Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Resident Evil (2002, 2004) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Resident Evil (2002, 2004) [movie series]

A secret experiment. A deadly virus. A fatal mistake.

Old Oct 31, 2004, 02:31 AM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
A Few Answers: Why Resident Evil Movies Dont Follow the Games

So Im surfing the web looking for something mildy related to Milla, and I ran across an interesting and informative website. Funny how I can never find these things when I am looking. The Devil is in the details, lurking, as they say.

Anyway, here are a few excerpts:

Paul Anderson: "I'm a huge fan of the Resident Evil games and have played all of them. As a die-hard fan, I wanted a movie version that is respectful of it, builds on its premise and delivers on its promise. To be scary you have to be unpredictable - and that's why I wanted to use a set of fresh characters. We couldn't use the Jill Valentine character from the first game, for example, as the fans would know she wasn't going to be killed because she pops up in the later games. The suspense dynamic of who is going to live, who is going to die and what people's allegiances are was only going to work with new characters. This approach also fits in with the world of the game which is constantly expanding and introducing new characters and locations."

This film is the explanatory prequel that game players have always wanted to see, using the scary mechanisms and devices that have become part of the Resident Evil cyber culture.

Anderson incorporated various other chosen references too, as he explains: "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and ]Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll are two of my absolute favourite books. I found the similarities between the Carroll literary masterpieces and the game's structure interesting. In both, a heroine goes on a strange journey underground and comes across many weird things. So I worked in the name Alice, Looking Glass House, the chess motif and the Red Queen computer. That's not going to come out of left field for the hardcore gamers either." In the last game, Resident Evil - Code: Veronica, one of the monsters is named Bandersnatch, which is a creature from the Jabberwocky poem featured in Through the Looking Glass.'

Resident Evil was filmed on location in and around Berlin, Germany, and on stages at Studio Berlin, in the East Berlin suburb of Adlershof and produced by Bernd Eichinger.

Evidently, Eichinger came up with the idea of making a horror movie that wasnt to horrific, when he saw a few people in the office playing it RE. He went to Japan and successfully pitched the idea to Capcom.

Eichinger: "The problem was always going to be how to get film audiences to experience the terror of an interactive game without being able to use the interactive element. The answer lay in not imitating the game in every detail but in replicating its feelings of total shock and horror."
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: A Few Answers: Why Resident Evil Movies Dont Follow the Games

Anderson blew it. Plain and simple, just most any film franchise he gets his hands on.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 09:54 AM   #3
mack
misanthrope

Am I the only one here who liked the movie?

THAT movie got me started playing the RE games, and to be honest, I can see why he changed it up. How else would the serious RE gamers be able to enjoy the flick when they KNOW what is going to happen? How boring.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 09:57 AM   #4
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003

I liked the movie mack. And I completely agree with you about the movie. And way it had to by difrrent.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 01:59 PM   #5
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

I would have liked the movie more if I hadn't already been a fan of the original games. Plus, the final baddie, come on, a mutated Licker? That sucked.

I would have much preferred a regular Tyrant.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 08:37 PM   #6
mack
misanthrope

Which game is the Licker from?
Old Nov 3, 2004, 10:03 PM   #7
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

The Licker first showed up in Resident Evil 2. Leon makes its acquaintance in one of the halls in the R.C.P.D.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 06:30 PM   #8
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

As the Anderson apologist of this site, I am quite happy with his work.

In my view, he's great at making video-game movies. That's 3 so far, and I liked them all. He has good skill in retaining the look and feel of the original source, yet presenting it in a novel way.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 04:16 AM   #9
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

I must say that I am more then happy how Resident Evil (the movie) was made. The ending result was not only a prequel to RE Games but can be considered a prequel to almost all zombie flicks, or at least the Night of the living dead series.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 07:10 AM   #10
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

RE was a great film for what it was.
It didn't promise a huge amount and delivered.
It's fun, entertaining, a bit scary/jumpy in places - and almost entirely predictable.
But I liked it.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:32 AM   #11
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivanhoe
I must say that I am more then happy how Resident Evil (the movie) was made. The ending result was not only a prequel to RE Games but can be considered a prequel to almost all zombie flicks, or at least the Night of the living dead series.

HAHA

IT'S NOT A PREQUAL TO THE GAMES!

it may have been intended as that, but it's not anymore!

Capcom made resident evil ZERO for the gamecube which tells the real story of how it all started, and blows the movie out of the water and then moves in to finish off any chance it had of being official cannon.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:53 AM   #12
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Bob

HAHA

IT'S NOT A PREQUAL TO THE GAMES!

it may have been intended as that, but it's not anymore!

Capcom made resident evil ZERO for the gamecube which tells the real story of how it all started, and blows the movie out of the water and then moves in to finish off any chance it had of being official cannon.

Could you provide some plot spoilers if you finished playing it?

I am interested what is the official prequel story according to the publisher of RE games?
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:09 PM   #13
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

the official prequal story to resident evil

Taking place just a few hours before Resident evil...
Before Alpha team, there was Bravo..

the game opens with a figure in white standiong on a mountain top and watching a train below, we witness the passengers on the train being attacked by some sort of parasite...

Later ...while in the mountain forest...

Rebecca chambers and the S.T.A.R.S Bravo team find a ruined High-security prisoner transport truck, two dead guards and a prisoner transport manifesto, the prisoner being transported, Military prisoner Billy Coen, thus a manhunt begins...

Not too long afterwards, Rebecca finds a stopped passenger train, She mounts it searching for the escaped Convict, but finds only the corpses of the train's passengers, they come alive, and she is forced to defend herself

During her search of the train,, one of her team members leaps through the windows to escape the cereberus's in the wood, not long afterwards he dies, The train starts moving (how unknown)
and is rescued from a new type of zombie by billy Coen.

forced to work together the two characters make there way through the train until after a series of events, it crashes and they end up at a mansion training facility (not the mansion from the games), they make there way through this facility working together and Billy saves rebbecca from certain death again,

after making there way through the training mansion and to a church behing it, underneath the church they find a cable car system, Billy is attacked while activating it and falls, Rebbeca uses the cable car in a vain attempt to find out billy's fate

She ends up at the factory from resident evil 2 (the one at the very end of it) there she meets up with Enrico and tells him she hasn't found Billy Coen, after Enrico leaves, Rebecca is attacked by the prototype-tyrant ,

after she puts the giant down, she heads down to another sector of the factory not seen in the games, and there finds Billy and they begin to escape from this place, then they meet up with the figure in white,

the figure in white tells them that he was once head of umbrellas research and development and was assainated by them, but when he was killed he was working with a mutated leeches and these leeches restored both his life and his youth, and he released the virus to get revenge on umbrella

He mutates into a monster and they kill him, and escape up a lift, but he attacks again even more mutated, Rebecca opens up the roof and lets light pour in on the giant leech monster, but it is finally killed by Billy coen with a magnum ...

FInally after all this, Rebecca tells Billy he is free to go and that she will report him as dead (to understand why this is important you need to play the game)

they split, Billy free to live his life, and rebecca heads to the mansion of the first game
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:34 PM   #14
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Billy free to live his life until somebody spots him again. Damn those pesky authorities
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:46 PM   #15
mack
misanthrope

oooooh you! Now I have a jones to play the games!

CSI will have to suffice.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Resident Evil (2002, 2004) [movie series]