 2-hour distraction. Love the gruesome cyborgs.

The gruesome cyborgs were a combination of Hellraiser 3 Cenobites and Terminator cyborgs. The CameraMan Cenobite looks so much like Sutherland cyborg in the movie.

This movie gathered unoriginal ideas from all around.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2002, 11:02 AM   #9
Dwayne Hicks
Wing Commander
259 flights since May 2002
Talking Re: Best Movie Ever!

i just hate this movie
Dwayne Hicks is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 10:07 PM   #10
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

I didn't think it was too bad, but I will agree that it was a basic B-movie. But, like it was said, the cast was excellent.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 05:25 AM   #11
DarkDragonNZ
Starfighter
69 flights since Feb 2002

This movie was pretty bad, probably because I missed about 10 minutes at the end. One minute Jamie Lee is captured by the big cyborg, then i'm watching a thing on Mohammed Ali, damn vcr, then they're in the water and being rescued, damn it
DarkDragonNZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:39 PM   #12
Unregistered
n/a flights since

I just saw it (well most of it) on TV recently and it seemed completely humourless and unoriginal. By the end I was only watching incase it was gonna hint that the monster was still alive so it could torture the cast a la hellraiser.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 01:48 PM   #13
King
Wing Commander
205 flights since Aug 2003

I have to agree with most of u ppul, there wasn't much to this movie, it could have been alot better, but still
at the time this came out
a few other movies simialr to it came out, and they were better :P
this movie was also somewhat disturbing
i dont want to say scary
just unsettling.
King is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 03:58 PM   #14
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Coulda shoulda woulda...

Having read the original comic and screenplay, this could have been a nice creepy winner of a movie. Unfortunately there were some cuts made that ruined it.

Go, download the oringinal trailer. Originally the whole point was that those who were converted ended up LIKING their new forms. They also had individuality... the only bit of which that DIDN'T get cut was Donald Sutherland's character... which is reworked to look like the evil entity was just faking them out. (ie, the way his voice changes to show it's the creature in control)

Curtis did good by the script. She was never meant to be the hero of this flick. The ship was originally Chinese. And there were a lot more little creatures before big ones in the comic. The whole point was, no matter what the form... these things are deadly... and set against the destruction of mankind. Typical evil alien plot, but hey... who wants another r ET arded happy alien flick.

The effects were top notch... but it's plain to see that studio execs and test audiences killed this puppy. The trailer itself shows the Engineer who gets converted keeping his mind.

Group: "You okay man?"
Engineer: "I am now..." *turning to reveal cyberoptic*

Instead they dumbed it down to mindless zombieborgs. It was supposed to be, "Damn... that's a fate worse than death." kind of vibe. That you kept your consciousness, even if the things reworked you totally. That despite how hideous they make you, you loved it... and were quite willing to sell your friends down the river to help out your new commune.

Hopefully one day the execs will release a director's cut... with extras on the making of the film... and all the cut scenes worked back in. Unfortunately, it didn't do quite well enough to warrant such an outing...
Old Dec 30, 2003, 04:41 PM   #15
Gul
Starfighter
122 flights since Dec 2003

I though it was alright

could of been better tough

liked the sexy russian chick, made it all worth while
Gul is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Virus (1999)