Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:46 PM   #31
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Re: The Obituaries Thread

Well. I've just been thru 2 funerals, skipped 3 more, and am going to a wedding soon.

so I guess its 2 funerals and a wedding, as opposed.......to the movie.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:32 PM   #32
The one......
Sector Marshall
600 flights since Dec 2002

WEll, I have 3 weddings to go to next year- sincerely I hope there are no funerals I feel I must attend....

*suddenly feeld like we're playing whose got the highest hand here*

Hope that the funerals went as well as they could and wasn't too emotional, Mack.

Anita Roderick was the body shop lady. She apparantly died of a brain hemorage (sp?) I think. Was watching catch up TV and the 60 second news beat from BBC3 informed me. She was around 64- which I am suprised at. Although I am pissed and could have my figures wrong.

Oh and can I say that one of the weddings is a civil ceremony between a lesbian couple, who are having a fancy dress, cross dress for their after party? Fecking brilliant!
The one...... is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:54 AM   #33
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

R.I.P. Colin Mcrae - world class rally driver. Killed in a helicopter crash.
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 03:11 AM   #34
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Wow. Admittedly, not being a follower of rally-driving, I've only heard of him through the computer game, but still, wow. R.I.P.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:09 PM   #35
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Originally Posted by Splendiferous
Fake tickets?

(The day it happened I had 3 emails from different people asking if I wanted cheap tickets to a Pavorotti gig)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:12 PM   #36
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Wow ... that's pretty callous ... either that or they're not exactly caught up with current affairs.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 03:08 PM   #37
Cluster Admiral

That's nothing. Days after Steve Irwin died there was a hoax email going round supposedly from Irwin's widow claiming that she needed to shift her husband's money out of the country...blah blah you know the drill. There is no low these people won't stoop to.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:24 PM   #38
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Let's get back on the topic, shall we?

Bond's Moneypenny, Lois Maxwell, Dies
Sept. 30, 2007, 10:22 AM EST

The Associated Press

LONDON — Lois Maxwell, who starred as Miss Moneypenny in 14 James Bond movies, has died, the British Broadcasting Corp. reported Sunday. She was 80.

The Canadian-born actress starred alongside Sean Connery in the first James Bond movie, "Dr. No," in 1962 as the secretary to M, the head of the secret service.

She died Saturday night at Fremantle Hospital near her home in Perth, Australia, the BBC cited a hospital official as saying.

Bond star Roger Moore said she was suffering from cancer.

"It's rather a shock," Moore, who had known her since they were students at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1944, told BBC radio.

"She was always fun and she was wonderful to be with," he said.

Born Lois Hooker in Ontario, Canada, in 1927, she began her acting on radio before moving to Britain with the Entertainment Corps of the Canadian army at the age of 15, the BBC said.

In the late 1940s, she moved to Hollywood and won a Golden Globe for her part in the Shirley Temple comedy "That Hagen Girl."

After working in Italy, she returned to Britain in the mid-1950s.

In addition to her 14 appearances as Miss Moneypenny, she also acted in Stanley Kubrick's "Lolita" and worked on TV shows including "The Saint," "The Baron, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)," and "The Persuaders!," the BBC said.

She was 58 when she appeared in her final Bond film, 1985's "A View To A Kill." She was replaced by 26-year-old Caroline Bliss for "The Living Daylights."

Her last film was a 2001 thriller called "The Fourth Angel," alongside Jeremy Irons.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:55 PM   #39
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Wow, I was surprised when I read this. I thought they were all gone.

Joey Bishop Dead at 89
Oct. 18, 2007, 12:14 PM EST
The Associated Press

Los Angeles -- Joey Bishop, the stone-faced comedian who found success in nightclubs, television and movies but became most famous as a member of Frank Sinatra's Rat Pack, has died at 89.

He was the group's last surviving member. Peter Lawford died in 1984, Sammy Davis Jr. in 1990, Dean Martin in 1995, and Sinatra in 1998.

Bishop died Wednesday night of multiple causes at his home in Newport Beach, publicist and longtime friend Warren Cowen said.

The Rat Pack became a show business sensation in the early 1960s, appearing at the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas in shows that combined music and comedy in a seemingly chaotic manner.

Reviewers often claimed that Bishop played a minor role, but Sinatra knew otherwise. He termed the comedian "the Hub of the Big Wheel," with Bishop coming up with some of the best one-liners and beginning many jokes with his favorite phrase, "Son of a gun!"

The quintet lived it up whenever members were free of their own commitments. They appeared together in such films as "Ocean's Eleven" and "Sergeants 3" and proudly gave honorary membership to a certain fun-loving politician from Massachusetts, John F. Kennedy, at whose inauguration gala Bishop served as master of ceremonies.

The Rat Pack faded after Kennedy's assassination, but the late 1990s brought a renaissance, with the group depicted in an HBO movie and portrayed by imitators in Las Vegas and elsewhere. The movie "Ocean's Eleven" was even remade in 2003 with George Clooney and Brad Pitt in the lead roles.

Bishop defended his fellow performers' rowdy reputations in a 1998 interview.

"Are we remembered as being drunk and chasing broads?" he asked.

"I never saw Frank, Dean, Sammy or Peter drunk during performances. That was only a gag. And do you believe these guys had to chase broads? They had to chase 'em away."

Away from the Rat Pack, Bishop starred in two TV series, both called "The Joey Bishop Show."

The first, an NBC sitcom, got off to a rocky start in 1961. Critical and audience response was generally negative, and the second season brought a change in format. The third season brought a change in network, with the show moving to ABC, but nothing seemed to help and it was canceled in 1965.

In the first series, Bishop played a TV talk show host.

Then, he really became a TV talk show host. His program was started by ABC in 1967 as a challenge to Johnny Carson's immensely popular "The Tonight Show."

Like Carson, Bishop sat behind a desk and bantered with a sidekick, TV newcomer Regis Philbin. But despite an impressive guest list and outrageous stunts, Bishop couldn't dent Carson's ratings, and "The Joey Bishop Show" was canceled after two seasons.

Bishop then became a familiar guest figure in TV variety shows and as sub for vacationing talk show hosts, filling in for Carson 205 times.

He also played character roles in such movies as "The Naked and the Dead" ("I played both roles"), "Onion-head," "Johnny Cool," "Texas Across the River," "Who's Minding the Mint?" "Valley of the Dolls" and "The Delta Force."

His comedic schooling came from vaudeville, burlesque and nightclubs.

Skipping his last high school semester in Philadelphia, he formed a music and comedy act with two other boys, and they played clubs in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. They called themselves the Bishop Brothers, borrowing the name from their driver, Glenn Bishop.

Joseph Abraham Gottlieb would eventually adopt Joey Bishop as his stage name.

When his partners got drafted, Bishop went to work as a single, playing his first solo date in Cleveland at the well-named El Dumpo.

During these early years he developed his style: laid-back drollery, with surprise throwaway lines.

After 3 1/2 years in the Army, Bishop resumed his career in 1945. Within five years he was earning $1,000 a week at New York's Latin Quarter. Sinatra saw him there one night and hired him as opening act.

While most members of the Sinatra entourage treated the great man gingerly, Bishop had no inhibitions. He would tell audiences that the group's leader hadn't ignored him: "He spoke to me backstage; he told me 'Get out of the way.'"

When Sinatra almost drowned filming a movie scene in Hawaii, Bishop wired him: "I thought you could walk on water."

Born in New York's borough of the Bronx, Bishop was the youngest of five children of two immigrants from Eastern Europe.

When he was 3 months old the family moved to South Philadelphia, where he attended public schools. He recalled being an indifferent student, once remarking, "In kindergarten, I flunked sand pile."

In 1941 Bishop married Sylvia Ruzga and, despite the rigors of a show business career, the marriage survived until her death in 1999.

Bishop, who had one son, Larry, spent his retirement years on the upscale Lido Isle in Southern California's Newport Bay.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:54 PM   #40
Cluster Admiral

Aaaah tis the end of an era.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:38 PM   #41
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Camelot threw me off, since I didn't remember him being in the movie, but he was Broadway's Camelot Dropping like flies lately, what a horrible way to die.

'Camelot' Star Robert Goulet Dies at 73
Posted: 2007-10-31 10:53:37
NYRG102, NYRG104

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Singer Robert Goulet has died at a Los Angeles hospital where he had been waiting for a lung transplant. His Broadway debut in "Camelot" launched his award-winning stage and recording career. He was 73.

Goulet was in good spirits as he waited for a lung transplant, even telling doctors before they inserted a breathing tube, "Just watch my vocal cords," his wife said.

The big-voiced baritone had been diagnosed last month with a rare form of pulmonary fibrosis.

Vera Goulet, his wife of 25 years, said they were last able to speak three weeks ago before the singer was placed on a respirator.

Longtime friend Wayne Newton said Goulet's sense of humor "kept my spirits up in some of the lowest valleys in my life."

"His incredible voice will live on in his music, and as Bob so brilliantly sang, 'There will be another song for him and he will sing it,' for God now has another singing angel by his side," Newton said in a statement.

The Massachusetts-born Goulet, who spent much of his youth in Canada, gained stardom in 1960 with "Camelot," the Lerner and Loewe musical that starred Richard Burton as King Arthur and Julie Andrews as his Queen Guenevere.

Goulet played Sir Lancelot, the French knight who falls in love with Guenevere.

He became a hit with American TV viewers with appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show" and other programs. Sullivan labeled him the "American baritone from Canada," where he had already been a popular star in the 1950s, hosting his own TV show called "General Electric's Showtime."

Goulet won a Grammy Award in 1962 as best new artist and made the singles chart in 1964 with "My Love Forgive Me."

"When I'm using a microphone or doing recordings I try to concentrate on the emotional content of the song and to forget about the voice itself," he told The New York Times in 1962.

"Sometimes I think that if you sing with a big voice, the people in the audience don't listen to the words, as they should," he told the newspaper. "They just listen to the sound."

While he returned to Broadway only infrequently after "Camelot," he won a Tony award in 1968 for best actor in a musical for his role in "The Happy Time." His other Broadway appearances were in "Moon Over Buffalo" in 1995 and "La Cage aux Folles" in 2005, plus a "Camelot" revival in 1993 in which he played King Arthur.

His stage credits elsewhere include productions of "Carousel," "Finian's Rainbow," "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," "The Pajama Game," "Meet Me in St. Louis" and "South Pacific."

Goulet also performed in movies ranging from the animated "Gay Purr-ee" (1962) to "Underground" (1970) to "The Naked Gun 2 1/2" (1991). He played a lounge singer in Louis Malle's acclaimed 1980 film "Atlantic City."

He returned to Broadway in 2005 as one half of a gay couple in "La Cage aux Folles."

Goulet had no problems poking fun at his fame, appearing recently in an Emerald nuts commercial in which he "messes" with the stuff of dozing office workers, and lending his name to Goulet's SnoozeBars. Goulet also has been sent up by Will Ferrell on "Saturday Night Live."

"You have to have humor and be able to laugh at yourself," Goulet said in a biography on his Web site.

The only son of French-Canadian parents, Goulet was born in Lawrence, Mass. After his father died, his mother moved the family to Canada when the future star was about 13.

He received vocal training at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto but decided opera wasn't for him. He made his first professional appearance at age 16 with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.

Pianist Roger Williams said he first met Goulet when he performed on a Canadian television show.

"He appeared on the last part of the show, and I knew then that he was a tremendous talent," Williams said. "He could shake a room with that big beautiful voice."

In his last performance Sept. 20 in Syracuse, N.Y., the crooner was backed by a 15-piece orchestra as he performed the one-man show "A Man and his Music."

Although Goulet headlined frequently on the Las Vegas Strip, one period stood out, evidenced by a photograph that hung on his office wall. It was the mid-1970s, and he had just finished a two-week run at the Desert Inn when he was asked to fill in at the Frontier, across the street.

Overnight, the marquees of two of the Strip's hottest resorts read the same: "Robert Goulet."

"I played there many, many years and have wonderful memories of the place," Goulet told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

His first two marriages ended in divorce. He had a daughter with his first wife, Louise Longmore, and two sons with his second wife, Carol Lawrence, the actress and singer who played Maria in the original Broadway production of "West Side Story."

Associated Press writer Ryan Nakashima in Las Vegas contributed to this report.

On the Net:

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
10/31/07 10:50 EDT
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:40 PM   #42
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

yet another great one passes on....

Daredevil Evel Knievel dies at 69

Associated Press, Updated 4 hours ago

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - Evel Knievel, the red-white-and-blue-spangled motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over crazy obstacles including Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

Knievel's death was confirmed by his granddaughter, Krysten Knievel. He had been in failing health for years, suffering from diabetes and pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable condition that scarred his lungs.
Knievel had undergone a liver transplant in 1999 after nearly dying of hepatitis C, likely contracted through a blood transfusion after one of his bone-shattering spills. He also suffered two strokes in recent years.

Longtime friend and promoter Billy Rundle said Knievel had trouble breathing at his Clearwater condominium and died before an ambulance could get him to a hospital.

"It's been coming for years, but you just don't expect it. Superman just doesn't die, right?" Rundle said.

Immortalized in the Washington's Smithsonian Institution as "America's Legendary Daredevil," Knievel was best known for a failed 1974 attempt to jump Snake River Canyon on a rocket-powered cycle and a spectacular crash at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. He suffered nearly 40 broken bones before he retired in 1980.

Even in his later years, Evel Knievel thrilled fans everywhere he went. (Barry Gossage / Getty Images)

"I think he lived 20 years longer than most people would have" after so many injuries, said his son Kelly Knievel, 47. "I think he willed himself into an extra five or six years."

Though Knievel dropped off the pop culture radar in the '80s, the image of the high-flying motorcyclist clad in patriotic, star-studded colors was never erased from public consciousness. He always had fans and enjoyed a resurgence in popularity in recent years.

His death came just two days after it was announced that he and rapper Kanye West had settled a federal lawsuit over the use of Knievel's trademarked image in a popular West music video.

Knievel made a good living selling his autographs and endorsing products. Thousands came to Butte, Mont., every year as his legend was celebrated during the "Evel Knievel Days" festival, which Rundle organizes.

"They started out watching me bust my ass, and I became part of their lives," Knievel said. "People wanted to associate with a winner, not a loser. They wanted to associate with someone who kept trying to be a winner."

For the tall, thin daredevil, the limelight was always comfortable, the gab glib. To Knievel, there always were mountains to climb, feats to conquer.

"No king or prince has lived a better life," he said in a May 2006 interview with The Associated Press. "You're looking at a guy who's really done it all. And there are things I wish I had done better, not only for me but for the ones I loved."

He had a knack for outrageous yarns: "Made $60 million, spent 61. ...Lost $250,000 at blackjack once. ... Had $3 million in the bank, though."

He began his daredevil career in 1965 when he formed a troupe called Evel Knievel's Motorcycle Daredevils, a touring show in which he performed stunts such as riding through fire walls, jumping over live rattlesnakes and mountain lions and being towed at 200 mph behind dragster race cars.

In 1966 he began touring alone, barnstorming the West and doing everything from driving the trucks, erecting the ramps and promoting the shows. In the beginning he charged $500 for a jump over two cars parked between ramps.

He steadily increased the length of the jumps until, on New Year's Day 1968, he was nearly killed when he jumped 151 feet across the fountains in front of Caesar's Palace. He cleared the fountains but the crash landing put him in the hospital in a coma for a month.

His son, Robbie, successfully completed the same jump in April 1989.

In the years after the Caesar's crash, the fee for Evel's performances increased to $1 million for his jump over 13 buses at Wembley Stadium in London - the crash landing broke his pelvis - to more than $6 million for the Sept. 8, 1974, attempt to clear the Snake River Canyon in Idaho in a rocket-powered "Skycycle." The money came from ticket sales, paid sponsors and ABC's "Wide World of Sports."

Knievel died just two days after he and Kanye West settled a lawsuit over Knievel's trademarked image. (Island Def Jam Music Group / Associated Press)

The parachute malfunctioned and deployed after takeoff. Strong winds blew the cycle into the canyon, landing him close to the swirling river below.

On Oct. 25, 1975, he jumped 14 Greyhound buses at Kings Island in Ohio.

Knievel decided to retire after a jump in the winter of 1976 in which he was again seriously injured. He suffered a concussion and broke both arms in an attempt to jump a tank full of live sharks in the Chicago Amphitheater. He continued to do smaller exhibitions around the country with his son, Robbie.

Many of his records have been broken by daredevil motorcyclist Bubba Blackwell.

Knievel also dabbled in movies and TV, starring as himself in "Viva Knievel" and with Lindsay Wagner in an episode of the 1980s TV series "Bionic Woman." George Hamilton and Sam Elliott each played Knievel in movies about his life.

Evel Knievel toys accounted for more than $300 million in sales for Ideal and other companies in the 1970s and '80s.

Born Robert Craig Knievel in the copper mining town of Butte on Oct. 17, 1938, Knievel was raised by his grandparents. He traced his career choice back to the time he saw Joey Chitwood's Auto Daredevil Show at age 8.

"The phrase one-of-a-kind is often used, but it probably applies best to Bobby Knievel," said former U.S. Rep. Pat Williams, D-Mont., Knievel's cousin. "He was an amazing athlete... He was sharp as a tack, one of the smartest people I've ever known and finally, as the world knows, no one had more guts than Bobby. He was simply unafraid of anything."

Outstanding in track and field, ski jumping and ice hockey at Butte High School, Knievel went on to win the Northern Rocky Mountain Ski Association Class A Men's ski jumping championship in 1957 and played with the Charlotte Clippers of the Eastern Hockey League in 1959.

He also formed the Butte Bombers semiprofessional hockey team, acting as owner, manager, coach and player.

Knievel also worked in the Montana copper mines, served in the Army, ran his own hunting guide service, sold insurance and ran Honda motorcycle dealerships. As a motorcycle dealer, he drummed up business by offering $100 off the price of a motorcycle to customers who could beat him at arm wrestling.

At various times and in different interviews, Knievel claimed to have been a swindler, a card thief, a safe cracker, a holdup man.

Evel Knievel married hometown girlfriend, Linda Joan Bork, in 1959. They separated in the early 1990s. They had four children, Kelly, Robbie, Tracey and Alicia.

Robbie Knievel followed in his father's footsteps as a daredevil, jumping a moving locomotive in a 200-foot, ramp-to-ramp motorcycle stunt on live television in 2000. He also jumped a 200-foot-wide chasm of the Grand Canyon.

Knievel lived with his longtime partner, Krystal Kennedy-Knievel, splitting his time between their Clearwater condo and Butte. They married in 1999 and divorced a few years later but remained together. Knievel had 10 grandchildren and a great-grandchild.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:08 AM   #43
Wing Commander
206 flights since Jun 2006

Verity Lambert: 1935-2007
Last Updated: 3:05am GMT 24/11/2007

Verity Lambert, the television and film producer who died on Thursday aged 71, launched the original series of Doctor Who.

Dogged, chain-smoking and flamboyant, Lambert was also a pioneering woman in British television. At the age of 28, she became the youngest producer at the BBC and the drama department's only woman producer when Doctor Who began the day after President Kennedy was assassinated in November 1963.

With a self-proclaimed ability to reduce strong men to tears, Lambert commanded a mixture of respect and fear, and confessed to operating on a short fuse. But she was modest about her success. "For any woman there has to be luck," she told one journalist at the height of her career, "and after that there is what you do with it."

After leaving the BBC in 1969 - following a nervous breakdown - she spent the 1970s and 1980s with Thames Television and Euston Films and since 1985 had run her own production company, Cinema Verity. Among her television production credits were some of the most popular successes of the last few decades, including The Naked Civil Servant, Minder, Widows and Jonathan Creek.

The concept of Doctor Who belonged to Lambert's boss, the Canadian producer Sydney Newman, and although she was not his first choice to produce the series, he was anxious to recruit his "very bright" protégée because - as he recalled - she was gutsy and "full of piss and vinegar".

Despite being launched at a moment of global anguish, Doctor Who rapidly became a hit, not least because of the popularity of the Daleks. Such was the cachet accruing to Lambert that in 1964 one newspaper ran a feature in praise of this "remarkably attractive young woman... Tall, dark and shapely, she became positively forbidding when I suggested that the Daleks might one day take over Doctor Who."

A lifelong populist, Lambert's single flop was her expensive "Eurosoap" Eldorado (1992-93). Although lavishly equipped with on-location production facilities and despite striving for a genuinely contemporary flavour, the series failed to appeal, and it was pulled after a year. One critic scorned it as "a £10 million farce that left the BBC with egg all over its entire body and put an awful lot of Equity members back on the dole... it will always be remembered as the most expensive flop of all time."

Verity Ann Lambert was born on November 27 1935, the only child of a Jewish accountant, and educated at Roedean, where she frightened herself watching Great Expectations on the school projector. After a year at the Sorbonne, her first job was typing menus at a hotel in Kensington which took her on because she had been to France and could speak French.

In 1956 she landed her first job in television, as a £7-a-week secretary in Granada's press office. Sacked after six months, she moved to ABC Television where she became production assistant to the drama director Ted Kotcheff and worked on the production of the Armchair Theatre series, overseen by the company's new head of drama, Sydney Newman.

As production assistant in a "live" gallery, Lambert had to take over as studio director in November 1958 when one of the actors died on the set of the play Underground, just before a scene in which he was supposed to appear. Meanwhile Kotcheff used a commercial break to reorganise the cast and cover the loss.

In 1961 Lambert went to the United States, and worked in New York as personal assistant to the American producer David Susskind. On her return to London, she again worked as a production assistant in ABC's drama department under Newman, promising herself that unless she was promoted within a year she would give up television and do something else.

When Newman moved to be head of drama at the BBC in 1963 he invited her to apply for the position of producer on a new children's science fiction series, Doctor Who. After 18 months Lambert moved on to produce the first eight episodes of the twice-weekly serial The Newcomers (1965-69), about a London family adapting to life in a small East Anglian town, and then supervised production on Adam Adamant Lives! (1966-67).

Later she produced 26 episodes in a collection of stories dramatised from the works of W Somerset Maugham; the series received the Society of Film and Television Arts award for the best drama series of 1969.

Lambert then moved to London Weekend Television to produce the endearing street life series Budgie (1971-72). For LWT she also produced Between the Wars (1973), a Maugham-like collection of little-known stories from writers of the 1920s and 1930s.

Although she returned briefly to the BBC to produce Shoulder to Shoulder (1974), a series of plays based on the suffragette movement, in July 1974 she joined Thames Television as head of drama. At Thames her projects included such critically-acclaimed and popular series as Rock Follies (1976), Rumpole of the Bailey (1978-92) and the seven-part miniseries Edward and Mrs Simpson (1978), starring Edward Fox and Cynthia Harris.

At around this time Lambert launched her "Plays for Britain" series - under the umbrella title of ITV Playhouse - then ITV's only series of single plays and made up of works from contemporary writers. Among the more notable successes was Philip Mackie's film of Quentin Crisp's autobiography, The Naked Civil Servant (1975), which won both the Prix Italia and an International Emmy.

In 1976 she became creatively responsible for running Euston Films (the film production arm of Thames TV) in addition to Thames's drama department, and in 1979 became chief executive of Euston Films. She was executive producer on the highly-regarded Euston series Out (1978), Minder (1979-94), Quatermass (1979), Fox (1980), Danger UXB (1979), Widows (1983) and Reilly - Ace of Spies (1983).

In 1982 she became director of drama for Thames and again assumed responsibility for the output of both Euston Films and the Thames drama department. Later that year she also became director of production for Thorn EMI Screen Entertainment. She was named Businesswoman of the Year for 1983.

Following her acrimonious departure from the restructured Thorn EMI, in November 1985 Lambert started up her own independent television company, Cinema Verity. Its first production, filmed in Australia, was Evil Angels (screened in Britain as A Cry in the Dark), the story of Lindy Chamberlain, whose baby was said to have been taken by a dingo. Starring Meryl Streep, it marked Lambert's debut as an independent film producer.

For television Lambert was executive producer (under her company banner) of the BBC sitcom May to December (1989-94). In a collaboration between the BBC, Australia's Channel Seven and Cinema Verity, Lambert produced two series of the anarchic comedy The Boys from the Bush (1991-92). Cinema Verity also produced, for Granada Television, the seven-part comedy-drama Coasting (1990) and Alan Bleasdale's drama GBH for Channel Four (1991).

More recently her productions included two series of the comedy-drama Class Act (1994-95), Lynda La Plante's second sequel to Widows, She's Out (1995), and two seasons of dramas by new writers, Capital Lives (1994-95), all for ITV.

For the BBC Lambert produced the second series of David Renwick's "locked-room" murder mysteries Jonathan Creek (1997) and (as co-producer with the actress Joanna Lumley) moulded the six-part adaptation of Elizabeth Jane Howard's wartime novels into The Cazalets (2001).

She was appointed OBE in 2002, and had been due to receive a lifetime award at the Women In Film and Television Awards next month.

Verity Lambert had been married to Colin Bucksey, the television director, from whom she was divorced; there were no children.
davecallaway200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 04:06 PM   #44
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
yet another great one passes on....
I thought he was already dead

edit: confused icon so doesn't work on white background
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:11 PM   #45
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

On a personal note, my best buddy cat, Chaos, passed away yesterday. She wasn't even 10 yet. Apparent heart failure due to complications from allergies, hyperthyroid, and an apparent infection. Elita-1 and I are very depressed right now, and the other four cats don't understand why their sister is gone.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]